Ordering new Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The in-the-wall A/C is a nice plus to me on the older Scamps (like mine), would they even do that now? I think it was $179 for a 6,000 BTU replacement window shaker (Home Depot) that does a great job in my 16 footer (and we live in Florida).

Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #16

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
One roof vent is enough for me. the roof escape hatch also opens. If we need more air we turn on the fan only in the ac. Scamp will not put the ac in the back window or the walls. I would rather have it on the roof out of the way and not taking up space. No heat strip for us a small electric heater from Lowes for 25.00 worked very well. The ac in our first Scamp worked well just would like a low profile model for looks and wind.
Ken

Old 09-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually the "basic 3 speed " only exhausts. The fan provided is reversible as well.
Didn't know that so I guess mine is a little more than the basic. But I was thinking in regards to more speed options - find that in many situations the lowest of the 3 speed models is not low enough.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #18

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Oh I had two propane tanks before going with that again. With frig. hot water tank and furnace and no electric at a campsite we may need them.
Ken
Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #19

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Ken, instead of the TV antenna just get the plug for cable hookup. You will have a outside attachment. They just buy an antenna of your own.
Here are some ideas.
http://http://www.homeantenna.org/sq...9oZRoC3t7w_wcB

tv antenna - Free Shipping - DX

I got one of those little black ones with the short post and it seems to work ok. I have to have a TV guy change the plug on the one I got. It didn't have the proper coaxial plug.
I've got one of those flat ones too but haven't tried it yet. I saw one on another FG trailer and the people with it said it worked ok.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Oh I had two propane tanks before going with that again. With frig. hot water tank and furnace and no electric at a campsite we may need them.
Ken
How frequently did you need to refill your propane tanks on your last trailer? I have found that when camping off the grid I can get by a couple of weeks with only one tank of propane even with the fridge on propane full time and running the furnace on and off and hot water tank on.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #21

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
How frequently did you need to refill your propane tanks on your last trailer? I have found that when camping off the grid I can get by a couple of weeks with only one tank of propane even with the fridge on propane full time and running the furnace on and off and hot water tank on.
Carol,
That spare tank is called "ballast". It helps to counteract poor loading technique.
Actually I use my second tank for the little weber Q, and can keep refer and water heater going using the selector valve without closing the active tank.
One time due to poor planning I had to make a run into the nearest town to fill a tank while leaving the critically low one to power the fridge.
We also use a "Little Red Campfire" in areas that allow no wood fires. It sucks the propane!
Russ
Russ
Old 09-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #22

California
The bigger bed would be my number one factory mod. It is hard to implement after the build due to the wing wall and stove support column locations. Our Scamp is perfect other than that one missing asset.
Russ
Old 09-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #23

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Didn't know that so I guess mine is a little more than the basic. But I was thinking in regards to more speed options - find that in many situations the lowest of the 3 speed models is not low enough.
Carol,
I wonder if you could add a power resistor to the low setting switch position? Some motors don't like to be run too low. Maybe call Fantastic Fan and ask if that would be an option for you.
Russ
Old 09-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Carol,
I wonder if you could add a power resistor to the low setting switch position? Some motors don't like to be run too low. Maybe call Fantastic Fan and ask if that would be an option for you.
Russ
I believe that you can Russ but I can't be bothered.... kind of just adding it to my list of reasons for why I have to have new trailer I have my wishful thinking eye on

BTW I appreciate that you need the extra tank for the fire pit. I have one as well put I use a smaller 10lb tank for it and the portable stove. I have a holder that I put it in so it can ride securely in the back of the truck or the trailer with no fear of it falling over or rolling around. I like having it portable so I am not restricted by the length of hose I have and can place either propane appliances where I want them. Also due to the frequency of how often it needs filling - having a smaller one is easier for me to handle.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
The basic three speed fan is the reverseable one on Scamps now, just not temperature controlled or remote

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
I would toss the group 24 deep cycle battery and have them put in at least a group 31 AGM. If your going to get serious with solar may even ask if they can fit two six volt batteries up front. You may have a little more room on the tongue of the 16" than I have on the tongue of the 13', the 31 AGM just fits on my tongue. Its always better to have bigger or more batteries. I put my charge controller in the battery box. The closer to the battery you can mount the charge controller the better. A sealed battery dosen't put out the gas as a vented battery, better for the charge controller. Check link below.

Portable Solar Up and Running
Old 09-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Ken, instead of the TV antenna just get the plug for cable hookup. You will have a outside attachment. They just buy an antenna of your own.
Here are some ideas.
http://http://www.homeantenna.org/sq...9oZRoC3t7w_wcB

tv antenna - Free Shipping - DX

I got one of those little black ones with the short post and it seems to work ok. I have to have a TV guy change the plug on the one I got. It didn't have the proper coaxial plug.
I've got one of those flat ones too but haven't tried it yet. I saw one on another FG trailer and the people with it said it worked ok.
Check out this antenna by far the best it works where others don't..
Unbelievable RV Antenna
Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #28

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Make it your own. What you want. However advice from owners does hold insight from been there done that. Good luck

Tags
scamp