Ovens - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
While I have not ever seen one in an Egg, does anyone have an oven? I would guess a small one could fit where the ice-box is, and I personally think it could come in real handy.
I love to bake, and would love one in my Boler.
Any ovens out there??

Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Cuisinart convection toaster oven. Use one all the time, at home, and decided to buy one for the camper. Actually, I took the old one for the Casita and put the new one in the house. This past weekend I made 30 biscuits, nine at a time, for sausage gravy. Roasts chickens, bakes muffins, a 12" pizza, cookies, casseroles, etc. It is very accurate.

Best thing is, you can set it up outside and not heat up your little trailer and it is not too big to carry.

Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Best one out their.

Name:   41V2C7TGFCL._AA280_.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  9.4 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Marjie, I had asked a similar question, and the reply from about 90% of the people was.......... heat factor! In such a small space. Made sense once the word heat-small space were brought up, Yes there were a few who replied that their eggs had one, but didn't use them cause of how hot the trailer gets. Suggestion were to do it outside. The portable ones Kevin and Terrie suggested look nice. I might have to check those out. Someone also posted about the portable campfire oven and said it was nice. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Thanks all,
I am quessing that the convection ovens work on electricity, which we never have when camping. I should have said that!
I know that Coleman makes a couple of ovens, one quite simple (approx. $25) which is basically a metal box with insulation that fits over the propane stove. I might try it since it folds down flat for storage.
They also have a more expensive one.
I am sure there is a heat factor....but if I only used it during chilly times, my trailer would feel good, and smell great!
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
And there are always Dutch ovens and charcoal.......
1980 Bigfoot 17' & 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
A few years ago we bought the Coleman oven for over our camp stove and it said to only use outside.
I have used it a number of times for different items and even though it only has the one rack it works quite well.
When we are going to be in places that we know we will have full services I have just packed my toaster oven from home and it was sure nice to have....

I know coleman also makes an oven that has its own regulator for a propane bottle so you don't need to have the stove, but we saw that after we bought the one we have.
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Marjie, Yes the oven you and Doug-Anna posted about is the one that everyone seemed to like.

I saw a convection oven today at Costco. only $54 bucks, but I never even used the one in the Class A so I suppose I would have no need to carry one with us.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Trailer: Trillium
We have the oven in our trillium and have used it about 3 times in 5 years. it creates excess heat
in the summer, but does help a bit in the winter, but I prefer the furnace which I know vents outside.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

While I have not ever seen one in an Egg, does anyone have an oven? [b]I would guess a small one could fit where the ice-box is...
I think that in 13' Eggs the kitchen counter/cabinet is too shallow (front-to-backsplash) for most RV ranges with ovens. And, as you said, you'd loose the Icebox (or Fridge) if it did fit.

I have seen several 16' and larger trailers offer ranges with ovens as an option, if you order it from the factory. I know Scamp offers that option on some of their 16' and 19' trailers.

I have a gas 3-burner range with oven in the Fiber Stream, which Robert uses a lot.

16' Amerigo also has a 3 burner gas range with oven.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
My Compact II has the optional range with the oven. I think it's kind of rare, as I don't think I've ever seen it in any of the units I've seen on here or elsewhere. I heartily agree with the idea mentioned earlier, that since our rigs are so small inside the oven really heats it up fast. I've only lit my oven once (And I think it was the first time it had ever been lit EVER!hehe) and while it worked just fine, it did heat the interior of my rig up FAST and HOT! hehe Personally I don't do much cooking when I camp, and I have even less use for an oven, so it has become another storage space for me.
I have seen some folks do some amazing things with cast iron dutch ovens, baking with them while camping. I actually picked one up for myself, and am looking forward to a future Rally where I can learn from some of the Dutch Oven PROS just what I can do with it! hehe

Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #12
Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
What about the camp chef oven? It is for outside, runs on propane. Looks pretty sweet for that outdoor kitchen. We love our other camp chef stuff.

Name:   oven.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  4.7 KB
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1978 Boler
My Boler has an oven, but I don't think I will ever use it. When your out camping in Saskatchewan in the 30+ (Celsius) temps, even running the stove can make the trailer to hot...
Michael Knelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
I am finding this discussion fun to follow. Eating is one of my hobbies. (just started a new diet )

We have been cooking in all types of ovens and enjoy trying new ones all the time.

Ovens seem to be a factor of:
  • Space
  • Cost
  • Effort
  • Time
  • Weight
We usually use a Dutch Oven because they are out doors and create that fun camping atmosphere. Some of the ovens we've tried, used, with my thoughts:
  • Mud Ovens (similar to Navaho bread ovens, takes 24 to 48 hours to build if location permits)
  • Pit Ovens (labor intensive, but give BIG, WONDERFUL results for a large group)
  • Stove Top Ovens (easy compromise for rainy days)
  • Oak Wine Barrel Ovens (great for slow, smoky roasting with oak over tones of meats)
  • Dutch Ovens (best all around oven for cooking, baking most anything, heavy, requires misc. equipment)
  • Cardboard Box Oven (easy, light weight & fun for biscuits, cookies)
  • Propane Trailer Oven (takes lots of space in a small trailer, convenient, over heats trailer)
  • Solar Oven (easy, takes a few hours, does a great job)
  • Reflector Oven (used in front of a camp fire, popular with Boy Scouts)
They all have their fun and place and create a new experience. (I left out Microwave. I guess it could be included, but doesn't fit my idea of an oven)

PS: DIET = Did I Eat Today?

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote