Painting the boler - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi everyone,

We are just starting to do some work to our 72 Boler that I bought in the spring. Can anyone tell me the type of paint to use on the interior and exterior walls. I have no idea what i am doing. I know I need to sand down the outside before I paint but what about the inside? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maureena G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
On the outside I sanded my unit down when I owned it. I then painted it using tremclad paint and a foam roller. I was very pleased with out come.

The inside was washed down with a good house hold cleaner (TSP) and then, If i remember correctly i used a good quality kitchen/bathroom paint.

Others will chime in with there ideas.

Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Maureena,

There is quite a range of paints/coatings that one can use on the inside (presuming the fiberglass furniture) and the outside, with various plusses and minusses, costs, and application methods. Not to sound un-helpful, but we have had a number of threads in which people have taken the time to type at length about the options - I think if you search the archives here you will find some really good, specific information.

In a nutshell:
Prep is paramount, no matter what you do. Painting is just this little step you do at the end of the prepping process

For coatings, you have everything from a one-part alkyd-based paint brushed or rolled on all the way up to a two-part LPU sprayed on. Results and longevity of the coating and shine vary according to how good the prep is, and how good the coating is. Two-part coatings will generally keep their shine quite a bit longer (20 years is not unheard of).

PS: If you find the search here difficult to work with, try using Google's search feature. Just type in your query in the following format:

search terms

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Chester and Raya for your replies....I think I will try the tremclad and kitchen/ bathroom paint. Today we are putting down the new floor (It's the old floor from our mudroom that is still in good shape so we're putting it in the boler). Hope to start painting soon!

Maureena G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Painting a trailer is like painting your home... if you want the paint to last. Preparation, preparation, preparation. If you don't take the time to do good prep work, a few years down the road you'll have a bubbling, peeling mess. We've seen enough posts where people are asking about striping paint off because of a bad paint job to know it's not a quick fix. That doesn't mean it's not doable and you won't have good results. Just do what needs to be done, without shortcuts and you'll have a paint job that will last for years. After all high-end boats and early Corvettes, which are fiberglass are painted!

Don't forget to post before and after picture, we love to look!
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
One other crazy problem that my son had when he painted my Scamp several years ago was overhead clearance.

It was under one of those 10ft by 20ft portable covers. This worked great for the prep work, but when it came time to paint there wasn't enough room for him, the ladder and spray gun to cover the entire top of the trailer.

What we ended up doing was to place the Scamp to one side of the containment, then spray one side of the top. After that was done, the Scamp was moved to the other side and the other side of the top was sprayed.

The downside was the overspray from the second side was quite visible on the first side and required a lot of sanding and polishing.

As with most home brew jobs, it isn't perfect, but it must be good enough for government work because the taxes didn't go down! :>)

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote

boler, paint, painting