Oven won't light - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Oven won't light

Hi All

My RV has a 4 burner stove with an oven. The pilot light will light, but the oven won't light up. It appears that the pilot light is not enveloping the thermocouple bulb to allow the gas to flow to the oven burner. I read on RV Doctor that it could be the thermostat. Has anyone had this issue, and if so how did you trouble shoot the system and resolve the issue.

Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gerry, The thermocouple needs to be hot to allow the burner gas to turn on. If the pilot is not heating the thermocouple then the burner will not ignite. What I do is, I take a propane torch and I heat the thermocouple to see if it will trigger the burner gas and lite the burner. Then, if that works, I then try to adjust the pilot flame to envelope the thermocouple.

If the propane torch has no effect I would then replace the thermocouple. They are not expensive and can be purchased here in the US at Lowes and other stores. They are universal and come in various lengths. I Take the old one with me to the store so I can get the correct length. One last thing, be extremely careful because dealing with gas can be extremely dangerious.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
If the pilot light is lighting and staying on then the first part of your system is ok. The termocouple needs to be in the pilot flame so if there is no flame present to burn the propane flowing, the primary gas valve will not stay open and not turn your oven into a bomb by continuing flowing propane with out a flame present. The the pilot light flame is present to light the oven flame. If that is the case and pilot stays on but when you crank temp up to 400 and oven flame never comes on then your thermistor is failing (thin wire at back of oven) or your secondary gas valve is stuck. In which case I would replace your gas valve assembly which will come with a new thermistor. If it is not the case and pilot not staying lit then try what Darwin said. Always use a back up wrench on lip fittings and always carefully check for leaks at fittings after anytime you mess with a fitting. Best of luck and stay safe.
"Always look on the Lite side of life" - Eric Idle
kevin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
From your description of the flame I suggest you have a spider web blocking part of the pilot orifice. Cleaning with compressed air is safest, next is a small pipe cleaner. Never use a metal object to clean any gass orifice. A bit of rubbing alcohol might help clean it also.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote