One Propane Tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
One Propane Tank

I am considering just running one propane tank and mounting my Honda generator on the other side. Other than changing the regulator or plugging off one side of it, what is used to clamp it down? The present one spans both tanks and is tightened down in the middle of the two.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Google "single propane tank holder" and you will see all sorts of different products for attaching and securing a single tank. Here's one:
http://www.hannarv.com/P/PropaneLPGa...ountingR/23451

An alternative, if tongue weight is not an issue, is to keep both tanks and use an over-tank platform for the generator. Here's one:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Cargo/St...oaAlweEALw_wcB
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Propane

I’ve seen single tanks mounted with a couple pieces of all thread with the top end bent to hook the open holes in the ring that protects the valve and tightened down with nuts and a washer under the plate the tank rests on. The Honda will take a little thought to make it secure. The second side of the regulator might be adaptable to a quick connect for a remote hookup of a propane accessory. Gotta think outside of the six pack carrier.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Not quite the "one tank" set-up you're seeking, but I installed two half-sized tanks to replace my two "20 Pounders" since I'm not very propane dependent for inside the trailer. I bring a separate 5 gallon composite tank exclusively for our outdoor cooking, (which is basically all our cooking.)

I don't use an over the tank generator rack, mainly because I wouldn't want my generator mounted up that high in the air anyway, based on most of the generator racks I have seen people install. I think that an over the tank rack on top of these shorter tanks would be a bit more well-suited and balanced looking if that's the way you want to go. Just a suggestion a little bit "outside the box." You'd still have the same amount of propane capacity as your single tank, but the nice thing is that if you run your "one tank" empty, you're out of luck. With two tanks, if I should run one empty, I have another one to switch over to, so then I know I need to get one filled. At least, I wouldn't find myself in a bind for propane by running out my single tank setup. (FWIW, I carry my Honda 2000 in the bed of my pickup.) YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
casita 012.JPG   Keder Rail1.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
holder-clips

they make rods that run down from the top of the tanks held on at the bottom by nuts with your short guys might be a challenge to do that.

might consider some all thread but I don't know if it will hold up to bending or not.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
An alternative to the idea of bending all-thread rod to secure the shorter, half sized tanks, is too purchase the standard length hooks, cut them to the length needed and then use a die to cut new threads onto the ends.

Thanks for posting the idea of short tanks with an overhead rack for a generator. Your ideal just solved my issue of how to fit my i1000 Honda generator, a half height propane tank and a portable air compressor onto the tongue.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On our old pop-up camper the single tank sat between a couple pieces of steel angle and was bolted to them through holes in the base of the tank. Certainly not the easiest to remove though.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
An alternative to the idea of bending all-thread rod to secure the shorter, half sized tanks, is too purchase the standard length hooks, cut them to the length needed and then use a die to cut new threads onto the ends.

I had not considered the idea of putting a rack over shorter tanks. Very interesting solution, I like it.
Maybe the tanks over the genset?
It would make more security for the genset and it might be easier to remove the tanks to refill them.

How about the genset placed front to back with one tank over it? More compact and all within the frame?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I used two turnbuckles with hooks to clamp down my single tank down
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #10

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
All good ideas! Was just out looking at the set up and am thinking maybe I can use the present All Thread for both the tank and gen. Maybe making an L bracket with a hole in one end for the All Thread and run through the handle of the gen and bolted down to the frame on the other side. Not sure about the other side with the tank. I also like the idea of using the second regulator for an accessory, like for cooking outside. This is a great site with lots of valuable info. Thanks to everyone.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
downside of using anything other than 20 lb tanks is you can't exchange them, yuou HAVE to find a filling station
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Maybe the tanks over the genset?
It would make more security for the genset and it might be easier to remove the tanks to refill them.

How about the genset placed front to back with one tank over it? More compact and all within the frame?
It might make it more slightly more secure but my ultimate goal is to not have to move the genset out of a box in order to use it. It is essential for my to avoid heavy lifting. In my research I came across a company that has designed such a box and they do put them on top of racks over propane. While they don't offer one for my Honda i1000unit I could use some of the same style of removable deck plate fittings to fabricate something very similar.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or?
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...00/p12822.html
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 11.06.33 PM.png  
Old 03-24-2018, 02:33 AM   #14

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That base is another good choice for security from it walking or falling off the tongue.

Being belt and suspenders I want protection to keep mother nature from robbing me of my investment. Critters, dust, rain, mud, sun, and most especially flying rocks. A rock put a hole right through the shell on the front of my trailer. My genset has a plastic body, it needs a coat of armor if it is going to live on the tongue.

Lots of things to think about when leaving our belongings out there on the front porch.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #15

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I need 2 tanks. I use (2) 20 pounders in the OMW Overtank platform. But I think Gregs concept of (2) half size tanks is the best way to go. It would be so much easier to change out the tanks come refilling time. A number of times while on the road I had to pull the tanks out of the Overtank and it is a real pain with the 20 pounders. Now why did I not think of that?

You really need 2 tanks for when you run out of propane at a critical time, say in the middle of a cold night, or the middle of cooking dinner.

Thanks Greg!
Rzrbrn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #16

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
our propane method

henry when we cook we use a coleman single burner stove hardly ever inside it runs on reg. gas. our heating is done by a wave 3 it sips propane. our single tank lasts us a long time we did a 3 week trip to az 5k boondocked all the way.

our rig is a 13f scamper in 18d wx it stays warm. I never take the tank off just pull up to a loves and get it filled. last time it took 21/2 gal this after the long 3 week trip and other stuff!

I would think going to campgrounds and using an electric heater propane use would be very low!

running out of propane in cold wx boondocking would be bad but maybe poor planning would be the result!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Bob

Thanks for sharing. I am beginning to see the problem.

I just bought a Coleman Guide series dual fuel two burner stove because it uses Coleman fuel; my first double burner gas stove. I have used a single burner Svea 123 for backpacking. Normally I use a double propane stove when car camping. We seldom stay in one place more than 2 to 3 days, so not sure how this will work out for us.

I also take my Blackstone propane grill.

The furnace in the Casita really does consume a lot of fuel, as does the hot water tank, although less so.

I fill up before we go, usually for 4 to 5 months, high mountain, primitive and boondocking camping. I usually have to fill one 20 lb and one 10 lb tank after about 3 months.

We just don't spend much time in cities or driving the Interstates and so don't always have a chance to fill the propane tanks at those places that have long hoses. Also I have an Orbital Machine Works Overtank platform and many places require the tank be dismounted.

I also do not do a lot of planning any more. I had to on the job but I am retired now and just like to wing it as much as possible. We just poke around, here and there. Consequently we get caught in strange situations now and then. Snow bound in August on top of a mountain for instance.
Rzrbrn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Be Sure to secure the generator to prevent theft. A cable and lock.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
downside of using anything other than 20 lb tanks is you can't exchange them, yuou HAVE to find a filling station
True, but then, I really don't plan on exchanging them, or have any need to do so. In fact, I don't even remember the last time I even turned one on. We generally stay where there are full hook-ups, or at least electricity and water. We use a small electric heat cube for heating, or the A/C for cooling, if needed. We have, but don't use the propane furnace, and we use electric for hot water heater. (Yes, the HWH and the furnace, as well as the stove, are also propane capable, but we use electricity.) Still, I will always keep the propane tanks just for those times to use it if I need it, if that day should ever arrive. Those two little tanks were filled 3 years ago when I swapped out the large ones, and they have yet to be used. So, you can see why I didn't want to lug around two of the heavy "20 Lb. tanks" that I also never used. I'm sure getting them filled would not be a problem. They fill just like the big ones. Besides, the big tanks work real good on my back deck for the Weber grill. I do pack one 5 gallon light-weight composite tank to use with my 2 burner Camp Chef stove, and we do all our cooking outside on it. I just carry it in the pickup inside the canopy shell.

And I don't exchange my big tanks either unless they are totally crapped up and rusting. Then, and only then, will I get a "swap out tank." I always get my tanks filled at a propane seller. Those tank exchange places charge a lot more, and also give you less propane at the same time.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #20

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
propane tanks

Leave the propane tanks and get a propane generator and mount the generator on top of the tanks. Don't have to store gas
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane