Overhead cabinet - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
While cleaning the scamp for a trip tomorrow I noticed that my overhead cabinet has fallen away from the wall a bit. It looks like mostly the fabric on the walls and ceiling are holding it up. Have any of you made a repair like this? Nina

Old 06-02-2007, 01:54 AM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
While cleaning the scamp for a trip tomorrow I noticed that my overhead cabinet has fallen away from the wall a bit. It looks like mostly the fabric on the walls and ceiling are holding it up. Have any of you made a repair like this? Nina
There are two cabinet types of Scamp overhead cabinets held up by two different types of fasteners. One type are the fiberglass cabinets held up by pop-rivets through the hull, the other are the wood-look cabinets held up by wood screws through the hull into wood blocks inside the cabinets.

If it's your fiberglass cabs that are loose, you need to replace your rivets, a topic discussed ad nausea in and a rivet runs through it.

If it's a wood cabinet that's bugging you. It's possible that all you need to do is replace the old wood screws, which may have rusted or come loose, with new stainless steel wood screws and seal up the screw covers on the outside of the hull.

More likely, however, is the screw covers have leaked water into your hull and the wood blocks the screws connect to have wood rot along the screw holes. Here's what I would do for a wood cabinet:
1) Remove the cabinet by removing the six wood screws from the outside of the shell. You'll need someone inside to play "Catch" with the cabinet! Keep one of the screws so you know what size replacement to buy and save the screw cover parts for re-use!

2) Inspect the wood blocks where the screws attached. If you see lots of wood rot, replace the blocks. If there's just a little wood rot you can use a wood rot repair product to stiffen up the wood so the screws will hold (ask someone knowlegeable in the hardware store paint department about this).

3) While you're at the hardware store don't forget to buy new STAINLESS STEEL round-head wood screws, matching washers, and some white paintable exterior silicone calk and sealer. (A small tube will be more than enough.)

4) Put a washer on each of your wood screws and feed them through the screw cover base. Clean the hull where the screw feeds through with some rubbing alcohol, then dab a thin line of silicone caulk on the hull-side base of the screw cover and feed the wood screw through the hole into the hull.

5) Once all your screws are fed through have your helper line up two of the screws at one end of the cabinet up with their screw holes inside the cabinet and PARTIALLY tighten them. Then repeat for the other end of the cabinet, then do the two screws in the middle.

6) Tighten the screws a little bit at a time until the cabinet is snug against the interior wall of the Scamp.

Done!

--Peter

Old 06-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
I'd agree with Peter entirely, except for the silicone caulk. I'd personally use the non-silicone Marine caulk at Wally World in the Marine section of the Sporting Goods dept. I believe it is made by 3M but is the only Marine caulk they carry. Silicon products are not reliable on fiberglass.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
3m Marine Adhesive Caulk 5200 is awesome stuff for fiberglass. It takes awhile to cure (appx 4 days in my case) but it goes on like caulking and sticks like no other. Cures to a hard rubber-like texture.

You can also find it at Home Depot and Lowe's.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Just went and looked at my caulk that Wally carries and it is 3M Marine 4200. About $3 a tube. As D says, Great stuff for fiberglass.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote