Painting Interior of a 1975 Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: Trillium
Utah
Painting Interior of a 1975 Trillium

This weekend we purchased a 1975 Trillium 1300.
This is our first camper and I need your input on a few interior painting projects.

If there is an old thread coving these topics can you direct me there. Thank you.

-How do you paint the inside fiberglass surfaces? How you you prepare this surface? What kind of paint you use?

- Have any of you painted the inside neoprene/foam wall surfaces of a 70's Trillium? How you you prepare this surface? What kind of caulking product do you use to repair damage areas and fill in gaps? What kind of paint you use?

Thank you for your help
TrillSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I would refrain from painting the fg if at all possible unless it's been painted before as it will always chip or scratch offBut it can be done with a good binding primer and a high performance paint . The ensolight one the other hand can be easily painted with a water based kilz or similar primer and Top coated with a good 100 per cent acrylic water based paint unless it has smoke or water damage then you will have to use a oil base kilz primer . You can use a good quality latex caulk for the seams or repairs but never use silicone if you plan to paint over it
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Search this site for "Roll and Tip", lots of advice. Sand with a 400 grit sand paper.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-57412.html
Fiberglass RV - Threads Tagged with Painting
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:44 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi,

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm also getting ready to paint my ensolite.

Couple questions I have

- I can buy new seam moldings from a place in Calgary. Something I will likely do. But... is it a better idea to caulk?

- Would it be better to use an oil base primer? I use a lot of kilz blocking and have 1/2 gallon at least (have some rental houses).

- Do most people paint white or do they get creative? I'm considering if it would look good having the couch area and ceiling one color and the dinette another. Demarcation is a potential problem.

Again, sorry for the hi-jack.
Mitch Drackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrillSLC View Post
If there is an old thread coving these topics can you direct me there. Thank you.
Here's a cool, older thread for you... just to give you inspiration. It's not a "how to" thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ors-25341.html

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Drackett View Post
Hi,

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm also getting ready to paint my ensolite.

Couple questions I have

- I can buy new seam moldings from a place in Calgary. Something I will likely do. But... is it a better idea to caulk?

- Would it be better to use an oil base primer? I use a lot of kilz blocking and have 1/2 gallon at least (have some rental houses).

- Do most people paint white or do they get creative? I'm considering if it would look good having the couch area and ceiling one color and the dinette another. Demarcation is a potential problem.

Again, sorry for the hi-jack.
A top quality acrylic primer (eg. Zinsser 123 or similar) would be more flexible than an oil based one - and of course less odor. Clean as best you can beforehand with scrub brush.
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #7

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Paint

I have a 1976 Trillium and discovered that the "show" fiberglass on the counter, seats, etc. was actually in pretty good shape and didn't need painting once I'd applied the necessary elbow grease to get it really clean. So I'd say don't rush and remember it's not a new trailer in any case. I am going to fill a couple of bad scratches and may apply some Zep.

The inside of the cabinets and storage compartments were a different matter - stained to the point I didn't want to put our stuff in there! And the porta-potti garage? You don't want to know! And the inside of the cabinet that once contained the furnace and fridge was just rough, hairy fiberglass, original build I think. So I cleaned and sanded all of these, applied some resin to any hairy fiberglass, and then three coats of acrylic porch and floor paint (recommended by Trillium Tom and my hardware store). My paint expert says don't prime anything you're going to walk or place heavy objects on. I had it tinted a nice Trillium beige and they look nice and clean and stands up well.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting, trillium