Paint ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I need to do alittle painting inside the hotwater cubby part. it seems to have the beginning of a few little rust spots. and also would like to paint the outside of the hotwater door as its yellowed.. I dont know if someone had repainted it or not?
what kind of paint can i use? beings the door part gets very hot is it ok to use just the "rust-o-lium type spray paint or do i need to use auto paint or appliance white paint?
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Be advised that only the primer kinds of Rustoleum paint are actually rust-stuf. Despite the name, most of the line seems to be plain old paint like all the others.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
I need to do alittle painting inside the hotwater cubby part. it seems to have the beginning of a few little rust spots. ...
to STOP the rust you have to do it right. Ruststop or POR-15 is your only true choices w/out a lot of prep work. These require it too but over all a little less since they are also paints that cover/protect.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
ok.... so what kind of paint for the furnace door? Auto or appliance... i dont wanna blow myself up ... even after its dryed.... It looks like someone might have painted it once before and its turned sorrta a tan color or that was the color of the paint??
Even if the door gets hot will either the automotive paint or the appliance paint be ok??
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Registry
Hi Christy, I'm going to do the same thing to the inside and door of the water heater compartment in my Trillium this summer. I plan on looking for something like this....

http://www.stovepaint.com/

We used to have an old cast iron wood burning stove and would give it a black paint job occasionally to keep it looking nice. No problem with the paint on most of it. The pieces of the stove that came in direct contact with the wood would eventually fade to a brownish-grey. We'd repaint... Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 Honey Boler
I used Brake Caliper paint available at your automotive shop. It's meant for heat and comes in some nice colours.
J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
High-temperature automobile engine exhaust manifold paint also comes in a variety of colors, but it isn't glossy. Have you checked to see if the doors actually do get hot enough to turn the paint colors? If so, I'd check with an RV repair shop about this being a normal occurrence or might one of the appliances be malfunctioning?
Please keep us posted about your discoveries.
Thank you for bringing up this topic.
Kurt & Ann J.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting