paint - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #1

Name: Vic
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Alberta
paint

I'm the new kid on the block. I am picking up our 73 boler this weekend. The inside is liveable, but the outside has to be painted. I was reading on marine paint and I was wondering if I could get some more info.
Vic.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I just finished painting my Hunter Compact-II with Interlux Briteside and it came out beautiful. You will need to learn about the Roll & Tip method of application, and don't try painting without at least two people, one to roll the other to do the tipping.
The Interlux site (and many others) have info on the application technique.

On the plus side, it gives an excellent finish.
On the minus side: a) It's expensive, b) color selection is limited, c) It's expensive, d) It has to dry a minimum of 24 hours between coats (it will take at least two) e) It's expensive, f) You should use the special undercoat before applying color coats, and g) Did I mention that the paint is a little on the expensive side, but worth the price?

BTW: Preparation is the key to a good job, the actual pant application is fairly quick and easy

Old 08-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #3

Name: Vic
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Alberta
Thanks for the reply Bob. When you say expensive, how much a quart?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #4

California
I bought Interlux Briteside at a local Marine supply for about $35/qt for undercoat and $110/gallon for color. I used 2 qts of undercoat and over 3 quarts of color.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #5

Name: Darragh
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Alberta
Registry
I used Interlux Brightside marine paint also.

Here's a link to my paint job if you want to take a look:
My 72 Boler Reno
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
What makes you think it needs to be painted? You know these trailers came from the factory with a gel coat finish... NOT paint. Right? We can help bring back the shine, if that's what you're looking for. Once someone has "fixed" holes with bondo and/or epoxy... well, that's a different story.

If you're only looking for "shine" save a bunch of bucks to spend on fuel to get yourself to camp or pay for a site, just let us know what you REALLY need.

BTW Vic, to FiberglassRV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #7

California
Don't Paint?
What, and miss out on the chance to have a trailer that actually has a touch of color???
The chances of an intact gelcoat on a 39 year old trailer that has been exposed to the elements might be slim to none. And, in the case of my 39 y.o. Hunter, it had already been painted over almost 30 years ago.
Beside that, painting is fun, it's doing the preparation that sox.....
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm certainly not opposed to paint on eggs Bob, but without knowing more, Vic may think the only way to get a shine... is paint. And we know that's not true.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #9

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
Vic, if you need to paint, another paint to consider is Petit. It's similar to interlux, is a marine paint and I found good reviews on the shin lasting. It's a one-coat paint and they also have a good primmer. I agree with bob that the preparation sux, but my trailer had little gel coat left and I had to do fiberglass work, so it was no question that I needed paint. If I had a trailer and was just concerned about the shine, I would try the polyglow or similar treatment first. Send some pictures of your trailer when you get it.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
No paint--floor finish

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	49592

Name:	IMG_0003 (2).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	49593Click image for larger version

ID:	49592Click image for larger version

ID:	49592

Name:	IMG_0003 (2).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	49593

My 1975 Trillium. Just washed with Vim, rinsed and 5 coats of Zep WET LOOK FLOOR FINISHED. Shines like a million bucks !

Ron
Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #11

Name: S&G
Trailer: 1977 Boler
British Columbia
Hey Vic -

I used Brightside Interlux marine paint about two months ago for our '77 Boler. We needed only two coats to cover up an ugly goldish brown colour. I did white on top and dark blue on the bottom. I did NOT prep with primer or undercoat. I simply sanded it really well and then sanded again between coats.

Using the roll and tip method, if you feel like you're putting lots of paint on, it turns out really well - the only time I ran into trouble on the coats is at the beginning where I was a bit tentative with the paint and used less than I should have. And it didn't take long to do at all, but I would encourage doing it in a larger space than a tandem garage...

The high gloss shine was totally worth the extra bucks. For the two coats, we used about 1.25 quarts for the bottom and then 1.75 quarts for the top and door. And it cost anywhere from $37 to $40 here in Vancouver.

The worst part about doing it yourself is the first time you get a nick in it, you want to cry...!

Good luck!

s.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
I have a 1973 Boler the paint was good a little dull. I poli-glowed the whole trailer it shines like new. I painted a Compact Jr. with Topside marine paint it costs $35.00 a gallon. I did not use a undercoat. It came out really nice and no one helped me.
Chuck
Old 08-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #13

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by vics454 View Post
I was reading on marine paint and I was wondering if I could get some more info.
I found an interesting article that seems to give a good explanation. I've been thinking of painting the top and door, polishing the gelcoat on the bottom half.
Topside Painting - Rolling and Tipping

I'd be interested in hearing from those that have painted if they agree with what is being said in the article.
Especially this comment:
"Fiberglass gel coat is not an ideal surface for paint. It is so slick and has such low porosity that paint has a hard time adhering. A primer coat that chemically softens the gel coat and bonds to it should be used prior to applying the first finish coat of paint. Special fiberglass primers are made just for this purpose."
Old 08-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #14

California
As mentioned, I just finished painting my Hunter with Brightside and I agree with everything in the article. The marine supply house that I bought my paint at was adament about using the special primer. I was told that they have seen unprimed applications bubble and/or start peeling within 3 months of application. If you're going to pay $35 a quart for paint, do it right the first time.

Tags
paint