overnight condensation under bedding - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #15

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
What i am learning about fiberglass trailers is they lack insulation and that's your main problem. You have cold air coming from some where and I am betting it from under the bed area. Maybe the floor or the storage under the seats. Fix that problem and I bet the water goes away. With my total rebuild I am planing to insulate my trailer to the max and I hope I won't have condensation. Good luck!
Sam

Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I was thinking a small heater under the dinette table when it is a bed. No?

Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
What about a fan to blow some of the heat from the furnace to under the bed?

deryk
Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #18

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
This is what I used under my cushions and on the floor of all my storage areas to help with condensation. I found the Dry Floor Tile at Walmart and the Multy Tile at Canadian Tire. A window and a vent opens helps too.

Karen
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #19

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What about wearing depends.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'd like to say that it's my belief that condensation under pads isn't necessarily related to body moisture (SWEAT, Darwin! )

I've seen it under my dinette cushions when camped alone and no one's been sitting/sleeping there at all.

Circulation/insulation seem to me to be key, and the several suggestions here for improving those sure sound spot on to me!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #21

Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'd like to say that it's my belief that condensation under pads isn't necessarily related to body moisture (SWEAT, Darwin! )

I've seen it under my dinette cushions when camped alone and no one's been sitting/sleeping there at all.

Francesca
True, but on the other hand, it can be. I spent many years sleeping on good quality foam mattresses at home, as did all my kids. I found that body heat is sometimes sufficient to cause condensation between the bottom of the mattress and the (in my case plywood) frame material even when the interior room temperature is warm. My ultimate solution then was to cut slots in the bed frame to allow the condensation to pass through to air below. This essentially installed better ventilation. Since the humidity did not linger, there was no long term damage to the mattress material.

For you, since you probably donít want to cut the table top, I would suggest that you can find out the cause of your problem by noticing whether other cushions, such as a front seat, that are not part of your bed also experience this same condensation at the same time. That will inform your solution. If the problem is all or mostly in your bed, I would suggest trying a vapour barrier, just like house insulation. This could be a plastic sheet, or perhaps your sleeping bags made of waterproof outer shell, or some such thing. Otherwise, your best option could be to install the venting panel mentioned by prior posters here. If it is humidity caused by bodies, your mattress materials will eventually become unattractive unless you can vent the humidity out somehow, either by preventing it from getting into the mattress (a plastic sheet) or by venting it all the way through.

I have also seen a small bit of condensation occasionally build up in the underseat storage areas of my trailer on cold nights when the furnace is on. This generally doesnít stay through the daytime, but again ventilation is the key. If that is happening, then a small vent to the outside (covered with screen to prevent bug access) may take care of it.

Good luck,
Rick G.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #22

Name: Daryl and Wendy
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
What about a fan to blow some of the heat from the furnace to under the bed?
deryk
I did set the portable electric fan in the space under the table top (under the bed) to force air movement. We certainly slept warmer, and there was less moisture, but it was still noticeably damp on the table top (under the bedding). I expect the dampness has less to do with condensation that the ability of our bedding to breathe, as the table top is of course water proof.

Maybe I'll replace our arborite table with an air hockey table to add ventilation!? As a bonus we could have tournaments to determine who gets up early to make coffee.