Painting the funiture modules after they already painted with a brush - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 13 ft Scamp
I would like to paint all the furniture modules in my 89 scamp, I had read and got advice on what to use to prep them and what to use for paint (Rusto appliance white). I have now realized that they have been previously painted with a brush. My question now is do I need to use paint stripper first and then use the Interlux 202 to clean them and then sand them?
Tim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you think you'd prefer to go back to fiberglass first, see this information about a paint stripper for fiberglass: RemovALL 610- Anti-Fouling/Fiberglass Paint Stripper. I have no person knowledge about the product, only what I've read on another fiberglass trailer site.... which is it works well, but you must be patient as it takes longer to soften the paint that described.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Here are two considerations:

1) You will want to have a smooth surface. Any brush marks or other irregularities will telegraph right through, regardless of how many coats of new paint you put on. You may be able to sand it down smooth without stripping, but...

2) You will want to be sure that your two paints are compatible. As a rule of thumb, you cannot put a "harder" paint over a "softer" one. If the paint was put on sloppily, I would be figuring the person probably did not go all-out on an expensive "hard," paint, but you can't know for sure unless you have the old can of paint in hand.

For some paints (usually two-part paints), they have a way you can test the current paint (should be mentioned on website or in technical literature). For example, one test is to score the existing paint, soak a cotton ball or rag in the solvent used for the new paint, tape it on over the scores, and wait 24 hours.

In the end, you have to do what you are comfortable with. For me, the prep work involved in painting (as compared to the quick little step of actually painting at the end) is enough that I don't take chances. If I don't know, I take the conservative choice.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting