Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Opinions are like butts, everyone has one, and they stink.....~
Really

Quote:
I have decided to go a different way, and I'm no longer considering the Scamp.
Probably a good idea. Raz

Old 12-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #30

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Or a bad idea...

Old 12-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #31
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Or a bad idea...

Or it could be a decision he won't regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #32

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
What would I know?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #33

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I agree with Brad. No sense in rewarding that sort of behavior.

I have had both 2-way and 3-way fridges, and I definitely preferred the 12V option of the 3-way. There are times when 12V really is handy to have for a while, and modern solar makes it that much more viable. I ran the 2-way on LP during travel, and on many occasions I'd stop for gas or lunch, or arrive in camp, and discover that the fridge was warm because it blew out during travel (strong winds, passing trucks, etc.). It got to where I was about ready to use the 2-way as a cupboard and to keep the refrigerated items in a cooler... but then I sold that trailer and bought one with a 3-way. It was much more pleasant to use, although I did have to be judicious about the 12V usage.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #34

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
.... I ran the 2-way on LP during travel, and on many occasions I'd stop for gas or lunch, or arrive in camp, and discover that the fridge was warm because it blew out during travel (strong winds, passing trucks, etc.). It got to where I was about ready to use the 2-way as a cupboard and to keep the refrigerated items in a cooler... but then I sold that trailer and bought one with a 3-way. It was much more pleasant to use, although I did have to be judicious about the 12V usage.
A possible consideration is to purchase a wireless thermometer and keep the display in the tug. Then there would be no reason to find out later the propane had blown out as you can keep a constant eye on the temperature during travel.

Plus, it can be used when setup. Double duty!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #35

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
It can be difficult for businesses to supply all the custom wants/wishes of purchasers, so maybe this is just one of those times where the line was drawn.
Escape Trailers has been proven to be a company that will bend over backwards to fill the customer's wishes, and produces a top shelf product. But you also pay a premium for it.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #36

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A possible consideration is to purchase a wireless thermometer and keep the display in the tug. Then there would be no reason to find out later the propane had blown out as you can keep a constant eye on the temperature during travel.
Donna, good idea but I need to find a wireless thermometer that's durable enough for all the bouncing and stuff. I've done this very thing, and have had 2 thermometers quit working on me during the trip! When the second one stopped transmitting, the receiving unit in my truck continued to register the last received temp of 42 degrees, while the fridge warmed to ambient temp! Major fake-out.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #37

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Donna, good idea but I need to find a wireless thermometer that's durable enough for all the bouncing and stuff. I've done this very thing, and have had 2 thermometers quit working on me during the trip! When the second one stopped transmitting, the receiving unit in my truck continued to register the last received temp of 42 degrees, while the fridge warmed to ambient temp! Major fake-out.
I have had the same wireless thermometer for about 5 years of travel now. It was not an expensive one either. - under $25. I did though secure the receiver with double sided tape so it does not bounce around and the transmitter is in the fridge on non skid shelf liner, which may or may not account for its longer life. Have found though that it does need frequent battery changes (at least once a year or more) otherwise it will start send out temps that are not accurate.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #38

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
....... I ran the 2-way on LP during travel, and on many occasions I'd stop for gas or lunch, or arrive in camp, and discover that the fridge was warm because it blew out during travel (strong winds, passing trucks, etc.).
Mike, I had the same problem with several LP fridges. i cured that problem by cutting a home furnace filter to fit in the outside vent opening. The filter allowed air to enter when traveling, but, stopped too much air blowing out the fridge's flame.

I did remove the filter when stopping for the night.

Bill
Old 12-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #39

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
.... I have decided to go a different way, and I'm no longer considering the Scamp.
There are many trailer options available and no doubt Brad will find a company he will be happy doing business with.

I'm not blind to some of the faults that the Scamp Co. may have. A few buyers of new Scamps have voiced some of these faults on this Forum.

However, after spending some time selling to the public (after retiring from the Government) I know that sometimes a salesman reaches a point in dealing with a would-be buyer, that the salesman starts to believe the person is a "tire-kicker" who's hobby is endlessly shopping for a car, RV, motorcycle, etc. knowing all the time that he is not going to buy the item.

I'm not suggesting that this is what Brad was doing. Only, that after several phone call rehashing the same subject, the Scamp salesman/owner may have thought this.

Scamp's factory no doubt orders major items in qualities that provide them with the lowest prices. If Scamp has purchased a dozen 2-way fridges, and has only them on hand, ordering a single 3-way fridge would most likely cost more, and be a disruption in their production line/schedule.

In the end, Scamp may have thought that the profit from Brad's purchase of a trailer, just wasn't worth the problems it entailed.

Just my 2-cents worth of thoughts!

Bill
Old 12-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #40

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
If a refrigerator will not fit through the door, they can't use it. I assure you that Escape does not either, as accommodating as they are. They also turn down requests, of course, among the many many that they receive. They do a lot but have not figured out how to get a refrigerator in that is wider than the door.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #41
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
There are many trailer options available and no doubt Brad will find a company he will be happy doing business with.

I'm not blind to some of the faults that the Scamp Co. may have. A few buyers of new Scamps have voiced some of these faults on this Forum.

However, after spending some time selling to the public (after retiring from the Government) I know that sometimes a salesman reaches a point in dealing with a would-be buyer, that the salesman starts to believe the person is a "tire-kicker" who's hobby is endlessly shopping for a car, RV, motorcycle, etc. knowing all the time that he is not going to buy the item.

I'm not suggesting that this is what Brad was doing. Only, that after several phone call rehashing the same subject, the Scamp salesman/owner may have thought this.

Scamp's factory no doubt orders major items in qualities that provide them with the lowest prices. If Scamp has purchased a dozen 2-way fridges, and has only them on hand, ordering a single 3-way fridge would most likely cost more, and be a disruption in their production line/schedule.

In the end, Scamp may have thought that the profit from Brad's purchase of a trailer, just wasn't worth the problems it entailed.

Just my 2-cents worth of thoughts!

Bill

Given the argument that Scamp purchases only 2 way refrigerators, if Brad were willing to pay for and have the 3-way delivered to Backus, Scamp would have no reason not to install it as any 2-ways in stock will eventually be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
If a refrigerator will not fit through the door, they can't use it. I assure you that Escape does not either, as accommodating as they are. They also turn down requests, of course, among the many many that they receive. They do a lot but have not figured out how to get a refrigerator in that is wider than the door.

The OP has already stated the 3-way is the same size as the 2-way. Therefore, the door size argument is invalid. The truth is that Escspe will accommodate customer requests if possible. Scamp refuses to bend on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #42

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
An old trick, put an open frozen container in the freezer and place a penny on the ice in the container. Check to see if the penny has dropped to determine thawing and refreezing has occurred.

Tags
refrigerator, scamp