Ordering new Scamp with Larger 3-way Refrigerator - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #29
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Opinions are like butts, everyone has one, and they stink.....~
Really

Quote:
I have decided to go a different way, and I'm no longer considering the Scamp.
.
Probably a good idea. Raz
__________________

__________________
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
sokhapkin's Avatar
 
Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Posts: 598
Or a bad idea...
__________________

__________________
Sergey
www.callwithus.com
sokhapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #31
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Or a bad idea...

Or it could be a decision he won't regret.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
What would I know?
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
I agree with Brad. No sense in rewarding that sort of behavior.

I have had both 2-way and 3-way fridges, and I definitely preferred the 12V option of the 3-way. There are times when 12V really is handy to have for a while, and modern solar makes it that much more viable. I ran the 2-way on LP during travel, and on many occasions I'd stop for gas or lunch, or arrive in camp, and discover that the fridge was warm because it blew out during travel (strong winds, passing trucks, etc.). It got to where I was about ready to use the 2-way as a cupboard and to keep the refrigerated items in a cooler... but then I sold that trailer and bought one with a 3-way. It was much more pleasant to use, although I did have to be judicious about the 12V usage.
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
.... I ran the 2-way on LP during travel, and on many occasions I'd stop for gas or lunch, or arrive in camp, and discover that the fridge was warm because it blew out during travel (strong winds, passing trucks, etc.). It got to where I was about ready to use the 2-way as a cupboard and to keep the refrigerated items in a cooler... but then I sold that trailer and bought one with a 3-way. It was much more pleasant to use, although I did have to be judicious about the 12V usage.
A possible consideration is to purchase a wireless thermometer and keep the display in the tug. Then there would be no reason to find out later the propane had blown out as you can keep a constant eye on the temperature during travel.


Plus, it can be used when setup. Double duty!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #35
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,220
Registry
It can be difficult for businesses to supply all the custom wants/wishes of purchasers, so maybe this is just one of those times where the line was drawn.
Escape Trailers has been proven to be a company that will bend over backwards to fill the customer's wishes, and produces a top shelf product. But you also pay a premium for it.
__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A possible consideration is to purchase a wireless thermometer and keep the display in the tug. Then there would be no reason to find out later the propane had blown out as you can keep a constant eye on the temperature during travel.
Donna, good idea but I need to find a wireless thermometer that's durable enough for all the bouncing and stuff. I've done this very thing, and have had 2 thermometers quit working on me during the trip! When the second one stopped transmitting, the receiving unit in my truck continued to register the last received temp of 42 degrees, while the fridge warmed to ambient temp! Major fake-out.
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Donna, good idea but I need to find a wireless thermometer that's durable enough for all the bouncing and stuff. I've done this very thing, and have had 2 thermometers quit working on me during the trip! When the second one stopped transmitting, the receiving unit in my truck continued to register the last received temp of 42 degrees, while the fridge warmed to ambient temp! Major fake-out.
I have had the same wireless thermometer for about 5 years of travel now. It was not an expensive one either. - under $25. I did though secure the receiver with double sided tape so it does not bounce around and the transmitter is in the fridge on non skid shelf liner, which may or may not account for its longer life. Have found though that it does need frequent battery changes (at least once a year or more) otherwise it will start send out temps that are not accurate.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Posts: 617
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
....... I ran the 2-way on LP during travel, and on many occasions I'd stop for gas or lunch, or arrive in camp, and discover that the fridge was warm because it blew out during travel (strong winds, passing trucks, etc.).
Mike, I had the same problem with several LP fridges. i cured that problem by cutting a home furnace filter to fit in the outside vent opening. The filter allowed air to enter when traveling, but, stopped too much air blowing out the fridge's flame.

I did remove the filter when stopping for the night.

Bill
__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Posts: 617
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
.... I have decided to go a different way, and I'm no longer considering the Scamp.
There are many trailer options available and no doubt Brad will find a company he will be happy doing business with.

I'm not blind to some of the faults that the Scamp Co. may have. A few buyers of new Scamps have voiced some of these faults on this Forum.

However, after spending some time selling to the public (after retiring from the Government) I know that sometimes a salesman reaches a point in dealing with a would-be buyer, that the salesman starts to believe the person is a "tire-kicker" who's hobby is endlessly shopping for a car, RV, motorcycle, etc. knowing all the time that he is not going to buy the item.

I'm not suggesting that this is what Brad was doing. Only, that after several phone call rehashing the same subject, the Scamp salesman/owner may have thought this.

Scamp's factory no doubt orders major items in qualities that provide them with the lowest prices. If Scamp has purchased a dozen 2-way fridges, and has only them on hand, ordering a single 3-way fridge would most likely cost more, and be a disruption in their production line/schedule.

In the end, Scamp may have thought that the profit from Brad's purchase of a trailer, just wasn't worth the problems it entailed.

Just my 2-cents worth of thoughts!

Bill
__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Cathi's Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Posts: 795
If a refrigerator will not fit through the door, they can't use it. I assure you that Escape does not either, as accommodating as they are. They also turn down requests, of course, among the many many that they receive. They do a lot but have not figured out how to get a refrigerator in that is wider than the door.
__________________
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #41
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
There are many trailer options available and no doubt Brad will find a company he will be happy doing business with.



I'm not blind to some of the faults that the Scamp Co. may have. A few buyers of new Scamps have voiced some of these faults on this Forum.



However, after spending some time selling to the public (after retiring from the Government) I know that sometimes a salesman reaches a point in dealing with a would-be buyer, that the salesman starts to believe the person is a "tire-kicker" who's hobby is endlessly shopping for a car, RV, motorcycle, etc. knowing all the time that he is not going to buy the item.



I'm not suggesting that this is what Brad was doing. Only, that after several phone call rehashing the same subject, the Scamp salesman/owner may have thought this.



Scamp's factory no doubt orders major items in qualities that provide them with the lowest prices. If Scamp has purchased a dozen 2-way fridges, and has only them on hand, ordering a single 3-way fridge would most likely cost more, and be a disruption in their production line/schedule.



In the end, Scamp may have thought that the profit from Brad's purchase of a trailer, just wasn't worth the problems it entailed.



Just my 2-cents worth of thoughts!



Bill

Given the argument that Scamp purchases only 2 way refrigerators, if Brad were willing to pay for and have the 3-way delivered to Backus, Scamp would have no reason not to install it as any 2-ways in stock will eventually be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
If a refrigerator will not fit through the door, they can't use it. I assure you that Escape does not either, as accommodating as they are. They also turn down requests, of course, among the many many that they receive. They do a lot but have not figured out how to get a refrigerator in that is wider than the door.

The OP has already stated the 3-way is the same size as the 2-way. Therefore, the door size argument is invalid. The truth is that Escspe will accommodate customer requests if possible. Scamp refuses to bend on anything.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
An old trick, put an open frozen container in the freezer and place a penny on the ice in the container. Check to see if the penny has dropped to determine thawing and refreezing has occurred.
__________________

__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refrigerator, scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 way plug to 4 way plug back to 7 way plug immrbill Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 08-10-2015 12:08 PM
Ordering new Scamp Ken in Pa Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 82 01-14-2015 08:38 AM
New 13 Scamp -- ordering lights and electical outlets joeburns Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 5 09-15-2013 01:12 PM
ordering new hinges Ted Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 10-05-2012 06:16 AM
Ordering parts from Scamp adriemel83 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 5 06-16-2011 06:04 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.