Ordering new Scamp with Larger 3-way Refrigerator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #21

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
Brad,
I'm not sure why Scamp won't tell you why they won't install a 3-way for you, but from my experience, the 12v option is useless. I had a slide-in camper with a 3-way and whenever I used it, I arrived with a run-down battery. It just uses too much juice! I've used my 2-way in my 04S16 for 12 years with the propane turned on during each trip [I do a lot of camping] and it has worked like a charm. In my opinion, the safety concerns are generated by attorneys that want to protect their clients from any possible litigation, not from any real-world issues.
Rick
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #22

Name: Sue
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
retro trailers

Anyone have experience with small 13/15 ft. Retro trailers.
Sue harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #23

Name: Greg
Trailer: Escape 19'er
Colorado
While I also have no dog in the fight here are a couple of thoughts:

1. Our 1.9cu' three way draws nearly 10 amps on DC (12volt). Which draws down the battery rather quickly. I imagine a 4.6cu' would even draw more. The 150watt solar panels probably put out enough in full sunlight to keep the battery charged.

2. Having a potential open flame (the pilot light, or electric spark, then small propane flame) is not safe when fueling and therefore having gasoline fumes near by. Even if you're driving a diesel, other's will not doubt be fueling with gasoline at the pumps. So... To be safe, you'd need to remember to turn off the frig at every fuel stop. That's something I'd either forget or soon neglect.

That said, we turn our frig off when moving.

... Greg
Boulder, CO
Not all who wander are lost.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 AM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
........ I pointed out that they draw 15 amps while on 12 Volts DC (according to Dometic's website), and any tow vehicle that could tow this trailer is going to have at least an 80 Amp alternator. Obviously the fact that these 3-way refrigerators are made, and other people actually use them, meant nothing to the people at Scamp.

Hello Brad and welcome to the forum.

Fifteen amps for the refrigerator and more to charge the battery plus the high demands of newer tow vehicles typically leads to a dead trailer battery and warm fridge. I suspect the folks at Scamp got tired of the complaints. You could add the 12 volt heating element afterwards if you wanted to try it.

While an absorption fridge will keep things cold, they tend to be slow cooling warm things like canned beverages. For that, most bring a cooler or go to a compressor fridge. Enjoy your new trailer. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #25

Name: Brad
Trailer: Currently Shopping
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I thought I wanted a three-way fridge when preparing to order my Escape. Instead I opted for the larger two-way.
It was pointed out to me that if I left a campsite with a depleted battery ( from running the furnace, etc. ) that when I arrived at the next campsite, I would still have a depleted battery because the vehicle could not supply enough power to run the fridge on 12V and to charge the battery.
If you insist on running your fridge on 12V, you will also have to upgrade the tow wiring to #10 from the normally used #12 just to get enough power to the fridge.
Don't know where you got your information about running the fridge on propane while driving, but it is not correct. It is not dangerous and I doubt you can find a law against it in any state. I know you won't find such a law across Canada.
You will be advised that propane must be shut off before entering tunnels, getting on a ferry and for fueling.
The fridge will stay cold for quite a while when turned off, if you don't open the door, so that's another option.
I currently have a 3-way refrigerator, use it on 12V DC sometimes and it works well. I need it when driving for long distances during hot weather.
I never thought leaving the propane on while driving was illegal until the Scamp salesman told me so (this was after the owner of the company told me that was the solution). However, I am not going to do it. A small leak, although unlikely, could turn the travel trailer into a bomb. And why would I? Most, if not all, of the Dometic and Norcold units are available in 3-way, for about $80 - $100 more.
As for 10-Gauge wiring - I never had a problem with my 12-gauge while running my current 3-way. I am an Electrician and I understand what's necessary. If the new trailer's refer draws too many amps for the 12-gauge wiring, I will re-wire the tow vehicle with 10-gauge. It's not that difficult.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #26

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick in arvada View Post
Brad,
I'm not sure why Scamp won't tell you why they won't install a 3-way for you, but from my experience, the 12v option is useless. I had a slide-in camper with a 3-way and whenever I used it, I arrived with a run-down battery. It just uses too much juice! I've used my 2-way in my 04S16 for 12 years with the propane turned on during each trip [I do a lot of camping] and it has worked like a charm. In my opinion, the safety concerns are generated by attorneys that want to protect their clients from any possible litigation, not from any real-world issues.
Rick
I have, for many years, used the 12-volt option on my fridge while driving, with the optional 130-amp alternator on my van. But even with the stock alternator (95 amps) I had in my old truck, I never had a problem.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #27

New York
The Scamp salesman told me that I couldn't install the larger fridge later on because it wouldn't fit through the door, which is 22" wide according to him.
I don't know when they install the fridge when building the trailer.
I also don't know why they don't offer the 3-way option - it's the exactly the same size as the 2-way.
Doesn't really matter at this point - I'm not buying a Scamp.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #28

New York
Quote:
Has anyone had this problem? I was prepared to order a brand-new Scamp 16', pretty much with all options. The refrigerators they offer are either a 1.9 Cu ft. 3-way, or a 4.6 Cu ft. 2-way. I wanted to order the trailer with the larger refrigerator, but 3-way. I see no point in a two-way, especially with the way I plan to use this trailer, and the difference in price is usually about $80 - $100.
The salesman first told me that they don't install the larger 3-way because the larger fridge draws too many amps. I pointed out that they draw 15 amps while on 12 Volts DC (according to Dometic's website), and any tow vehicle that could tow this trailer is going to have at least an 80 Amp alternator. Obviously the fact that these 3-way refrigerators are made, and other people actually use them, meant nothing to the people at Scamp.
Then he told me to speak to the owner of the company, who suggested that I buy the 2-way, and operate it on gas while I was driving. This is not only dangerous, but illegal in many states.
I also pointed out that the 3-way and 2-way models are exactly the same size and the only different thing they'd have to do is run a 12-volt line.
After a few phone calls, they finally said flat-out they wouldn't install the 3-way, larger model. The salesman understood that I was ready to order but wasn't going to order unless I could get the refrigerator I wanted.
There's no way I could install it later -the door isn't wide enough.
So, they are loosing an order for a brand new trailer for no good reason. I guess that they have all of the business they want and don't need anymore money?
Thanks everyone for your info on the 3-way/ 2-way debate. As my Father used to say: "Opinions are like butts, everyone has one, and they stink
I haven't experienced any problems with the 3-way option on my current refer in my trailer.
The fact that Scamp has been really unwilling to do this (Like I said, the 3-way model of the fridge is exactly the same size) really gives me second-thoughts. When speaking to them, it's "This is the way we do it", not more customer service oriented.
I'm breaking the bank on this one - spending alot. I want the 12V option, even if I don't use it often.
Anyway, none of this matters - I have decided to go a different way, and I'm no longer considering the Scamp.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #29
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Opinions are like butts, everyone has one, and they stink.....~
Really

Quote:
I have decided to go a different way, and I'm no longer considering the Scamp.
Probably a good idea. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #30

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Or a bad idea...
Old 12-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Or a bad idea...

Or it could be a decision he won't regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What would I know?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I agree with Brad. No sense in rewarding that sort of behavior.

I have had both 2-way and 3-way fridges, and I definitely preferred the 12V option of the 3-way. There are times when 12V really is handy to have for a while, and modern solar makes it that much more viable. I ran the 2-way on LP during travel, and on many occasions I'd stop for gas or lunch, or arrive in camp, and discover that the fridge was warm because it blew out during travel (strong winds, passing trucks, etc.). It got to where I was about ready to use the 2-way as a cupboard and to keep the refrigerated items in a cooler... but then I sold that trailer and bought one with a 3-way. It was much more pleasant to use, although I did have to be judicious about the 12V usage.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
.... I ran the 2-way on LP during travel, and on many occasions I'd stop for gas or lunch, or arrive in camp, and discover that the fridge was warm because it blew out during travel (strong winds, passing trucks, etc.). It got to where I was about ready to use the 2-way as a cupboard and to keep the refrigerated items in a cooler... but then I sold that trailer and bought one with a 3-way. It was much more pleasant to use, although I did have to be judicious about the 12V usage.
A possible consideration is to purchase a wireless thermometer and keep the display in the tug. Then there would be no reason to find out later the propane had blown out as you can keep a constant eye on the temperature during travel.

Plus, it can be used when setup. Double duty!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #35

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
It can be difficult for businesses to supply all the custom wants/wishes of purchasers, so maybe this is just one of those times where the line was drawn.
Escape Trailers has been proven to be a company that will bend over backwards to fill the customer's wishes, and produces a top shelf product. But you also pay a premium for it.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A possible consideration is to purchase a wireless thermometer and keep the display in the tug. Then there would be no reason to find out later the propane had blown out as you can keep a constant eye on the temperature during travel.
Donna, good idea but I need to find a wireless thermometer that's durable enough for all the bouncing and stuff. I've done this very thing, and have had 2 thermometers quit working on me during the trip! When the second one stopped transmitting, the receiving unit in my truck continued to register the last received temp of 42 degrees, while the fridge warmed to ambient temp! Major fake-out.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Donna, good idea but I need to find a wireless thermometer that's durable enough for all the bouncing and stuff. I've done this very thing, and have had 2 thermometers quit working on me during the trip! When the second one stopped transmitting, the receiving unit in my truck continued to register the last received temp of 42 degrees, while the fridge warmed to ambient temp! Major fake-out.
I have had the same wireless thermometer for about 5 years of travel now. It was not an expensive one either. - under $25. I did though secure the receiver with double sided tape so it does not bounce around and the transmitter is in the fridge on non skid shelf liner, which may or may not account for its longer life. Have found though that it does need frequent battery changes (at least once a year or more) otherwise it will start send out temps that are not accurate.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:55 PM   #38

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
....... I ran the 2-way on LP during travel, and on many occasions I'd stop for gas or lunch, or arrive in camp, and discover that the fridge was warm because it blew out during travel (strong winds, passing trucks, etc.).
Mike, I had the same problem with several LP fridges. i cured that problem by cutting a home furnace filter to fit in the outside vent opening. The filter allowed air to enter when traveling, but, stopped too much air blowing out the fridge's flame.

I did remove the filter when stopping for the night.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #39

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
.... I have decided to go a different way, and I'm no longer considering the Scamp.
There are many trailer options available and no doubt Brad will find a company he will be happy doing business with.

I'm not blind to some of the faults that the Scamp Co. may have. A few buyers of new Scamps have voiced some of these faults on this Forum.

However, after spending some time selling to the public (after retiring from the Government) I know that sometimes a salesman reaches a point in dealing with a would-be buyer, that the salesman starts to believe the person is a "tire-kicker" who's hobby is endlessly shopping for a car, RV, motorcycle, etc. knowing all the time that he is not going to buy the item.

I'm not suggesting that this is what Brad was doing. Only, that after several phone call rehashing the same subject, the Scamp salesman/owner may have thought this.

Scamp's factory no doubt orders major items in qualities that provide them with the lowest prices. If Scamp has purchased a dozen 2-way fridges, and has only them on hand, ordering a single 3-way fridge would most likely cost more, and be a disruption in their production line/schedule.

In the end, Scamp may have thought that the profit from Brad's purchase of a trailer, just wasn't worth the problems it entailed.

Just my 2-cents worth of thoughts!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #40

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
If a refrigerator will not fit through the door, they can't use it. I assure you that Escape does not either, as accommodating as they are. They also turn down requests, of course, among the many many that they receive. They do a lot but have not figured out how to get a refrigerator in that is wider than the door.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, scamp