Painting Interior - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2003, 05:58 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Painting Interior

Hi :wave Has anyone painted the interior fibreglass? If so with what type of paint and with what kind of result. Was it durable and what kind of prep was done. Thanks

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 06:23 PM   #2

Barbara. Mike Watters has posted several messages (in different threads) about painting fiberglass. Try our search function (blue button near upper right of the forum screen). It's quick and works very well.

Try the following combination SEARCH-

Search term: paint
Search username: Watters

Normally I'd just post the results of my own search for you, but there were several hits you (and others) might be interested in.

:cheers

Old 05-14-2003, 09:28 AM   #3

painting

I'm actually not clear on the question:

Are you looking to paint the insulation on the inside or the fiberglass on the outside???

Painting the ensolite:
As elsewhere - I used spray vinyl (comes in cans from Rustoleum for repairing car dashs and such). Worked very nicely.

Painting the outside:
I used Rustoleum paint and rolled it on. I'm not totally pleased with the texture that was left to be honest though. If I were to do it again I think I'd definatly use a spray (for something flatter), and possibly switch to either a polyurethane paint or gel coat itself. Both of those options would be MUCH more expensive however and require extensive prep work as well. The nice thick, mildly textured Rustoleum did a nice job of covering up 31 years of weathering flaws and some fiberglass repairs that I also did.

mkw

Old 05-14-2003, 01:55 PM   #4

Painting Interior

Hi Mike, What I would like to paint if possible is the fibreglass interior - closet etc. I am going to use Melamine on the ensolite, with caulked seams. Barbara

Old 05-14-2003, 09:57 PM   #5

painting the glass itself

OK - I redid the inside of my door and the inside of the closet walls with spray laquer (sp?). It's held up fine so far. If I get around to doing the outer surfaces (kitchen, beds, over-kitchen cab), I'd probably use the same. I'd worry about durability in high-wear areas though. The other option of course would be to try to spray on gel coat. I don't have any experience doing that. I tried seeing if you could roll on the stuff. It rolls on quite nicely, but is left with more of a texture than I wanted.

In short: Spray paint of some sort is definately the easiest/cheapest way to go. Spraying on the gel coat is without a doubt the hardest, most durable solution.

Then again - you could think outside the box and cover all the glass with 1/4" stained plywood. :) (pretty straightforward except for the lip at the top of the kitchen... I gave it considerable thought at one point.)

mkw