Packing/Organizing Thoughts - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Following is a repeat of a previous reply to a request for organization tips. 'Hope it's helpful.

Clothing Storage

I'm soooooo glad you asked about clothing storage in a 13' Scamp! Storage tips of any kind are most appreciated! On our most recent trip this week to Clear Lake, California we "christened" the beautiful new shelves my husband installed in the half closet. We were very frustrated with the factory-installed single bar which allows you to hang your clothes from front to back, not side to side. Access to the clothing in back was awkward at best. When camping we really do not need to hang clothes. A few wrinkles are acceptable. Now we roll each shirt and pair of pants so they stack on top of each other. I store my socks and undies in a net "lingerie washing bag" with a zipper closure. My husband and I each have a small toiletry bag. Of course, being a woman, I have my curling iron, hair dryer and lotions and potions as well! I keep my sleeping accessories (novel, nightgown, sleep mask, earplugs, hairband, knit cap, etc.) in a ditty bag in the cabinet above the dinette/bed.

I was shocked to find that we easily filled all 4 closet shelves with our minimum of clothing and it looked UGLY! I had hoped to use some shelves for clothing and some for other camping "stuff" while using attractive bins to hold it all, but that was not to be. I'm thinking about the following option for the next trip. Each of us will have a 22" duffel bag for our clothing. The duffel can double as bolster pillows side by side on the bed or can be stored upright at the ends of the sofa or dinette. They can also be placed under the bed at night. If we choose this solution we don't have to unpack at all! To make the bolster pillows/duffels look better we can drape an attractive beach towel or fleece blanket over them. To help the duffels retain their shape I might line them with the foam matting that is used for yoga or backpacking. I just don't know yet.

For jackets we use over-the-cabinet hooks on the closet door.

I made custom-made "shoe pockets" for the interior of the closet door to hold lightweight, but often used items such as gloves and knit hats.

We needed a place to put our books and glasses at night because we read in bed. I made custom-made pockets that hang on each side of the window. One hangs on the rat fur and attaches with Velcro and one hangs on the fiberglass side of the closet with loops from suction cup hooks.

By the way, I use locking suction cup hooks everywhere on the fiberglass! I hang towels, keys, fly swatter, etc.

I want to know how to store shoes and boots.

Also, how do you use the storage space in the sofa hatches?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Following is a repeat of a previous reply to a request for organization tips. 'Hope it's helpful.

Clothing Storage

I'm soooooo glad you asked about clothing storage in a 13' Scamp! Storage tips of any kind are most appreciated! On our most recent trip this week to Clear Lake, California we "christened" the beautiful new shelves my husband installed in the half closet. We were very frustrated with the factory-installed single bar which allows you to hang your clothes from front to back, not side to side. Access to the clothing in back was awkward at best. When camping we really do not need to hang clothes. A few wrinkles are acceptable. Now we roll each shirt and pair of pants so they stack on top of each other. I store my socks and undies in a net "lingerie washing bag" with a zipper closure. My husband and I each have a small toiletry bag. Of course, being a woman, I have my curling iron, hair dryer and lotions and potions as well! I keep my sleeping accessories (novel, nightgown, sleep mask, earplugs, hairband, knit cap, etc.) in a ditty bag in the cabinet above the dinette/bed.

I was shocked to find that we easily filled all 4 closet shelves with our minimum of clothing and it looked UGLY! I had hoped to use some shelves for clothing and some for other camping "stuff" while using attractive bins to hold it all, but that was not to be. I'm thinking about the following option for the next trip. Each of us will have a 22" duffel bag for our clothing. The duffel can double as bolster pillows side by side on the bed or can be stored upright at the ends of the sofa or dinette. They can also be placed under the bed at night. If we choose this solution we don't have to unpack at all! To make the bolster pillows/duffels look better we can drape an attractive beach towel or fleece blanket over them. To help the duffels retain their shape I might line them with the foam matting that is used for yoga or backpacking. I just don't know yet.

For jackets we use over-the-cabinet hooks on the closet door.

I made custom-made "shoe pockets" for the interior of the closet door to hold lightweight, but often used items such as gloves and knit hats.

We needed a place to put our books and glasses at night because we read in bed. I made custom-made pockets that hang on each side of the window. One hangs on the rat fur and attaches with Velcro and one hangs on the fiberglass side of the closet with loops from suction cup hooks.

By the way, I use locking suction cup hooks everywhere on the fiberglass! I hang towels, keys, fly swatter, etc.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #17

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
One suggestion was to use hand towels instead of bath towels for showering. I haven't had the need to do this since we seem to have plenty of space for our stuff but just a though...
Old 06-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Norm posted some nice pictures of his added storage. He screwed the lids (kind that latch) of plastic bins to the underside of trailer floor, added an extra hook thingy and bungee of some sort and used them to store things like extension cords, leveling blocks etc.

Essentially added waterproof plastic boxes to wasted space under floor for stuff mostly used outside of trailer anyway.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #19

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We stuck up two of those 3M adhesive hooks (the kind that can be easily removed without damage) in the shower...one for each bath towel. My wife put a buttonhole in each to hang them. We did the same by the sink for a dish towel.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
I've heard the expression "Let me organize my thoughts..." but I've never heard of packing them....
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #21

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
write down everything you put in it. after a few trips anything that doesn;t get used,,,,leave it home. and be very carefull about what you need,,,,and what you want. theres a difference.