Ordering new Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Ordering new Scamp

I am in the process of ordering a new 2015 16' Deluxe. The more I talk to them I am finding out there are options if you don't ask they don't tell. Extra set of tail lights above the belt line 75.00 I think well worth it. Changed mfg of a/c and tv ant. Also now a 12' awning on the 16'. Anybody know of anything else. I found these items looking on the facebook pics.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You might want to also ask that they install the Rubber D type door seal rather than their standard foam .... they also don't show that as an option and its one that they really should!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
LED lights, oh wait, I don't think they offer them. Seriously, I am pretty envious of your soon to be new Deluxe. And then I saw you already have another Deluxe! I was unaware they offer a longer awning, that will be sweet. I will just make do with my old Standard.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
First deluxe was totaled this summer. Want to get my second chance right. I have LED bulbs ready to go.
Ken
Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
As I recall you were rear ended by a truck. Low mounted lights are hard or impossible to see over the hood of a truck following closely. The long nose hood trucks are the worst. Any option of high mounted lights is well worth it. I'm working on installing some on our Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Ken, I feel your pain We ordered a new one this year, and if not for the good peeps on this forum, we wouldn't have found out about the 54" bed that is now optional in the 13 standard. It made us wonder what else we didn't know enough to ask for. Get plenty of outlets, both 110 and 12v. Don't forget the 110 on the outside. Linoleum is optional. I really don't think they make much money on the options. They sure don't push them very aggressively. The brochure and even the website don't reflect all the options.

We're very happy with our Scamp, but I'm almost afraid to follow this thread for fear of finding out what we missed out on. LOL
Good luck!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tell them to NOT mount that horrible stinky slinky tube on the front. I mean REALLY like that thing is a beautiful thing to look at. There are better places to put it.

AND, if you are going to blinds or have followed different methods of mounting curtains, etc. don't let them put 24+ extra holes through the shell for curtain rods.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Did you order an outside electrical plug? I used mine the first time I camped. I also had a second 12V plug above the side dinette.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

Registry
You may also want to ask if they have any other option for a fan other than the basic 3 speed.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You may also want to ask if they have any other option for a fan other than the basic 3 speed.
Actually the "basic 3 speed " only exhausts. The fan provided is reversible as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 PM   #11

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I would order this fan (deluxe)Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan
I love mine, its basically always open and we have had some horrific rainstorms...not a drip inside.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I would order this fan (deluxe)Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan
I love mine, its basically always open and we have had some horrific rainstorms...not a drip inside.

Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
I have the trailer ordered but I can change things till Dave the production manager calls in the spring.( I am not going to Mn. in the winter)We have linoleum on the list also extra outlet inside and out plus 12volt.Smelly tube is a no no I had the fence post mounted under on the first Scamp for it. No decals this caused a lot of interest nobody knew what it was. I like the fan. I can not decide on the new tv antenna. I wanted to put a flex solar panel there. When we retire in a few years we want to go out west were there is no power. Pat wants a tv for the rainy days. So what to do? Trying to talk them into a low profile AC. Need to call Wayne in a few days.
Ken
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #14

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
If I was going with a new one again I'd just have second roof vent fan... then do window AC in back window. But if a roof AC add a heat strip. Skip second propane tank. LED lights. 12 v outlet above refrigerator.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The in-the-wall A/C is a nice plus to me on the older Scamps (like mine), would they even do that now? I think it was $179 for a 6,000 BTU replacement window shaker (Home Depot) that does a great job in my 16 footer (and we live in Florida).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
One roof vent is enough for me. the roof escape hatch also opens. If we need more air we turn on the fan only in the ac. Scamp will not put the ac in the back window or the walls. I would rather have it on the roof out of the way and not taking up space. No heat strip for us a small electric heater from Lowes for 25.00 worked very well. The ac in our first Scamp worked well just would like a low profile model for looks and wind.
Ken
Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually the "basic 3 speed " only exhausts. The fan provided is reversible as well.
Didn't know that so I guess mine is a little more than the basic. But I was thinking in regards to more speed options - find that in many situations the lowest of the 3 speed models is not low enough.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Oh I had two propane tanks before going with that again. With frig. hot water tank and furnace and no electric at a campsite we may need them.
Ken
Old 09-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #19

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Ken, instead of the TV antenna just get the plug for cable hookup. You will have a outside attachment. They just buy an antenna of your own.
Here are some ideas.
http://http://www.homeantenna.org/sq...9oZRoC3t7w_wcB

tv antenna - Free Shipping - DX

I got one of those little black ones with the short post and it seems to work ok. I have to have a TV guy change the plug on the one I got. It didn't have the proper coaxial plug.
I've got one of those flat ones too but haven't tried it yet. I saw one on another FG trailer and the people with it said it worked ok.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Oh I had two propane tanks before going with that again. With frig. hot water tank and furnace and no electric at a campsite we may need them.
Ken
How frequently did you need to refill your propane tanks on your last trailer? I have found that when camping off the grid I can get by a couple of weeks with only one tank of propane even with the fridge on propane full time and running the furnace on and off and hot water tank on.

Tags
scamp