Paint on outside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Paint on outside

The exterior of my Ventura is painted in some paint that has an extremely matte finish, almost to the point of roughness. I removed the tail lights put on by the PO and the finish underneath is smooth to the touch. I suspect that it may have been painted with house paint. Any suggestions as to how I would tell what kind of paint it is? Can I risk painting over it with an appropriate paint after lightly sanding?
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #2

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Are you sure it's not just really old oxidized gel coat? The Area under the tail lights would be protected

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Ontario
explanation

The tail lights were replaced by the PO (as far as I know) who placed 3x9 plywood spacers behind new round tail lights. I removed that lights and ply and underneath was the shiny material.
But is that a possibility, that oxidized gelcoat becomes rough and dull?
Old 07-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #4

Indiana
Registry
Take a little sandpaper to the raw edge at the tail light an see if it is paint. If it just transitions to fiberglass and not gel coat then it is likely old gel coat. And yes 20 yr + old gel coat looks duller than flat black pain as to sheen.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #5

Ontario
Not gel coat

I tried your suggestion and sanding takes it down to the same colour as the colour under the tail lights., a creamy white rather than the starker white of the body. So, I assume it is paint. If it is not peeling, can I just sand it lightly and paint?
Old 07-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #6

Indiana
Registry
If you are sure it's paint then you need to see if it's compatible with the new paint. Some paint systems don't play well with others and will actually cause the base coating to dislodge bubble or peel. So you will have to test an inconspicuous location with the proposed paint to see if it works unless you are planning on sanding off all the paint. If it was gel coat it would be a light sanding wipe with mineral spirits an you are good to go with almost any paint system.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #7

Ontario
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I really would prefer not to have to remove all the paint. I will get the smallest possible can of paint and do a test.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Re used hd boat rubbing compound with out wax; cleaned the entire trailer with vim removed all caulking. Then re-cleaned with vim and then wiped entire trailer with acetone. Now most of the repairs and gelcoat patches done. Depending on weather also working on cupboard repairs etc.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #9

Ontario
I am sorry but I don't understand. Did you do this treatment to the outside of your trailer instead of painting?
What patches and repairs did you do?
I have a lot of patching to do, inside and out, and think that I will need to do some painting on the bottom half at least to make it uniform.

Tags
paint