options for front top bunk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
I was preparing to paint the inside of our boler today,so I took a closer look at the support for the top front bunk. Noticed the fibreglass support for the top bunk is at half mast. Sagging down to 45 degrees. When I took the rigid fibreglass piece off, I see a piece of wood (soft, previously wet from the window dribbling) sandwiched between 2 layers of fibreglass, one coming from the bottom, and one from above the wood, behind the ensolite. Am I right about the backing structure? We don't see ourselves needing a top bunk for several years, at least. ( No grandkids in th near future), but hope to be able to use this egg with grandkids in the future. If not in use, is the support in the back of your head when the front is in couch mode? Would it be better to take it out now, patch the ensolite, and rebuild it all when we need it? (Not that we'd have a clue what to do then) Any options for repairing it now,putting some kind of cover over it, but leaving the bunk out? Looking for ideas... Thanks again!
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:50 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Peggy, on my Lady-Bug, an 1980 13 foot Boler the hinge comes off the underside of the bunk and attaches to the ledge so when in the bench seat mode the3" thickness of the cushion keeps your back and head well away from the ledge.
I would replace the wood know and be ready or do as my wife and I do when the Grand kids do not come with us. Put the bunk up and use it as an extra shelf for things while camping.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #3

So, if I replace the wood now, I wonder how to get it off, without damaging anything else. Right now, the top layer of fibreglass of the "sandwich" is not attached to the piece of wood, but the bottom fibreglass is attached. How to get that off the piece of wood? Can it be steamed off, or ? some type of solvent? I'd rather not cut it, because the other end of the bottom piece of fibreglass is still nicely adherent to the trailer ,behind the ensolite. Hope I am being clear in the description. Don't know how to do photos, yet. Thanks, fellow bolerites!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Peggy, we had the same thing with our Boler. Because we only take one grandchild with us at a time(This gives them extra time and attention, which they love) we converted the front to a dinette. Using a folding stool three people can eat at one time and the table drops down to a bed the same as the rear dinette. We covered the wood with white vinyl and mounted a shelf on it. Even before we did the dinette the wood was not a problem with puffy bed pillows for backrests. It we sell sometime in the future everything can be repaired and put back on.
Attached Images

Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #5

Thanks, Barbara for the pictures. I think Gerry is right, we should fix it now. I was just wanting to ignore it, so I could get on with the painting,something that makes the big impact! Anyway, as I said, I took it apart, and the wood ledge clearly needs to be replaced, but is still very nicely stuck to the fibreglass cloth on the bottom. That fibreglass cloth is still good and stuck behind the ensolite. So, I need to get the old wood off, but leaving the fibreglass there to accept the next wooden ledge. Any thoughts about how to do this, without causing more damage? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
One thing that I have found out working on these Bolers one has to have more patients to do a job then anything else.
Not knowing or ever haveing seen the wood I assume it is a piece of Plywood and if it is soft I would use a sharp wood chisel to take the wood of to as close to the glass as I could, If you could get an electric saw in there set saw to about 1/8 lower depther then the actual wood then chisel from there.
Patients is the key.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Anyway, as I said, I took it apart, and the wood ledge clearly needs to be replaced, but is still very nicely stuck to the fibreglass cloth on the bottom. That fibreglass cloth is still good and stuck behind the ensolite. So, I need to get the old wood off, but leaving the fibreglass there to accept the next wooden ledge. Any thoughts about how to do this, without causing more damage? Thanks!
The wood on mine was the ground up stuff (chipboard or fiber board), since it was rotted it came off pretty easy with a chisel, putty knife and flat screwdriver. Followed up with a wire brush down to the fiberglass. I cut a new peice of solid wood to fit, mixed some FG resin and coated both the wood and FG where the surfaces met. By the next day everything was strong enough to hold up the dining table. It looks more difficult than it actually is.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #8

Okay, sounds like a bit of a job, but we'll try your suggestions. Thanks!