Options for replacing insulation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Triple e surfside
Ontario
Options for replacing insulation

I have a Triple E surfside, with the yellow foam insulation with a sprayed on rubberized material that looks like the old popcorn ceiling found on some house ceilings. It's falling off, cracked and not salvageable. It's definitely not ensolite (it's yellow upholstry type foam, maybe 1/2 inch thick).

So can anyone give me any ideas about a cheap replacement for this stuff? I've seen some hull liner that looks like it may be nice, but I honestly can't imagine how I would get it installed with all the rounded corners and what not. Anyway, would love to hear from you guys regarding ideas.
cunninro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mark. You're looking to embark on a rehab, I'm not sure I'd want to do. But, it sounds like it needs to be done.

The key word in your post was "cheap." That's pretty subjective. There are all kinds of insulation and interiors in these trailers and they run the gambit for cost. Ryan just put ensolite in his rebuild of the Trillium Sportsman... covering plus glue cost him about $1,500.

There's carpet like Casita uses, marine headliner + reflectix like Scamp uses, ensolite which is common in many brands, hulliner that Robert Johans puts in his rehabs, etc. Then there's something like this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-46674.html

Others may point the way to different materials...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: Triple e surfside
Ontario
Ya, $1500 is out of the question. I'm having a big time "buyers remorse" episode about my trailer. It looked good, but now that I'm digging into it I see that it was a "makeup/lipstick" job that was done on it to make it look better than it is

Long story short, I really don't want to throw good money after bad with the trailer, but in it's current shape it's unacceptable inside.
cunninro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mark, it is also about expectations. More than one person has removed the ensolite, etc. replaced it using a spray on/roll on bedliner material. It would provide a bit of insulation and noise reduction solution and it comes in colors. Here's one: Grizzly Grip if you SHOULD decide to go this route, just make certain the material is suitable for interior use. You wouldn't want outgassing to prevent you from using the trailer.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #5

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I used reflux ($200) and foil tape ($16) and pl400 (it use too cold for anything else $50), then used indoor outdoor carpet that is uv stabilized ($160) and put it up with contact cement (it had warmed up $80). If I wanted to be cheap the carpet would insulate a little, and has no seams (took a day of trimming to hide them).

The thread is here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...d-57935-2.html
or you can see it in more detail at OurBoler, Family Outdoor Adventures

I did the same thing, bought a trailer already insulated, then found a few places leaking behind the insulation and mold so pulled it out and drove up the budget. Instead of a small job it became a full rebuild.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
If I were in your shoes, I'd think about some kind of paint-on rubberized coating.

I have a Trillium (an ancestor of your Surfside), and the Ensolite on the walls can't be more than 1/4 inch thick. I think that by building up coats one could achieve similar "insulative" and cosmetic properties with a rubber (roof? swimming pool?) coating of some kind.

Many such coatings are paintable or can even be tinted before application.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings,

I'm unfamiliar with your trailer/brand but wanted to share my wife's and my experience insulating our van conversion from bare metal to cozy : )

We sprayed 3M 77 glue on bare metal walls of the van and multiple layers of 1/4" bubble foil :

And here it is now with soft walls covered with marine headliner material.

Total cost for the glue, insulation, and marine headliner for the ~10 foot x 6 foot x 6 foot inside was (without getting out my receipts) in the neighborhood of $300 to $400. BUT let me tell you, i'm married to a McGirlver, and i'm a bit of a McGyver...And doing that interior was a PITArse !!! We would never do it again. And paying Van Specialties (the peeps that put the roof on) the $4,000-$5,000 for the interior upfit seemed pretty reasonable!..if we were to ever buy new again.

You can buy the bubble foil at your neighborhood Lowes or online.

And here is a link to the 72" Marine Hulliner in "Sand Beige" that we used in the van, and that happens to be the same product used in the Parkliner.

Best wishes on the remodel.
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote