Oven Door Off Canter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Oven Door Off Canter

My oven door is crooked. I remember this happening once before and it somehow worked itself out, but clearly something is going on and I can't figure it out.

I don't know what you'll be able to tell from these photos, but if anything jumps out at you, or if you can compare them to how your door is, or you've experienced this before and fixed it, let me know!

It has had a "catch" in the door when I close it for the last while. I just stop when I hit that "catch", go back a little, then close it and it closes fine. But now the hitch/catch is gone, but when it closes, the right side is too low, and rubs against the oven frame. Bad for where it's rubbing, and it will let heat out when I use it.

Any ideas?

It's hard to see in the photos, but the hinges aren't quite right...I can tell that they're bending the metal of the door where they go into the slot. The last couple photos should show that on the right, the door is resting against the oven frame. On the left, theres a too-large gap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	110192

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	110193

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	110194

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	110195
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
An oven in an RV?

This is the first I've heard of such a thing.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Don't need no stinkin' oven
Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

Montana
I do!

I agree they aren't necessary, and I never would have asked for one had I been buying a new trailer, and it was an option. But this trailer happened to have one...and man it's nice. Especially since I live in mine for extended periods. Not only is it the worlds most inefficient toaster, but it really is nice to bake things now and then. And I like toast.

There are two metal pieces you can see in the first two photos. Not sure if it's those upper hinges, or the lower pieces right at the base of the door causing the problems.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #5

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1989 BIGFOOT 17' - FOR SALE
British Columbia
Registry
I have the same issue...

I have a '98 Bigfoot with a Trav'ler stove manufactured by Elixir Industries... (no longer available or in business - as far as I can tell)

Have you been able to resolve your issue with getting the door to close correctly?
BMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Speaking in generalities about oven door hinges. To remove them look at the hinge and see if there is a small lever area that swivels up which will allow the hinge to slide out of the body of the stove or there might be a clip on the stove body that retains the hinge which needs to be slid up. I can't tell from you photos what situation you have but a little closer investigation on your part will answer that. It looks like there is an empty hole in the hinge area. You will want to put a nail or something in though that hole so the hinge does not collapse back on itself when you try to reinstall it but instead remains extended. That is the purpose of that hole

You can also head to youtube and look for videos on "vintage oven door hinge repair" Because companies bought stock products from catalogs such as hinge sets to put into their products such as stoves you are likely to see something similar even from an oven that was not specific for use in an RV.

Your hinge might be bent. It is often possible to straighten them back out with hammer and/or pliers.

I used to have one of the ovens you had in my Sunrader but I put it into recycling as it was too rusted out to be of use. So unfortunately I can't do a step by step for you.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

Montana
Thanks Karen. I did look up how to take the door off then I got sidetracked with more pressing problems. My camper seems to be full of them!

To answer Barry, my fix, for when I actually use the oven, I stick an all-metal vegetable peeler under the low side of the door. It props it up enough that the door is actually in contact with the weather stripping/insulation that runs all the way around the opening of the oven. Otherwise it was dropped down below that insulation so I was losing a lot of heat out the top.

For now...it works. Hopefully I'll get back to working on at some point. Right now I've been dealing with a broken furnace.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
K.C and Zach... I to have had other pressing issues, that coupled with the time of year (...winterized) takes me away from this issue - until spring likely...

My understanding is that the oven door is removable (??) to that end do you know of the 'support arm', that moves when the door opens/closes, would stay connected to the door or body of the stove ?
Old 10-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMack View Post
K.C and Zach... I to have had other pressing issues, that coupled with the time of year (...winterized) takes me away from this issue - until spring likely...

My understanding is that the oven door is removable (??) to that end do you know of the 'support arm', that moves when the door opens/closes, would stay connected to the door or body of the stove ?
It stays connected to the door when you take the door off. But of course it can then also be removed from the door for putting in a replacement part. But hopefully you won't need to replace it as that would mean hunting down a vintage hinge from an RV scrap yard. Sometimes a good wack with a hammer is all that is needed to flatten a bent part and make it useable again.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
K.C...
Thanks for the reply. from memory, and without standing in front of the oven, I would think that the 'support arm' needs to be pressed down while lifting the door off the hinge - does that sound correct?

Also, you suggested a nail through the 'arm' to prevent it from falling into the door. Also a good tip... Thanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #11

Montana
IF you have the manual, it's all in there (aside from flattening things with a hammer). I was lucky enough to buy a trailer with all the manuals included. The oven manual describes the process for removing the door, including the nail trick.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
... Alas no manual, the only information I can find is basic operating instructions.

My door problem is slightly different than Zach, in that after I got the door level, by lifting while closing, it now will not close completely (open about 1") as if one or both of the hinges are jammed........
Old 10-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #13

Montana
My guess is we have different manifestations of basically the same problem. Mine will occasionally get stuck just before being closed all the way. If I back off a little and lift up while I try closing again, that usually does it.

Not saying that'll do it for yours, I'm sure you've tried all sorts of stuff, but I think both our problems probably lie in the same messed up joint.

If it'll help, I can post a photo of the directions for taking off the door. Might be just as easy to find online, but if not, I'll post them.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #14

British Columbia
Registry
... thanks, any information you can provide would be much appreciated. Have been trying to source this online with no luck.

Tried to physically remove the door yesterday with no success, and I don't want to do any damage by prying.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #15

Montana
I’ll post the instructions in a couple days. I’m out of town right now. I remember it saying it would take some pressure, but you want to be sure you apply pressure at the right time on the right part...
Old 10-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Zach.... much appreciated. No rush.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #17

Montana
Let me know if you can read this. I can always take a more close up photo of certain parts.

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	112572
Old 10-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Zach... Can read no problem. Thanks for all the effort and support. Very much appreciated.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #19

Montana
No problem! Good luck.