Ordering new Scamp with Larger 3-way Refrigerator - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #61

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Casita comes with a 3 way fridge as standard equipment.
We have not found a need to operate our fridge on 12 VDC.
We would not buy a trailer that did not have a refrigerator that will
run on propane and 120 VAC
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I originally was going to get a 3-way fridge. I even had the tow vehicle wired with 10 gauge so it could carry the load required to run the fridge on 12V DC.
Then it was pointed out to me that if I'd been boondocking for three or four days, running the fridge on propane, but running lights and furnace, depleting the battery, then moving to another campground, I would arrive with a depleted battery.
The vehicle could not fully charge the battery and run the fridge on 12V at the same time.
I opted for a larger two way fridge, which mainly runs on propane. I use the 120 V AC when pre-cooling the fridge at home or when I have a power tree ( rare ).
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #63

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A lot of hot air in this thread!!

Read this.
Propane 101-The basics

First off since the newer propane tank valves required since 2001 with the corresponding "ACME" thread pig tail the kind you turn by hand, shutdown when they detect a large flow.

Another point is on the older Casita trailers the refrigerators were put in before the top half was added. To get one in or out afterwards requires removing the refrigeration section from the rear. The newer trailers have a larger back window that has to be removed to get a refrigerator in or out and requires 4 workers.

It also appears that a lot of advocates of using 12volts have solar panels that I believe the majority of owners don't.

Putting blue things or blocks of ice in a refrigerator while traveling defeats the purpose of having a refrigerator in the first place.

The length of cable between my truck's battery to the refrigerator is over 50 feet, 25 feet alone to get to the rear of the truck. That's a long way also considering the various connections along the way to provide 10 or 15 amps at the refrigerator and don't forget the return or negative wire also.

Many if not most travel with the refrigerator on propane.
How about a poll with no comment or reason why or why not allowed?

If it prevented a hazard besides on boats, in underwater tunnels and when refueling I'm sure there would some federal or state regulation against it.

Just my two cents take it or leave it.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #64

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I agree with running the frig on propane while travelling, it works fine. Regarding a pilot light, the frig does not have a pilot light. You start the propane cooling mode lighting the flame with an electronic igniter and it just burns continuously.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #65

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
Regarding a pilot light, the frig does not have a pilot light. You start the propane cooling mode lighting the flame with an electronic igniter and it just burns continuously.
? hummmm Sounds a lot like a pilot light to me.

A pilot regardless of how you light it is a small flame that's kept lit to provide a catalyst for a much larger flame.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #66

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
If 4 phone calls are too much for a salesman from a customer who is about to spend close to $20K, then they (Scamp) needs to get a new salesman.
I also made it very clear I was willing to pay the additional cost of the 3-way.

It doesn't matter now - I'm not buying a Scamp. I have heard too many people, both here and on other sites, tell me that their quality has gone downhill. My dealings with them have been just plain weird.
Wayne Pitlick took dozens of calls, three visits and countless order changes from me, with cheerful cooperation. Their quality is still great. Weird, of course, is a matter of perspective and works both ways!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, scamp