Painting Fiberglass Interior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi,

I am going to be repainting the fiberglass interior of our Trillium (part of the reason we are looking for an all original Trill to complement this one as I modify it). The only posts I have found on this topic recommend using Zinnsser 1-2-3 primer followed by a top coat of CIL Dulux Interior Alkyd Melamine.

I am going to have to sand the last paint job down to the original gel coat as it was roughly done with a paint brush. Any thoughts on what final grit sandpaper I will use or other tips, other paint options? Doug Mager mentioned he would have used the shortest nap roller sleeve available.

Thanks in advance.
Booker
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I am going to have to sand the last paint job down to the original gel coat as it was roughly done with a paint brush. Any thoughts on what final grit sandpaper I will use or other tips, other paint options?
Did you try peeling off the old paint with a razor-blade type scraper such as one you'd use on glass?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Booker,

Someone here mentioned sometime back that they painted their interior glass surfaces with the Interlux Brightside that is highly recommended for the exteriors and that it did a good job. Maybe they'll chime in here.

Finally found one of the threads:

Interior Glass
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The requirements for interior paint are significantly less than for exterior. The big problem in developing exterior paint is resistance to UV light. Interior paint is not affected by much UV.

So using a paint like Interlux Brightside is great, but rather expensive considering where it is being used.

Zinzzer 1-2-3 is a shellac dissolved in alcohol. It sticks to just about anything, and just about anything sticks to it. It also builds up quickly, dries quickly, doesn't smell too bad and is impervious to moisture. So it is a great primer that doesn't cost much and can be applied with a brush or roller.

For the top coat any good enamel would be just fine. I used a floor type enamel with great results. It dries a bit slow, but since it was a warm summer day it worked out fine. By the time I finished a coat and got a cup of coffee, it was not quite tack free and the next coat just melded right in. After three coats the dingy greyed ensolite was a nice bright white. Three years later, it still is and is much less likely to get mildew in all the little wrinkles.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Another vote here for the Zinsser primer. I used it on the ensolite walls, cabinets and cabinet doors. 4 years later, it looks great with no problems. The top coat of paint I purchased was like the Interlux from what I recall. I remember doing a bit of research on it and ended up buying from a Diamond Vogel Paint store a product that had polyurethane in it. It's commonly used on floors and shelving, places of high wear. It's been terrific. The colors came in standard hues, but, they were willing to mix mine to the color I wished.

I'm thinking about doing using the same paint on the exterior of the Lovebug, I've been threatening since I brought her home. I have a beautiful shade of blue-more grey than a baby blue, more white than a sky blue, and not quite a steel blue. It's hard to describe but when I look at it, it's a very peaceful, serene color of blue.

Have you thought about using a product to strip the previous paint? Even TSP, mixed rather strongly and applied, allowed to sit on it for a few minutes, may ease this removal job. There are some non-toxic products out there, too.

Good luck!

Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001_01.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	12872

Wer scraped with a razor blade before sandingwith 220 grit. The old paint covered some damage to the roof. We then used Interlux primer and Brightsides using the directions given by the dealer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Paint__2__2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	12873
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Thanks for all the feedback. I have not yet tried to scrape the interior.

Just to clarify, I do not plan to paint the ensolite, just the previously painted fiberglass.

I don't know if I will get to it this spring, only 2 months until the boys are out of school, but if I do I will be sure to post before, during, after pictures. We all like pictures eh?

Thanks
Booker
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting