Painting the exterior - truck bed lining? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Surfside
Hi All,

We are going to paint the exterior of our Surfside and I'm looking for some feedback.

I had seen on a posting that someone painted their boler with truck bed lining and then primed and painted it over top. The autobody shop suggested that we can have the lining tinted to the color that we want and wouldn't need to complete with a painted coating. Would be cheaper to go this route than to have them fix the hairline cracks and then paint. We were thinking that it would also hide any future rock chips. Has anyone done this? Pros/Cons?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you
kimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kim. one of the nicest I've seen was a Boler done by Brady and Jenny. They did all the work themselves. Check out these pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtn.fresh/BOLER#, here's the topic where they talk about the Durabak Truck Bedliner: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=30915&hl=
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
truck bed lining isnt for an entire trailer i dont think...maybe along the bottom for guarding against chips from rocks etc...Youre body shop is correct that some of the truck bed products can be colored to match your car etc ...but none of them stay bright and always fade...I guess they have trouble with UV protection on these products.
Anyhow its far from a smooth finish...just look in the bed of any Rhino lined truck etc...you sure you want the entire traier covered that way?..It's tough though along the bottom of things...last few inches maybe.
also remember that if you buy a kit from Easton or someone like that to be dyed yourself(they just use auto paint in it) that you roll it on or buy a sprayer (expensive) thats meant for undercoating and other like viscosity products(thick and gooey)..and that some of the commercial applied types are heated and put on that way with an elaborate machine...Onyx comes to mind...they put it on hot and it carries its luster a bit better...........they all fade .havent seen one yet that doesnt.....Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Kim. one of the nicest I've seen was a Boler done by Brady and Jenny. They did all the work themselves. Check out these pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/mtn.fresh/BOLER#, here's the topic where they talk about the Durabak Truck Bedliner: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=30915&hl=
Thanks Donna! I wonder if the fading problem with Durabak is rectified with painting on top?......
Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
There is another Boler I know of that was coated in truck bed liner and then painted. It's this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow_3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	27260

Name:	yellow.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	27258

Name:	yellow_2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	27259

They explain quite a bit of the process in the photo captions of their restoration set, here, right down to the millage of the truck bed liner:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dentremont_bo...57594093038423/

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks Donna! I wonder if the fading problem with Durabak is rectified with painting on top?......
If I remember right, Brady and Jenny used Durabak that didn't need to be painted. Perhaps an e-mail or phone call to the manufacturer would be in order?
DURABAK America's #1 Producer of DIY Truck Bedliners Since 1989
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
There is another Boler I know of that was coated in truck bed liner and then painted. It's this one:

Attachment 27260

Attachment 27258

Attachment 27259

They explain quite a bit of the process in the photo captions of their restoration set, here, right down to the millage of the truck bed liner:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dentremont_bo...57594093038423/

Raya
Thanks Raya! This is the one that we saw as well. I wonder how the shiny yellow held up over time? We're hoping for similar results, but want to know if it held up before we go ahead. I love the look of this boler!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
You know, in my mind I had thought that Brad and Jenny's trailer was painted after the truck bed liner went on (okay, now I'm going to have to check )

Edit: Okay, I looked at their Picasa album, and the (limited) captions say "We used Durabak truck bed liner," and " it took three coats/three gallons and went on beautifully" So it does sound like they did not paint separately, Donna, you are right.

Raya

PS: Kim, I would think the shine retention would depend on the paint. For example, a two-part LPU such as Awlgrip can remain shiny for decades, whereas a simpler, one-part paint such as Brightsides will have much less long-lived shinyness. As to how well they adhere to the truck bed liner over time - that I can't say. And of course you wouldn't get the same "reflective mirror" qualities on a rough surface.

Given experience with "non-skid" surfaces on boats, I would wonder about it holding dirt and/or being a pain to clean. Would be interesting to know how they like it after some experience with it.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:31 AM   #9

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
We painteda jeep with truck bed liner and were unable to keep it clean since then.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #10

Quote:
We painteda jeep with truck bed liner and were unable to keep it clean since then.
Thank you for all of your comments - food for thought!

It sounds like you wouldn't do it again.....
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:

They sell UV protection guard now... I called them and they say it will not fade in sunlight.
Joe Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Hi All,

We are going to paint the exterior of our Surfside and I'm looking for some feedback.

I had seen on a posting that someone painted their boler with truck bed lining and then primed and painted it over top. The autobody shop suggested that we can have the lining tinted to the color that we want and wouldn't need to complete with a painted coating. Would be cheaper to go this route than to have them fix the hairline cracks and then paint. We were thinking that it would also hide any future rock chips. Has anyone done this? Pros/Cons?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you
I Used a product called Durabak... Avalable from their website... Expensive but practically bulletproof

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkonduc/
David Konduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting