Outlet Locations? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Outlet Locations?

As we get nearer to putting cabinets into our 13' Scamp, my thoughts are starting to think ahead to where I want to put 110v outlets... Since I haven't seen a Scamp in new or at least fully working condition (ours was completely gutted), where did the factory install 110v outlets? There was one in the old kitchen cabinet on the dinette side... I'm sure there were others....

And...if you could put an outlet anywhere in the trailer, where would you put it and why?

I figured I might as well ask since we're at the planning stages...

Thank you!!

- Tony
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
We don't have a scamp but we have a Snoozy and we put an extra 110 next to where a tv would go . WE have 7 plugs with 4 (15 amp circuits) can't have enough 110 plugs
1-water heater( circuit 1) 2-charger (circuit 2) 3-outlet next to twin bed (circuit 2) 4-fridge and A/C (circuit 4) 5-microwave ( circuit 3) 6-GFCI on counter(circuit 3) 7-outlet for tv or radio (circuit 2) .Maybe will add one outside ??
We only have one 12 volt plug will add another on other side of trailer . Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #3

Colorado
Registry
Jim -- Where are those in relation to the floor plan? Like, for example, is one of them in the overhead cabinet at the rear of the trailer over the dinette, or are they on either side in the overheads? How about in the closet wall/cabinet side? Kitchen cabinet front?

The Scamp wiring diagram I've seen on here indicates that there are about 4 outlets, but like you said, you really can't have enough...but space is at a premium.... I definitely know we are putting an outside outlet on...gotta have a place to plug in those party lights, right?

Thanks for your help!

Tony
Old 02-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
outlets

We don't have a Scamp but a Lil Snoozy I was just referring to how many outlets you could put in with how many circuits you might need .I guess it all depends if you have A/C or not a microwave , Fridge etc .You probably have propane then you would need less outlets no elec water heater no 110 fridge??
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
On my standard Scamp there are 2 - 110 outlets. Both on the end of the lower kitchen cabinets facing the table - close to the outside wall and high on the cabinet. I have added another to the rear overhead bin to plug my TV, DVD etc into. Some people don't like the plugs on the end of the cabinets as they say the hit them if things are plugged into them with there head when sleep. Me I just plug things in at the foot end of the bed not the head end and have no problems with them located there. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #6

Colorado
Registry
Jim...what power center do yo have? Do you use the half width breakers?

Carol - Thanks. That's what we were thinking...that those plugs would get in the way rather than be a convenience. How does the one you put in the overhead bin work for you? Do you like it? Is it in the center back, or in the corner?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I almost have more outlets in my 13 Scamp than in my 600 sq foot 1930's house. Between myself and a previous owner and the 3 Scamp put in I have 7 duplex outlets. Scamp put in 3 they were located at the end of the base cabinet by the front bunk, under the sink for the fridge and one on the overhead cabinet at the table end. Second owner put in one under the the rear bunk back by the back wall on the drivers side for power close to the table. They also put one under the middle of the front bunk when they cut it for a front table and they put one in the side of the front bunk by the door. I put one on the outside by the front door. The whole goal with these is not to have cords strung about That you have to dodge when you move about. Our 13 foot Scamp doesn't have much counter space so if you can plug in the toaster at the table or plug in the crock pot outside on a small table its a blessing. We don't hardly use 110 volt as most campgrounds we stay at don't supply it but when we do I don't want to be dodging power cords.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohkraites View Post

Carol - Thanks. That's what we were thinking...that those plugs would get in the way rather than be a convenience. How does the one you put in the overhead bin work for you? Do you like it? Is it in the center back, or in the corner?

Thanks!
As I said I prefer them at the end of the kitchen counter. If you use a coffee maker &/or a toaster on the kitchen counter the cords are all running behind the appliances and not interfering with the counter space, which is what will happen if you where to place the 110 outlet on the front face of the kitchen cabinets facing the hallway as you will often find them in older Bolers. Having the plugs on the ends is a lot more neat and tidy appearance wise. Plugs located on the front face of the counter in my experience are also far more likely to be knocked out if two people try and pass each other in the kitchen area. As I said I haven't had any big issues in regards to interference from the plugs when sleeping as I sleep with the items that are left plugged in, at my feet. The key is to mount the plugs high and towards the outside wall.

It would be handy though to have one 110V plug located on the front face (away from the sink and water) for using a hair drier or vacuum though.

The 110V plug on the overhead is mounted on the inside on the one flat end of the overhead. That way no horizontal storage space is lost on the bottom of the overhead bin allowing the DVD player and the DVD holder to sit flat on the bottom of the bin. Having it mounted on the end also means you are less likely to accidentally unplug something while shifting items around in the overhead bin. I leave everything plugged in inside the bin (even when camping without power) so I don't need to get at that plug to often. My TV is mounted under the overhead in the back corner with a hole drilled on the underside of the overhead above it for the power cords and HDMI cable to get to it from inside the bin. I simple unplug the power cables etc from the back of the TV when I take the TV down for travel or when camping without power & push the cables back up into the bin so they are put away neat and tide and not left hanging down.

I also BTW added a 110V plug to the outside of the trailer as well. Due to camping fairly often without power I haven't used it all that frequently but it is handy for plugging in awning lights or using a laptop outside or when doing outside repairs to the trailer.

Have fun planning out your trailer! I like to keep my trailer as flexible in use as possible. I have added or changed a number things to make it more functional for my personal use but at the same time I know that it is not my Dream trailer so when adding/changing things I also try and ask myself if what I am adding or changing is something the next owner will appreciate or will they be asking - what where they thinking?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
under the sink for the fridge
Yup I forgot about the fridge 110v plug. But on mine is located behind the fridge and accessible only from the outside fridge vent hatch. Its where Scamp located it on mine.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Thank you for the info.... looks like I have some more outlets to plan for!

- Tony
Old 02-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
On my trailer I have a compartment that opens to the exterior and I put an outlet just inside the door. It's great for any outside power needs without using an exterior outlet and cover and doing major cutting on the trailer shell. Some times we like to use an electric frying pan outside or a stereo or lights. Just open the door and plug in. An outside outlet is wonderful but cutting the trailer up was not appealing.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have a number of AC outlets.

We have two in the front corner surface of the dinette sea. Each of these outlets contain two USB charging ports as well. These are two of our most used along with the one in end of the sink side cabinet.

We have one each in the ends of the two counter cabinets, one has two USB charging ports. We also have a 12 volt outlet near the stove side outlet for our wifi hotspot.

We have an outside outlet on the door side under the rear corner of the trailer.

We have an outlet under the front couch used by the converter and the sat receiver. We also have a 12 volt outlet above the couch.

We have an outlet in the fridge access compartment, handy for an electric drill, we also have a 12 volt outlet here.

We have an outlet under the sink used by the air conditioner and the electric hot water heater modification.

We have an ac outlet under the dinette on the door side seat, near the rear. There is also a 12 volt outlet in this area.

We have 30 amp service supported by four 15 amp breakers

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #13

Colorado
Registry
Norm and Ginny - That's a lot of outlets! Wow. I really like the idea of the usb ports in the plugs....though they are pricey. Like $25 each. But I think they will be worth it.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #14

Florida
We like the USB ports, of course you must be plugged in to use them. We use the one in the end of the counter for Ginny's phone that serves as our night clock. I use the one in the end of the dinette for my phone, charging over night. We typically use a third for our Pad.

We do have a lot of outlets because I like having a plug where I need it and not having to run a cord across the floor. Secondarily I do not like to hardwire every thing. I like the ability to unplug the water heater, Air conditioner and convertor.

The USBs are expensive but as a rule AC outlets are inexpensive. I am an engineer by trade, have built two of our houses and done the electrical wiring. The things you know are easier to do. Also being retired gifts you with time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I was going to say don't forget to put one outlet on the outside. Jack L's outlet just inside the door makes sense. Is there enough room to mount it between the screen door and the door?
As Norm indicated, there are never too many outlets.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

Florida
Outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I was going to say don't forget to put one outlet on the outside. Jack L's outlet just inside the door makes sense. Is there enough room to mount it between the screen door and the door?
As Norm indicated, there are never too many outlets.
Our outside outlet came with the trailer, I doubt I would have located it at the rear. On our son's trailer I located one near the front.

We also had one near the front door but it was sacrificed for our screen door.

For many, our outlet under the dinette near the back trailer wall may not be of much value, particularly for those that keep a made up bed. We don't keep our bed made up so this is a valuable spot for our AC heater, putting the heater out of the way. The DC outlet just below the AC outlet is also handy when the heater is replaced by our 12 volt Endless breeze fan.

To be clear, our propane water heater has been modified to run off propane or electricity.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16