Painting the innerds... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2007, 10:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Anyone have ideas (what kinds) of paint to paint the fiberglass parts of the inside of Glass Eggs?

We have painted the insides of the storage areas and painted the cabinet doors, and in the process have changed the door hinges to a better color matched set of hinges (grey). We cannot however seem to find any color matched door latches/clasps, so we will need to take ours apart and try to find a decent color match for these puppys. Our color scheme is going to be basic white with grey trim and a small amount of black (changed off the replaceable fridge panel for a black one froom our 'donor' dishwasher) for accent.

I'd like something really strong (to maybe better withstand scuff marks) especially for the counter top but was hoping for a waterbased paint for ease of touch ups when needed. I'm concerned about scuffing the counter top (although its small in size anyway) because this IS a work area.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Can't help you with paint, but I had the same problem you did trying to find door clasps, handles, etc. I was using my original cupboards so the holes for the hardware were already there. I wanted to upgrade to some nice handles, but there were NONE on the market that would fit the holes, sooooo.......
I used silver Tremclad and painted them. I thought I'd be extra smart and added a coat of polyurethane over top, but it was turning out a bit funny (it was dissolving the Tremclad upon application). So then I read the instructions and found that you're not supposed to put anything over top. Oh well. The drawer and cupboard fixtures have the Tremclad and polyurethane; the hinges are just Tremclad. Every year I do a little touch-up on the hinges because swinging the cupboard door "scratches off" some of the paint, but only because of the friction. The handles look pretty good - at least they're not that AWFUL brown color.
Here's a pic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	7098

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #3

Registry
Here's the before...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_Bottom.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	7099

- Miriam
Old 03-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #4

Registry
By the way, the "before" shot shows what happens when you use granite paint on the Ensolite. It flakes off. Forever. Because the paint shrinks and expands with heat and cold at different rates than the ensolite. Not good.

- Miriam
Old 04-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #5

Registry
Thanks for posting those pics Miriam! Looks like a nice 'go over' on your trailer. I see your doors do NOT have the little catches that ours has to keep the doors from opening. WHAT keeps them 'secured'??

We started scuffing the 'glass at about 9:30 today and just now taking a break for a bowl of soup! Wish I had more info as to how far one needs to SCUFF to get these things prepped for paint. Don't want to take too much off, just the sheen I hope, cause thats what we're doing. Should have it all done by "HAPPY HOUR " Vancouver time. Will need to be sure to wipe it all down with a tac rag before we prime the glass. Good thing its a short work week for my wife, she can catch what I miss on Friday.

I'm thinkin we best wait for warmer temps before I spalsh the paint on the walls
Old 04-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Are you using a primer?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for posting those pics Miriam! Looks like a nice 'go over' on your trailer. I see your doors do NOT have the little catches that ours has to keep the doors from opening. WHAT keeps them 'secured'??

...Wish I had more info as to how far one needs to SCUFF to get these things prepped for paint....
Thanks, Doug!

Latches: The drawer has a little notch in the slider. You have to LIFT UP and then pull out. The lower cupboards have stiff hinges, and the shelves inside have a lip on them. It's a little bit of a pain in the wazoo putting things in and out (not much, but a little), but everything stays secure. The closet has an interior mounted latch.

Then there's the overhead cupboard, where we keep our cups and coffee. Now I KNOW that thing rattles open and closed when we travel, but again there's a lip. If I put things in one layer only, I'm okay. If I stack things, like the time I stacked the can of coffee grounds on top of the cups, and then we hit a bad bump when travelling, like we did the year before last, then the door can swing open and launch the can across the room where it smashes against something and coats the interior of the trailer in a fine layer of coffee ground dust. Ergo, a tiny piece of dict tape to hold the thing closed while we travel. That's the only cupboard that needs it, though.

PREPPING FIBERGLASS FOR REPAINTING:
You need to sand out all the hairline cracks. It's a MAJOR pain in the wazoo, which is why the people that paint the exterior of these little units either do a poor job on them or they charge an arm and a leg for prepping them. It's not the paint and the baking, it's the sanding, and sanding, and sanding, and sanding,...

Bobbie has a good point. A good primer, that "fills" things in would make the results much nicer.

- Miriam
Old 04-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #8

Registry
Bobbie, yes we (I) decided to use a primer before we paint. I don't know that its needed but sure won't hurt. The outside paintjob as a freebee from the body shop doing MAJOR restoration work on our Model T Touring hot-rod. Nothing fancy, just a good scuffin' and a spalsh of "in your face" Ford white. Trillium (raised) logo on the door is painted in that 'flip flop' color changing paint. The stress cracks are gonna keep comin back anyhow, so a later fix on those might be in order, but LATER!!

The closure 'latches' on our doors have NEVER let any of our doors open in transit, but I really will need to paint them up to match the NEW grey hinges. These hinges have a built in closer spring ~~ something the original ones lack. Happy hour has fallen on us leaving only the rear bed area and the inside of the door to scuff. The door looks like quite a challange to clean up.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #9

Registry
Looking forward to seeing the "after" pictures, Doug!

- Miriam
Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:

We started scuffing the 'glass at about 9:30 today and just now taking a break for a bowl of soup! Wish I had more info as to how far one needs to SCUFF to get these things prepped for paint. Don't want to take too much off, just the sheen I hope, cause thats what we're doing. Should have it all done by "HAPPY HOUR " Vancouver time. Will need to be sure to wipe it all down with a tac rag before we prime the glass. Good thing its a short work week for my wife, she can catch what I miss on Friday.

I'm thinkin we best wait for warmer temps before I spalsh the paint on the walls
WOW...missed this post. Would love to see the "afters!"

Tags
paint, painting