Outside covers for openings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Outside covers for openings

We have a used 75 Trillium and have three outside openings with no covers. And one problem is, the electric cord that comes out doesn’t retract all the way in. It sticks out about an inch. Have anyone found replacement covers? And how do you attach them? Yes.... I know next to nothing. Ha ha.
kbingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Karen, I had the same problem with my Trillium 4500, the covers break off. Solution was to replace the assembly by drilling out the rivets, extracting the old fitting, and installing new fitting. I liberally applied butyl tape (from camping world, etc) behind each new fitting, then re-attached with stainless steel screws (could use rivets).

Here is an Amazon link to replacement RV "cable hatch" :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFB6DA0..._t1_B00FFB6ET0

Edit: Some people get rid of the cord port, and replace it with a power inlet, then use a separate cord.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #3

Michigan
Registry
Thanks John, they look perfect. Is it difficult to get the rivits drilled out? Any ideas as to why our electrical cord doesn’t fully retract and how to fix that? We bought this 75 Trillium, not realizing how many issues it had. Yikes. Live and learn I guess. At this point, it’s just one thing after another. But when it’s all done, it will be fun. And we are not skilled enough to do much in the way of those beautiful makeovers but we just want all systems go.
Karen.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Karen, the trick to drilling out the rivets is to use an 1/8" or 3/16" bit and only drill deep enough that the rivet head is separated or disintegrated, then pick out or push in the remains. Concerning why your cord may not be going in all the way, maybe just push it harder?? If that doesn't work, you might have to look inside the cabinet to see what's preventing it from going in. We found that our cord was easier to access inside the cabinet after we removed the furnace (in the Trillium 4500, cord compartment and furnace compartment are adjacent).
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
Thanks again John, that seems almost doable. Ha ha ha. And I didn’t even think to look where the cord comes in to see if there is something in the way. Duh! On the 1300 it is located on the opposite side as the heater, etc. Will go look right now. ��
Old 04-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Best bet on the Trillium cord is to convert it to a surface mount connection (no cord to get caught or stuck in the cabinet). Several of us have done that change including me. It also elongates an opening for bugs and mice to enter your trailer.

I learned this lesson with the Casita we used to have. The cord was constantly catching on something. Total PITA!