Packing wheel bearings? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
Packing wheel bearings?

Called my local Jack Williams to see if they can pack the wheel bearings, and they responded without looking at it they don't know. I don't know enough about it- other than I see on this forum it is suggested it be done every 3 years. My Fiberstream was in storage for at least 10- and Ive only owed it a year now. Would I know if the bearings had to be packed by the way the trailer pulls? I can say Ive pulled the trailer cross country at pretty decent speeds w no problem.
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I repack every spring.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You need to have the bearings repacked now and again every few years. The only way to tell if there is an issue is to measure the temperature of the wheel hub. Some touch it with their hand and others use a little portable non-contact thermometer.

Non-Contact Pocket Thermometer

In any case you are way past due.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #4

Registry
Ok- i have to admit, i don't even know what wheel bearings are. I should have mentioned i did get brand new tires and rims a few months ago- I dont know if wheel bearings are a part of this, or if they are a part on the trailer itself. ?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
Ok- i have to admit, i don't even know what wheel bearings are. I should have mentioned i did get brand new tires and rims a few months ago- I dont know if wheel bearings are a part of this, or if they are a part on the trailer itself. ?
The wheel bearings are in the center of the thing that the wheel rim bolts to. The bearings would not have been touched by replacing the tires and rims.

Any competent mechanic can repack the bearings for you - i.e. don't get ripped off at an expensive RV dealer..
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
How to here repack a wheel bearing video etrailertv - YouTube
Wheel bearing Click image for larger version

Name:	LM67048-WM_1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	46197
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Call around to local mechanics and get a price for doing the work.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The non contact thermometer that Thomas mentioned is more than well worth the $12.99 price.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cindy conventional RV wisdom seems to be that the bearing should be inspected, repack and seals replaced once per year or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Suspect the reason they indicated that they cant say if they can or can not be repacked is they need to look at the condition - they may need replacing not just repacking.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #10

Registry
Thanks everyone!- the trailer bearings get looked at tomorrow, I will update on the outcome.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Called my local Jack Williams to see if they can pack the wheel bearings, and they responded without looking at it they don't know. I don't know enough about it- other than I see on this forum it is suggested it be done every 3 years. My Fiberstream was in storage for at least 10- and Ive only owed it a year now. Would I know if the bearings had to be packed by the way the trailer pulls? I can say Ive pulled the trailer cross country at pretty decent speeds w no problem.

I was also told to do it every 10,000 miles. Since you haven't done it since purchase, I would just for the sake of it. Won't hurt anything to do it now.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #12

Registry
Diagnosis: I need new wheel bearibgs and brakes for the trailer! Soooo...i have to take it to a RV dealer. Hopefully I can get an appoint before my camping trip this weekend!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Diagnosis: I need new wheel bearibgs and brakes for the trailer! Soooo...i have to take it to a RV dealer. Hopefully I can get an appoint before my camping trip this weekend!
Sorry to hear that but its not really a big surprise based on the age of your trailer. Dont be surprised if they tell you that you need a whole new brake assembly and not just new brake pads.

You dont need to take it to a big RV dealer - they normally charge way to much. There are often small shops around that are not dealers but who do maintenance & cheaper than the big dealers. There is a fellow in my area who use to work for a big RV dealer that was located here - they moved from the area but he set up shop on his own doing repairs and maintenance only - its a very small but a busy place! :-)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #14

Registry
Does anyone know how dangeroys this is to continue to pull?! We had planned to go camping this wkend about2 hr away.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #15

Registry
Well Cyndi - having a toasted wheel bearing could result in you loosing a wheel and could lead to a not so good ending of your trip. Add to that the fact your brakes need replacing is not IMHO a good combo - the end of the day the choose is yours but keep in mind if it all goes bad you may not be the only one that's impacted.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Does anyone know how dangeroys this is to continue to pull?! We had planned to go camping this wkend about2 hr away.

Wheel bearing failure can be very serious. I'd take it to a local trailer fabricator / repair shop and have new brake assemblies and bearings installed. They have all the parts and know how without the high prices of an RV dealer.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #17

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Just had the wheel bearings in my 13' Scamp repacked yesterday for $60 at the local auto repair shop where they replaced my tires last fall for $180. Boy those little tires are a wee bit spendy. There aren't any brakes on my trailer. I feel better now that it's all done, tho. Can relax a bit when I'm driving down the highway...Well, at least until I have to back into the campsite.
He did say the bearings actually looked ok, but figured he'd repack anyway since he had the tires off.
My neighbor said he'd show me how to do the repacking next time. 10,000 miles might take me a while.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #18

Registry
Well good news- i opted not to take it to this larger RV place - whomnin the past has charged me ridiculous amts of $ for wgat?! Im still trying to figure it out!---I actually found a small family run RV repair shop and campground also in the Poconos, PA. The mechanic was my age, knew of my family and our business, etc. Etc...anyway, he really took the time to explain everything to me. Told me exactly what I needed. He said alot of these RV repair places are only trained to install new parts, costing RV owners so much unnecessary $; that its becoming harder to find repair people skilled on older trailers. Well, end of story: my bearings will be replaced, brakes, and installation of that brake controller thingy inside my TV- and be ready for my trip to Mighty High Fest this weekend!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
My neighbor said he'd show me how to do the repacking next time. 10,000 miles might take me a while.
Actually Lil you are best not to wait until 10,000 miles - its one year or 10,000 which ever come first. Always for your on comfort best to have them down at the start of each year.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Carol, Would you share the name of this little place in our neighbourhood. you can pm me if you'd like.

Cheers,
Mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote