Ordered my new 13' Scamp today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via AIM to Paul Kaplan Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Kaplan
Just ordered my new Scamp trailer today with shower/toilet options. One of the options is the Power Range Hood as well as a 3 speed fan. I'm getting the A/c unit- and apparently if I get the fan, I lose a cabinet. Getting the range hood, I lose the window over the stove.

Any recommendations if I need either or both? (I probably will be cooking inside from time to time.) I'm going to traveling for two months in the trailer this summer.

THanks.

Paul
Paul Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I suppose it is an individual choice. I have hood and vent fan.. I rarely use it. Every once in awhile when making pasta or boiling water for something, but in the year and a half I have owned this rig, it has about 15 mins running time on it.

I DO leave the flap open just to have some extra ventilation. (It isn't much, trust me, but it's available, so why not?)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have the window which suits me just fine. I think the hood sticks out beyond the stove thus a head banger.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I'm getting the A/c unit- and apparently if I get the fan, I lose a cabinet.
Getting the range hood, I lose the window over the stove.
A lot would depend on WHICH cabinet you'd loose, but I say [b]you can't have too many cabinets. Would the (I assume roof-mounted) AC unit run on Fan only? That might mitigate not getting the fan.

I would get the window over the stove and skip the power hood, giving you more vertical clearance over the stovetop.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #5

thanks for the input. I'll have to ask about the a/c unit having a fan only option. In my RV, we used the fan constantly. But am also reluctant to give up a cabinet too!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I'm more curious Paul, about how you just ordered a new Scamp and will be traveling in it for two months this summer. Are they turning them out that fast now? Used to take a good bit of time to get one new...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm more curious Paul, about how you just ordered a new Scamp and will be traveling in it for two months this summer. Are they turning them out that fast now? Used to take a good bit of time to get one new...

I'm picking it up the first week of August, so its taking about 4-5 weeks to get it after ordering. My plan is to spend August and September with my two dogs, traveling around the Pacific Northwest to avoid the summer heat of where I live in Palm Springs.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00914.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	14224

This is our 2003 16' Scamp
Now we have a 17' Casita which has a hood fan. I think they are std. with those but I see some on the casita forum taking them out. We do turn on the hood fan now when cooking hamburgers or something but never missed it when we didn't have one. Actually can't remember having a problem and my wife was cooking alot when we took 5 kids on a 5000 mile trip in the Scamp. Seems you could make the fantastic fan blow in and open the window and tht should do it. We used to pass silverware and meal condiments and so forth out the window to the picnic table and I do miss that.
I vote for the window
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
I'm picking it up the first week of August, so its taking about 4-5 weeks to get it after ordering. My plan is to spend August and September with my two dogs, traveling around the Pacific Northwest to avoid the summer heat of where I live in Palm Springs.
Wow, that's quick! Good to see that you can order one now and get it in that fast of a timeframe.
Enjoy your new Scamp when you hit the road!
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
thanks for the input. I'll have to ask about the a/c unit having a fan only option. In my RV, we used the fan constantly. But am also reluctant to give up a cabinet too!
I didn't lose a cabinet, the vent goes straight out... not up. The range hood only sticks out as far the countertop. If you spend anytime winter camping and cook "moist" food, you may want the hood. It confines the moisture and sends it outside. Even when it's hot, my Mr. Coffee pumps out quite a bit of steam and heat, run the fan for a few moments and all is good.

I'm glad I have it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #11

On a side note, Can you share what factors led you to scamp VS Casita which is closer to where you live? I don't have a trailer yet. Did you visit either factories? Thanks in advance.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
On a side note, Can you share what factors led you to scamp VS Casita which is closer to where you live? I don't have a trailer yet. Did you visit either factories? Thanks in advance.
I didn't visit the factories- I read a lot of review prior to making a decision. For the price and weight the Scamp turned out to be best for me, because I wanted a toilet/shower as well.

HOWEVER- after ordering my Scampe and with the options, and getting additional information. I'm realizing that it will still be too heavy to tow and not safe. I've been looking into trading in my tow vehicle. But part of the appeal of doing this, was for the gas mileage and convenience. The cost of having to upgrade to a car with more power, and sacraficing the gas mileage, is an issue. So as a result, I'm cancelling my order for my new trailer. Going to research other possible alternatives now.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Sorry to hear the Scamp didn't work for you. I'm not sure there are lighter-weight options than the Scamp for current-production trailers with enough head room for people to stand. Even tent trailers weigh more than a Scamp does. If you're willing to skip the standing room and other niceties there are "teardrop" trailers that weigh under 1000 lbs loaded and ready to go.

There are a couple things you might want to consider. Some older trailers offer options on length and weight not available in the current market. Trailers like the 'Lil Bigfoot, Surfside, Trillium, and Hunter/Campster from the used market may require some patience when you're looking and restoration once find one, but may be turn out to be just what you're looking for. We, for example, have two trailers, a 3100lbs (approximately, loaded and ready to go) 19' Scamp 5th wheel that I've made extensive changes to and which requires a pickup truck with a 5th wheel hitch in the bed to pull it and a 2200 lbs 14' Surfside that can be pulled by almost any small SUV or even a Toyota Camry-sized car.

We found the Surfside well after buying our larger 5th wheel, but had we found it first we'd probably be a one-trailer family.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
If you could do without the convenience of a bathroom in a 13 ft. Scamp you would save considerable weight and gain space. I know that for some folks not having a bathroom is not an option, but it is something to consider.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #15

Quote:
If you could do without the convenience of a bathroom in a 13 ft. Scamp you would save considerable weight and gain space. I know that for some folks not having a bathroom is not an option, but it is something to consider.

I'm one of those folks, not an option for me. My plan was to be full-timing in it minimum of 3 months a year, so definitely wanted the bathroom option.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #16

Thanks for the feedback paul. ChaletRV is another idea i have thought about. In the past a dealer let me set it up and it was very fast and lightweight. I understand your weight and tow vehicle issue. Lots of folks say add another Thousand pounds in your mind considering dry weight ratings. Anyway Take care.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp