Painting the INSIDE of your egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Painting the INSIDE of your egg?

Good morning all! Gosh, I'm so grateful that we have this place to come for ADVICE from seasoned Fiberglass owners!! We're brand new owners of a new to us Snoozy & seeking advice! Looking to do just a few lil things to make it our own & thought about~ a fresh paint color on the inside. What type/brand paint would you use? A kitchen bath type with a primer already in it? Something washable, definately...but has anyone done this before? Thanks so much!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We painted the inside of ours, which was ensolite, previously painted a very pale blue by the PO and I didn't love it. I used KILZ indoor/outdoor primer, one coat, then 3M Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Indoor/Outdoor White, one coat. It comes in quart sized cans. It's been on over a year now, and no flaking or peeling. It's super washable with a damp cloth and still looks fresh and new.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #3

Florida
Painting inside your egg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
We painted the inside of ours, which was ensolite, previously painted a very pale blue by the PO and I didn't love it. I used KILZ indoor/outdoor primer, one coat, then 3M Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Indoor/Outdoor White, one coat. It comes in quart sized cans. It's been on over a year now, and no flaking or peeling. It's super washable with a damp cloth and still looks fresh and new.
Wow! I hadn't thought of using that...thank you...good to know!!I'm guessing the Kilz was a paint on not spray on type right? Thank you!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #4

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
Wow! I hadn't thought of using that...thank you...good to know!!I'm guessing the Kilz was a paint on not spray on type right? Thank you!
Yes! Paint on KILZ. I used a roller for both the primer and paint. It went on super easy. Just make sure you have good ventilation!

I wanted to make sure that if there was moisture or condensation, both my primer and paint were suited to that (it also helps that my sister is a painter and recommended both )
Old 07-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Florida
Wink Painting instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Yes! Paint on KILZ. I used a roller for both the primer and paint. It went on super easy. Just make sure you have good ventilation!

I wanted to make sure that if there was moisture or condensation, both my primer and paint were suited to that (it also helps that my sister is a painter and recommended both )
Yayyy!! I get it now!! Ohhhh my gosh yes,-the FUMES! Even in such a small space, this is gonna be a fall/winter job for sure! Thank you again!!p.s. You bought this...Lowe's or Home Depot?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Read labels before choosing paints to put into a small confined living space.

Do you really want to put on a paint that contains mildecide that is not recommended for such a location?

Do you really want to use a high VOC paint?

Is there an alternative to those products?

You and your family and friends are the ones who will be using that space so the choice is of course up to you to make.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

Do you really want to put on a paint that contains mildecide that is not recommended for such a location?

All very good points and would definitely be worth considering and researching.

For us, we are okay with using what we used, because we spend very little of our time in any given year, inside our trailer. Basically sleeping 20-30 nights per year, usually with windows and doors open. In the scope of our lives, I'm okay with that

Everyone needs to, of course, make their own choices with what they are okay with.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
Yayyy!! I get it now!! Ohhhh my gosh yes,-the FUMES! Even in such a small space, this is gonna be a fall/winter job for sure! Thank you again!!p.s. You bought this...Lowe's or Home Depot?
I actually bought it at our local ACE Hardware store, but I see that Amazon sells it as well. (One quart did our entire 13 foot Scamp) The KILZ I got from Home Depot. (They also sell a lower VOC KILZ that is about $46 per gallon)

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-19...painters+touch

https://www.amazon.com/1-gal-Latex-I...6KFAPBTHBYWCQQ
Old 07-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #9

Florida
paint alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

You and your family and friends are the ones who will be using that space so the choice is of course up to you to make.
Gosh, I never thought of these things, ...can you suggest any alternatives?! This is unfamiliar territory to me! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #10

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
I used Kilz to start and then Kitchen and bathroom paint. Was not thinking about the VOC's though.

Benjamin Moore Paint caries a "near zero VOC" and a "zero VOC" paint line. Have not used it, but do like their paint.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #11

Florida
re indoor paint selection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
I used Kilz to start and then Kitchen and bathroom paint. Was not thinking about the VOC's though.

Benjamin Moore Paint caries a "near zero VOC" and a "zero VOC" paint line. Have not used it, but do like their paint.
Thanks so much Island Claire!

Tags
paint, painting