Pairing 14gage AC wire - What gage is the outcome - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #1

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Scamp wired my AC with 14/2 and it is just not heavy enough for me to run the AC on my 2000W Inverter Generator so I would like to pigtail the 1 pair of 15gage wires together to use for the hot lead and run just 1 additional 8,10 or 12 gauge wire for the return.

If I pigtail the 14/2 AC wires together what Gauge wire would I wind up with?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via MSN to James Harper Send a message via Yahoo to James Harper
your inverter wont take the power surge to start the compressoror prob run it.. no matter what size wire you use....I run mine off of 110 ac and only have 14/2 as do most every trailer and motorhome made...

Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Pairing the wires is a bad idea, and if done, it has to be done to both wires.. the return (or neutral) still has to carry the same current as the hot.
If you are going to the trouble, use a new #12awg for feed and return

Joe
Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
Pairing the wires is a bad idea, and if done, it has to be done to both wires.. the return (or neutral) still has to carry the same current as the hot.
If you are going to the trouble, use a new #12awg for feed and return

Joe
Pairing the wires is not advised for many reasons. The big one, is that it is not standard, and if you end up with a fire, your insurance may not cover. Another biggie is that someone can get a very bad shock if they aren't aware of your "change". The neutral does have to be the same size as your hot conductor, because it too carries current. (Just not current that you see.) In the event of a fault or short it can end up carrying as much if not more than your hot line can see. These little trailers are fairly easy to run wire...duct tape is wonderful to place it on the wall in the storage bins. Keep in mind that wire sizing is done to carry or manage the heat generated. Too small a wire, and it heats up and eventually torches.

Pam
Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Keep in mind that wire sizing is done to carry or manage the heat generated. Too small a wire, and it heats up and eventually torches.

Pam
HUH!

Wire size is selected based on anticipated (design) loads and has nothiong to do with heat generated.

If you are having a problem running your Scamp air conditioner (8,000 BTU or less) on 14 ga. solid copper wire there is some wrong other than the A/C. I would suspect the 'inverter/generator' doesn't provide enough power (watts).
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Wire should be sized for load, but it is also well understood that undersized wire can/will heat up and can cause a fire as well as restrict current that can do damage to some motors.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Quote:
HUH!

Wire size is selected based on anticipated (design) loads and has nothiong to do with heat generated.
The anticipated load is generally defined as watts. Watts is power, power is energy, energy produces heat. Smaller wires with larger loads get hot. This is why you don't put extension cords under material, esp. flammable material. In the event of an overload, you generate alot of current, and when there is current and voltage, you get power and alot of it. Have you ever noticed an extension cord to get hot? Get a bigger one. This is a simplified explanation, but if you overload an extension cord, I promise...it will get hot. Hot enough and it catches fire. For a simple calculation, you can take the current rating of the cord, multiply it by 110 and you will get your max. power rating in watts.

yes, it is sized by load...if you are curious I can probably send you a chart for wiring vs. load out of the NEC.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Ontario
Without getting into whether it's a good idea or not, the general rule is that each 3 gauges of wire double the cross-section area or half it in the other direction! #11 is half the cross-section area of #8 or double #14 gauge!
So 2 of #14 gauge wires equate to one #11 wire.
This is in resistance per 100' and in physical cross-section area NOT in current carrying capacity. Current carrying capacity also depends on the ability to dissipate heat.

Mike.....>

Quote:
Scamp wired my AC with 14/2 and it is just not heavy enough for me to run the AC on my 2000W Inverter Generator so I would like to pigtail the 1 pair of 15gage wires together to use for the hot lead and run just 1 additional 8,10 or 12 gauge wire for the return.

If I pigtail the 14/2 AC wires together what Gauge wire would I wind up with?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via MSN to James Harper Send a message via Yahoo to James Harper
Go to the document center....there are the specs for alot of a/c units....the min. generator rating I see is 3.5kw The power drops alot after start up,,,but to get it going you need the full power....your inverter won't do it!!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Wire should be sized for load, but it is also well understood that undersized wire can/will heat up and can cause a fire as well as restrict current that can do damage to some motors.
Bang on Steve!

Undersized wire that is not fused or has a circuit breaker in the circuit can make very good radiant heaters and fire starters.

The best thing is to not abuse the wiring.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote