Outside edge tire wear 4500 series Trillium - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Name: Dave & Elinor
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Registry
Outside edge tire wear 4500 series Trillium

Hi , I just replaced the radial tire on the passenger side of trailer after about 10,000 km on the new tires . The wear was on the outside edge bald and the rest of the tire still had lots of tread left
In our travels the weight was distributed evenly . Just wondered if it was because of the roads along the edge of the highways in Nova Scotia as they are ruff . The tire pressure on tires were checked all the time and were balanced, Or is it worn out torsion tension , I have the
trailer jacked up on wood so the tires are not on the ground when camping or in storage .

Just like to hear some ideas from the forum
Thanks
Dave from Ontario

Old 08-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Really sounds like something is bent.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #3

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Storey View Post
Hi , I just replaced the radial tire on the passenger side of trailer after about 10,000 km on the new tires . The wear was on the outside edge bald and the rest of the tire still had lots of tread left
In our travels the weight was distributed evenly . Just wondered if it was because of the roads along the edge of the highways in Nova Scotia as they are ruff . The tire pressure on tires were checked all the time and were balanced, Or is it worn out torsion tension , I have the
trailer jacked up on wood so the tires are not on the ground when camping or in storage .

Just like to hear some ideas from the forum
Thanks
Dave from Ontario
A worn torsion axle would cause inside edge wear , since torsion axles wear toward more negative camber and more tow-out.
I understand that the 4500 is a tandem torsiion axle trailer, right?
If so... is the worn tire on the rear axle? Also how exactly equal is the wheelbase on both sides and does the tire in question seem to need air more or less often than the others?
Positive camber or tow out could result from a bent axle or spindle at the base, or even a bearing race which is jambed or not seated.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
What you are experiencing is the exact reason I had the axle changed on my Scamp. No problems now! Tows like a dream, nothing comes flying out of the cupboards and the tires are wearing evenly. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #5

Name: Dave & Elinor
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the info everyone .... Just wondering if it could of been from the friction bar sway controller being tightened up too tight , it is on the passengers side . Going through New Brunswick the speed limit is 110 km per hr going up and down curvy huge hills .Gas mileage goes way down through New Brunswick . I keep her at 90 to 100 km per hr mostly . Going down them big hills felt like the trailer wanted to sway a bit but the sway bar helped alot and makes you feel more at ease .
The weight was evenly distributed in trailer .
Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Sounds like time for an axle replacement. If so get the ebrakes, they sure help with sway when needed. That's the first planned thing I did when I picked up my Trill 4500 last year. Let me know if you need the specs.

Unplanned was the electrical connector to the tow vehicle. I found out that needed replacing in the first KM the hard way.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #7

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Tire and suspension problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Sounds like time for an axle replacement. If so get the ebrakes, they sure help with sway when needed. That's the first planned thing I did when I picked up my Trill 4500 last year. Let me know if you need the specs.

Unplanned was the electrical connector to the tow vehicle. I found out that needed replacing in the first KM the hard way.
I am towing my Trillium 4500 with a sway bar, but no matter the friction setting, I never noticed any wagging behind (sway bar is pretty useless so far). I also think our friend is experiencing axle problems. Weight distribution is indeed essential to check: you must have enough weight on the tongue to prevent wagging. Another factor to check is to use stiff trailer rated tires, not regular car radials that will make your sway bar work a lot more, no matter what.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
About 1/2 way through a 4500 mile trip last fall I noticed the outside edge of the tire on the right side of the trailer wearing off.
I had the tire reversed on the wheel and it was wearing normally when I sold it a few months ago.
John
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #9

Name: Douglas
Trailer: 2007 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Massachusetts
Smile Axel replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What you are experiencing is the exact reason I had the axle changed on my Scamp. No problems now! Tows like a dream, nothing comes flying out of the cupboards and the tires are wearing evenly. YMMV
What did you replace it with? I have a 2007 16 ft Scamp with front bathroom.
Doug

Tags
trillium