outside mat - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Joy does the grass type you use have holes in the bottom of it for the water to get through? Suspect that is where I went wrong in the type I got. My grassy rug had a pretty thick solid rubber bottom that did not fold up very well and it did not dry out very fast.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Carol,

The pretty blue/green thick one I returned had a very thick coating on the bottom. I imagine it would dry quickly either.

The old mat I've use forever just has a very thin coating, you can see the seams which sew it together. No holes in the bottom, it's just thin enough for the water to easily run through. Since it is getting thinner every year some sand will also go through. It so cheap even frays, which is OK to me.
The mat drys very quickly.

Just that cheap light green fake grass. Next time I go downtown I'll look at my local hardware store where they sell it in a box and get the name for you.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #17

Name: Camilla
Trailer: 73 Playpac
Kentucky
I've had three of the fancy mats from camping world and each one degraded and started breaking up in about a year. I was camping three months at a time though. Anyway I saw someone using a much thinner mat that looked like poly of some kind and I asked about it. She said it was the material that you see on top of open semi trailers to keep dirt and such from blowing around. I found a place that actually sews the stuff and I had them make me one the exact size I wanted. Darn thing still looks like new after several years. It's great. I'm on my cell right now but if anyone is interested I could search around on line. Mine is multiple colored
Old 05-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #18

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Just saw the box/step post. Another project. Great idea! My wife wanted a step and bought a small collapsible step that , to me, is a hazard. Always need another place to put stuff. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #19

Name: Camilla
Trailer: 73 Playpac
Kentucky
Here is the material That I saw so many Floridians using and that I now have. It's only $7.98 a yard and it's wide. Bo-Tuff 99 Inch Multi-Color Woven Mesh - Outdoor Textiles

There are lots more places selling it if you do a search for multi-colored mesh truck.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #20

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilla View Post
Here is the material That I saw so many Floridians using and that I now have. It's only $7.98 a yard and it's wide. Bo-Tuff 99 Inch Multi-Color Woven Mesh - Outdoor Textiles

There are lots more places selling it if you do a search for multi-colored mesh truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I like the kind in the link below - think they are the same as what Kevin posted. The are made of a plastic type material and I found they dry much faster as they have holes right through them, easier to roll as it weighs a lot less than my previous one which looked a bit like the astor turf. You can find them at Walmark and many other places for about $35 - Camping World charges way more for the same thing. I also use a smaller one over it at the door that is better at brushing off dirty feet - the kind that is plastic and looks a little like grass.

RV Patio Mat Reversible Floral Design by Ming's Mark Inc.
Been following this thread and realizing I will need something like this. Not just because it's a good idea in general, but because I have an almost 4 month old baby and it seems like a good idea to have a spot outside where she can be on the ground and not rolling in the dirt!

Both of these choices look good, but given the baby, I have two concerns: How impervious to dampness are each of them? Not looking for waterproof of course, but if I lay it down on damp ground, and my daughter then sits on the mat, will her butt get wet? Also, how easy are each of these to clean (not disinfect, but at least not having loose dirt on them). I assume shaking out for light dirt and hosing down both work reasonably well?

Camilla? Carol? Others?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #21

Some dampness will come through my thin mat if the ground is more than damp, meaning wet ground. I stake my mat down because it will get blown by the wind. I sweep the dirt that I track onto it off. But for the most part the mat works great and keeps my Poodle, with velcro fur, clean.

I generally have the awning out so that helps keep dampness off the mat as well as rain. The mat doesn't get wet from rain unless the water flows in it's direction, other than what extends past the overhang of the awning.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Larsen View Post
Just saw the box/step post. Another project. Great idea! My wife wanted a step and bought a small collapsible step that , to me, is a hazard. Always need another place to put stuff. Thanks.
Reid and others that are interested in the step box.

The box is made out of 1 x 4 's with 1/4 inch plywood on the bottom and 1/2 inch plywood as the lid and 2 simple hinges. I purchased a rubber mat and added it to the bottom to keep the box dry. As you can see I painted it, added a mat to the top and handles, which match the handles I put inside my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
109_7849.JPG  
Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I as Joy does use an awning so mine stays pretty dry and it does clean off very easy. shake it our or lay it over a table and wipe off if its really dirt at home a hose down does the trick. If put on really wet ground a little bit of dampness will come through. If you do not have an awning then one of those easy up shelters might me worth considering for the baby.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #24

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
I have an easy up, and will use it, though I'd like to get/install an awning (but need to figure out how to do that; as I noted in another thread, I'm a complete dummy/newb when it comes to all of this). So yeah, I'm assuming that I'll be able to keep the mat dry from rain, just wondering how well the different choices stay dry if the ground is wet.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #25

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We purchased an RV mat when we camped at a very nice small campground north of Cooperstown, NY a couple years ago. It is a woven plastic mat made from recycled milk jugs. It is about 8' x 10' and lets moisture go right through because of the weave. We keep it on the ground inside our 10'x10' FirstUP and just shake it out when we're ready to pack up. Great addition to our setup, since our feet stay dry and sand seems to filter through, too, so we don't track so much in. This was fairly pricey, though, at about $75. It's lasted two camping seasons thus far.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #26

Trailer: Trillium 4500
We use a cheapo astroturf type mat from home depot. It's great because it's, well,.. cheap! It's poor construction means that it's pourous enough to dry out quickly, shake out easily, and roll up small. We store it rolled in a PVC tube on the rear bumper. The kidos love it too!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2754.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	36169
Old 05-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #27

Hey, that looks like mine. Except I pull mine taunt, nailing it down.