Painting before or after putting the windows back in - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Painting before or after putting the windows back in

I realize that posting one question at a time gets better results than posting a list of questions... Live and learn!

Should I paint inside and outside before I put the windows back in? I found someone to look at my frame with me and might have to work on sealing windows while we get to the frame.

In other words, my question is: What's the proper order to do things?
a) Remove windows, paint inside/outside, put windows back in with new seals.
b) Remove windows, put windows back in with new seals, paint inside/outside?
c) none of the above...

Does the fact that I need to work on the frame and on the door change something? I would think that I should take care of the frame and door before painting so... b)?
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Just me? Don't know if there's a "proper" way, but much prefer to see the bare shells in the paint booth. Nothing but the shell.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Always paint first.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: SCAMP
Virginia
Registry
I'm prepping to do the same thing with my new 1979 16 footer. I will remove everything from the shell, paint interior first, then tape off the openings and paint outside. Then assembly..... I would take care of the frame and door before paint
Arvonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Paint first, install windows second. The reason, windows will always need attention. Whether 15 years from now or... whenever... You want the body to be fully painted. Because when someone pulls those windows to rebed... there will always be that area that doesn't quite fit and the area not painted will always show.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #6

Quebec
There's an amazing and unusual constant in your anwers... Got it, thanks! Will follow your advice!
Old 01-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Sylvio - I am in much the same boat as you. My '73 Boler is presently partially (70%) stripped out. I've already removed the shell, cleaned (sand blasted) and painted the frame, replaced the axle (included new brakes!) and re-mounted the shell. Next, I intend to 1. remove all windows, 2. seal and recaulk all ensolite, and repaint interior walls, 3. repaint and finish the shell exterior, either by hand or auto-body-shop, 4. reinstall the windows, and gaskets. 5. I will then consider my interior renovations and rewiring. This forum has been my principal source of motivation, and ideas. I look forward to learning of any further suggestions.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #8

Quebec
Bullfrogeh, what a project, huh? I have someone coming to look at my frame Monday. Might have to remove the shell as well. The good side is that I'll have a brand new camper by the end! Let's stay in touch and compare our progress!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Paint first because if you have rubber mounted windows the rubber shrinks with age and will leave an unpainted out line. You can have a similar issue with hard framed windows as the hole for the window is over sized for the frame. When you re-bed a window you may not get it in the same spot and will show some unpainted areas. Much cleaner job if painted with the windows out.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting, windows