Oops! Opened the foot pedal for a Sealand 911-M28 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 94 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Oops! Opened the foot pedal for a Sealand 911-M28

It's a few years after all some good advice not to trade in my fine china for plastic, but the old Sealand 911-M28 has sprung a few leaks. I ordered a new bowl seal and water valve and set about following a set of online instructions to make it all clean and pretty again. Then, Oops!

My instructions were not for a 911, a fact I didn't catch until I removed the screw that holds the foot pedal into its spring. Boing! Parts came flying out much faster than I could see where they came from. Oh wait, they came from under that cap engraved "Do Not Remove."

When assembled, it looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	61214

Here are the loose parts:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	61215

Anyway, with replacement parts on order, I hate to junk this fine old throne because I can't figure how to put it back together with everything in the right place and the spring under tension. Is it hopeless?

The Mission Impossible is to get them back into proper position, a task that involves somehow cranking that spring. The sort of oval plastic part fits over the square shaft that rotates the toilet ball. The spring fits into a hole in the oval piece. Then the tab of that piece (as shown in the first photo) moves in an arc as the foot pedal is pressed down, causing the spring to return the pedal (and the toilet ball) into closed position.

Realistically, I need to find someone who has put this part back together or who has enough mechanical know-how to talk me through it. There's a good reason why it was marked "Do Not Remove," and this post is it. If I can't restore the pedal mechanism, the rest of the toilet is, well, in the toilet.

Any ideas?
AZCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Charlie
Looks like you took apart the spring cartridge. Never had one that far apart, On a rebuild I think you just replace the cartridge in one piece. Is this the piece you have on order? I would think you just pull the rest of the cartridge out of the hole and replace the assy. Attaching a thread that might help.
Eddie
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ent-58959.html
Check out the last post from Carol on this thread and the link which may help you.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-me-57297.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Here is a good set of instructions. You just need to replace the spring cartridge. Note step 5.
How to Understand and Repair a SeaLand Marine RV Toilet | eHow
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 94 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Eddie, thanks for th comments. On another site, I found out that I can use a spring cartridge as a replacement. My 911-M28 was made before spring cartridges were in use, so it literally is just a spring and some loose parts. I was at Step 5 of that set thinking I could remove a cartridge when I foolishly undid the cap on the spring. Trust me on this, when I get a cartridge, I won't try to open it.
AZCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote