Ozone Generator????? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
My car flooded when the convertible top was changed and not seated well. It took a year of adjusting with intermittent flooding, creating a great humid environment for mold and mildew. No problem cleaning the mats and batting in the car, but the mold got into the ducts and vents, and there was no way of cleaning it without some sort of airborne treatment. The professionally applied ozone treatment worked, and the smell has been gone for six months, now.

I don't get lost, I go on interesting side trips.
blodn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #16
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Originally Posted by Bananaman View Post
Keep in mind mould only grows on cellulose material (like wood or paper) not plastic or fiberglass.
Interesting, then what do you call all the grey / black stuff on the vinyl wall of this Trillium? It is my understanding that mould can grow on dust as well.
Attached Thumbnails

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #17
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Years ago I used to have a client in the advertising/marketing agency I ran that had one of these ozone treatment businesses. In the course of developing their sales collateral I learned a lot about the process and we even had him demonstrate it for us in our building and a car owned by the agency owner, who was a smoker.

In a nutshell, I learned that the treatment really does work. It kills mold spores and eliminates odors, even heavy cigarette odors. However, I don't recommend using it in a vehicle as the ozone, even in the small concentration used in these treatments, will damage and age rubber components like seals, gaskets, hoses, o-rings, etc.

Make of that what you will. Maybe not as much of an issue in a trailer, and if you only do it once, it might be a non-issue. But if you use this treatment and find something made out of rubber falling apart a few years down the road, you'll know why.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #18
Name: Ken
Trailer: Trillium
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Interesting, then what do you call all the grey / black stuff on the vinyl wall of this Trillium? It is my understanding that mould can grow on dust as well.
Dust is what I would assume as the food source. I would also assume that it was left unattended for a while to look like that though.
Mould spores are naturally occurring and around us all of the time. But, like every other living organism it needs food and water to grow.
And yes....ozone does work to eliminate odors, but like there are newer and safer ways to have positive results without the risks.

Bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote