painting help needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Lee
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Registry
painting help needed

Hi, If any one has been here done that and can give us any help please jump in. First my husband, Lee, patched and sanded then washed the 84 Scamp with soap and water and then put one coat of pre coat primer . After that he sanded and wiped down with 333 thinner .He then rolled and tipped a coat of Brite side interlux paint. (same brand for primer) It looks spotted in a few places. Will a 2nd coat help that or is there something else we should do.

We found some spray brown/red primer made by Rustoleum to use on the bottom half and then will spray with same brand a red color. On a test spot you can see all the tiny spider cracks with the red but not on the top half with white. Brite side does not make the color red we wanted so that is why we were going to try the spray. What you do think we should do next with both top and bottom. Thanks Joanne
Lee Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Nothing that comes in a spray can (except maybe cleaner) should ever be used on the outside of your trailer. Any spray can paint will fail within a few years and you will have a mess.

BUT, I believe that you can get custom tints both in Briteside as well as Rustoleum TopSide Marine paint. Regular rustoleum should be left for lawn furniture, fences. etc. If you have used Rustoleum spray can primer already, at the very least, I suggest recoating with their Marine primer, if not removing it entirely. Many paints and primers just don't bond to fiberglass and/or gelcoat very well

And yes, it will take at least two coats of Briteside for a good white finish. Had the same issue when I painted my Hunter Compact-II. BTW: I hope you used Interlux "Pre-Kote", it forms a polymer bonding link of some sort with the color coat.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: 13 foot 1992 SCAMP
Arizona
Hi Bob, I used rustolium spray paint on my trailer and it worked out really good! I scuffed up the gel coat, and the paint bonded great. I then used the zep floor wax over that. I am the worst painter in the world, and know nothing about painting, and I still think it worked out great for my scamp. No problems so far, so I hope you are not entirely correct on your opinion of canned spray paint

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
GROVER 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You didn't mention how long your spray job has aged, or how much sun exposure it has been subjected to. My experiences with several different spray can products I have seen used on others RV's hasn't been al that encouraging. I have a 150 foot long wrought iron fence that, no matter how much I first sand and prime before applying Rustoleum spray-can paint, within 1-2 years it has always needed repainting in places, both from fading and peeling. Ditto for several pieces of Lawn Furniture that get outside exposure 24/7/365 in the hot SoCal sun.

But, while I do hope you are having better luck with your paint job, I just can't recommend a method that doen't have that good a track record.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: 13 foot 1992 SCAMP
Arizona
I live in Phoenix AZ, and so far I've had my can spray paint job for 2 summers, comming up on summer 3 soon. Of course I keep the scamp covered when not in use.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
GROVER 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting