One Propane Tank - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #21

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If you don't have propane appliances then you don't need it.
I don't have any propane appliances
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you don't have propane appliances then you don't need it.
I don't have any propane appliances
And, if you don't have a trailer . . .
Old 03-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
This is what Scamp sells for a securing a bottle. It looks like what some of the 70's Bolers came with. Maybe you could make them work or fashion something similar.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...ap-detail.html
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:48 AM   #24

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, if you don't have a trailer . . .
then I would have a van
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:03 AM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
yeah, the all 120VAC thing would be awful for me, we boondock too much. In fact, we boondock more than we stay in trailer parks with juice. and I don't want a generator running long hours, either.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
generators

I always thought a generator was a must have I finally got a 40f converted eagle bus one time that had one in it. it was a big cat it ran the 2 overhead a/c on top of the bus for a/c while going down the road.

everything in the bus was 110 not a good thing when deciding to boondock hard to find a place where I didn't make everyone upset with the noise and it wasn't cheap to run.

although it ran on diesel it was a loud dude and consumed lots of fuel. as we have moved to a much simplier method of camping I just cant find any reason to justify dealing with a generator.

Our 13f scamper is a simple rig a propane fridge and that is it. if we want hot water we get our single burner gas stove out heat some water if we want to cook we use it. after 4 trips to Europe and finding no coleman fuel I found this one that runs on reg. gas.

we need no a/c we camp a lot in mo. hot humid wx no hook-ups we spend our time outside by 8pm or so we go in hook up our 12v fan and by 11pm we are shutting it off.

I don't want anymore complications in my camping life. the simplier I can make it the better! I am not a tinkier I don't want to be one I want to stop and enjoy my time! we do watch our expenses also.

believe it or not but any trip we take our battery lasts until we get back home and that can be as much as 1 mo. I did put a radio in the scamper but primarily for wx reports!

good luck with whatever decision you make

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
This is what Scamp sells for a securing a bottle. It looks like what some of the 70's Bolers came with. Maybe you could make them work or fashion something similar.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-...ap-detail.html
Works, but not exactly convenient. Bottom bolts are hard to access- practically have to lay on the ground- and subject to rust, crud, and road damage.

I've been lusting after Greg's set-up for a while. One small tank to fuel the trailer, and the other to remove and fuel our outdoor kitchen.

They're just so doggone expensive!

I agree that refilling is not a big issue. I tried the swap thing once. Ended up with a worse and older tank than the one I let go of. Fool me once...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #28

Missouri
the sort of fool you

they put those slip covers over those old tanks you cant tell the condition until you take them off. I have painted both my tanks but I have quit hauling a spare around since I figured out the truck stop fill!

that is a big reason why I use truck stops for my propane fill plus I think you get more for your money!

bob
Old 03-26-2018, 07:19 AM   #29

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It works, but not exactly convenient. Bottom bolts are hard to access- practically have to lay on the ground- and subject to rust, crud, and road damage. ....
After the first time removing the tank on my Scamp, I modified things with those hold downs.. I replaced the already rusting bolts with short lengths of SS threaded rod with a nylock nut on top and a spacer with wingnuts on the bottom. Now I can change out the tank with no tools. I use a bicycle cable and padlock as a backup for the hold-downs and to deter theft.

Note that my Scamp also has small "L" brackets (< one inch) welded to the tongue to hold the tank base (inexpensive method), whereas the two-tank mounts I am familiar with use a tray mounted to the tongue.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #30

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
. I tried the swap thing once. Ended up with a worse and older tank than the one I let go of. Fool me once...
If you are lucky and have the right person helping do the swap, you can pick out a tank that has a recent date and in good condition. This is a good opportunity to get rid of an old tank that is going to need an inspection soon.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #31

Arizona
Registry
I was unlucky, I guess. I was given no opportunity to pick and choose.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:45 PM   #32

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Works, but not exactly convenient. Bottom bolts are hard to access- practically have to lay on the ground- and subject to rust, crud, and road damage. ...
I agree, my old tent trailer had a single 30 lb tank with bottle wingnuts at the bottom of clamps similar to what I suspect you're describing..

what helped immensely for me was replacing the bolts and wingnuts with stainless steel, along with new lock washers. I also put a nylock nut on the bolt torqued up against the trailer frame, so the bolt couldn't spin and was captive, then put clamps down over the bolt, then lock washer and wingnut from the top.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #33

Missouri
yes no pick an choose

yep if you go to one of those dispenser things you are out of luck if I remember right! door opens one tank I think I swapped out a brand new tank I had bought at home depot!

bob
Old 03-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #34

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Mind had a bolt with the top part being square. That stayed seated in the metal that the bottle was sitting on. I then had had a nut that was a couple inches long so I could always get a wrench on it. Never had to take them out completely as after loosening a bit, the bracket would come off the bottle. Only problem I ever had was finding the right sized wrench the first time!

Quote:
Works, but not exactly convenient. Bottom bolts are hard to access- practically have to lay on the ground- and subject to rust, crud, and road damage.

I've been lusting after Greg's set-up for a while. One small tank to fuel the trailer, and the other to remove and fuel our outdoor kitchen.

They're just so doggone expensive!

I agree that refilling is not a big issue. I tried the swap thing once. Ended up with a worse and older tank than the one I let go of. Fool me once...
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #35

Missouri
dispenser things

I haven't used those dispenser racks too much do they have a sensor to check the tank you are returning? you know the dates and stuff?

bob
Old 03-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #36

Arizona
Registry
In my case an employee came outside, opened a small door and pulled out the front tank. My empty went into another door.

I suppose I could have asked him to pull out more, wait while I inspected each one and picked the best, and then put them all back. His attitude and demeanor did not encourage me to do that.

I was curious, but not impressed in the end. I decided that it was no less trouble than getting a tank filled and only a little faster.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #37

Missouri
propane tanks

now you can pick one up any hours using your c/c

catch up jon just funning

bob
Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #38

Mid Left Coast
when a pair of my very clean tanks were past date, the refiller guy said 'we'll just swap them' and found me two almost new tanks in the swap cage. fills are about $18 locally, swaps are $20-28, but swaps are only filled with 15 lbs, while fills are 4.5 gallons * 4.2 lb/g == 19 lbs.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I have never swapped out a tank from one of those cages. I always find a fill station. I have two regular tanks on the Escape 21 and one 11 pounder in rhe front box. I had an out of date tank in my shed. I went to use it on my big gas grill. It had a bad o ring seal and would shut off but not seal when on the hose. I took it to the big locally owned propane place. The guy weighed it, let me pick a full one with 4 years left on the code date out of about 15 on the dock and only charged me for the difference in the weight. They fill them full and charge the going rate. Then they give you a card and after 5 fills the sixth one is free. And that is why I buy local every time I can. Propane, lumber, softener salt, fishing line, shoes, you name it.
For the little more it might cost me, it’s well worth it to me.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #40

Missouri
good idea

dave never thought of that one one will do a looksee! although in 2 years I have only used one tank so far and that is heating also!

thanks

bob

Tags
propane