Paperwork and regulations! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #1

Name: Sally
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Massachusetts
Question Paperwork and regulations!

I hope I have posted this in the correct place, but here goes:

I'm considering purchasing a trailer from the manufacturer in another state (MI). So, to pick it up I need to be able to insure it on the way home, and to have some plates or something for the trip home. When I talk to my insurance company, they act like I'm talking Greek. And forget the RMV - they don't even answer the phone or have a place to ask.

Also, my state (MA) doesn't recognize ANY kind of temporary plates or registration. They do give you 10 days to register once you get home, but I still have to get home.

Oh, and to make this more complex, the trip home requires that I travel through Canada. Who knows what kind of paperwork THAT requires.

Any advice on how to do this?
Sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:55 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
No idea Sally about Canada but as far as California insurance goes you are automaticaly covered for a month on your policy. Gives you a bit of time to get things home before it gets dicy. Someone from Canada will get back to you for their rules.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
To travel through Canada you need proof of ownership (title ),proof of insurance (automobile ), and plates. My brother and I have purchased several vehicles in the states, and we generally try to get a temporary plate from the dealer we are purchasing from,and on occasion have had to beg the. Dealer for insurance as well because many companies won't insure a trailer or vehicle until it is in its home state or province, and fully registered in your name. What you might be able to do, is get all the paperwork emailed or faxed to you before you leave to get the trailer so you have time to register it in your home state

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:05 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Sally, Egg Camper must deal with situations like your's all the time. I would start there with a phone call. I'm going to pick our Scamp up in one week. I'll call my insurance agent this week and give him a heads up, then do the paperwork when we get back. If your insurance agent or company don't know how to handle this, it might be time to do some insurance shopping.

As far as traveling thru Canada, someone else can answer that. Egg Camper might be able to help you with that as well. MI is a border state and dealing with the bureaucrats on both sides is a common occurrence. If it turns out to be another layer of complication you could do without, you could stay in the US and camp your way home. You do have a place to stay after all.

Our trip to Backus, MN to get our Scamp will be about 540 miles. We could do that in one day if we had to, but we're planning to make it a 5 day trip, camping along the way. Many on the forum recommend camping at least once near the factory, trying everything out to make sure you understand the operation, and to get factory help while you're in the area in case something doesn't work. Just a suggestion.

Good luck, take pictures, and keep us posted. Most of all have fun on your big adventure!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we picked up our Casita, I received from Casita ,temporary license plates , a temporary title , a bill of sale , the necessary paperwork so I could title the trailer in my home state .and the VIN # . I called my insurance agent from the Casita factory and gave her the VIN # and the value shown on the bill of sale so I had insurance on the trailer for the trip home from Texas to Wisconsin. The trailer manufacturers have done this so many times that it's second nature to them and will walk you through it
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Massachusetts
Well I guess. . .

Well I guess that would work until I got to MA. As I was told by my insurance agent, MA doesn't recognize any kind of temporary plates or registration.

I pushed him on that, because it seems unreasonable to me that MA wouldn't recognize a temporary registration issued by another state. He hesitated on that, and is supposed to be finding out for me, but I haven't heard back yet.

Things like this are the downside of not having a national system.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
It does sound like your insurance agent needs to be prodded to do what he is paid for. And, as far as MA not recognizing any temporary plates, that would be interference with interstate commerce and I do not think they would like to be known for that. You have the advantage of buying from a manufacturer, therefore he should be the one to help you. If you were not picking it up and they would be delivering it to you, how would they do it?

Also, the trip home would be a short one and chances of being stopped with a temporary license plate should be small. Over a year ago I bought my Scamp used in MD and pulled to VT, and like a real scamp, I had no license plate, but had insurance, as per my agent, and Bill Of Sale. I described my experience in another post. It was a 460 mile trip, no problems. Through Canada, that is more complicated, and you deal with authorities twice. How about the longer way around?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #8

Colorado
The one thing I forgot to say was that I also had a good title signed over and dated, in addition to the Bill of Sale and a card from my insurance agent.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #9

Massachusetts
Ya,...

Ya... I need to light a fire under my insurance agent. But, we aren't ready to make a final decision yet, so. . . .
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Michigan doesn't issue temporary plates or registration.
You will take your certificate of origin from the Manufacturer to your state register, pay your taxes and plate fees. If Mass. requires a weight slip, then you will have to get it weighed.
I'm sure your DMV has a web site that will have the info you need.
The last time I traveled to Mass. from Michigan I think you can still get there by driving through the States.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have done this more times than I can count...
First the Caveats....
I live in IllAnnoy and I have good rapport with my insurance agent and company.

In the case of my new Scamp.. I received Certificate of Origin papers and a receipt. No plate or permit. I called the insurance agent with the VIN and value before the trip.
In the case of every other trailer I have ever bought, I received a Bill of Sale, and an open title. I used these to purchase Title and registration after returning home. Liability is attached to the Tow vehicle.

I have never left the U.S. to retrieve a trailer, and my only MA experience was a sale of a trailer which had my tag on it when I delivered it.
If you are concerned... look on line or ask the MA DMV about what is required in your state.

I once sold a trailer to a couple in PA. They needed registration and title before pickup as they planned a trip of several months further west upon delivery. I sent them the title upon receipt of a deposit. They arrived with their Title and Tag in hand, along with the cash to complete the transaction.
We documented everything for clarity, but every transaction is really only based on a certain amount of trust and good faith.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
The last time I traveled to Mass. from Michigan I think you can still get there by driving through the States.
That's a good one - we still have 48 contiguous states, no more, no less.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I once sold a trailer to a couple in PA. I sent them the title upon receipt of a deposit. They arrived with their Title and Tag in hand, along with the cash to complete the transaction.
We documented everything for clarity, but every transaction is really only based on a certain amount of trust and good faith.
I tried that when I bought my Scamp locally, wanted to get the Title upon payment of deposit so I could transfer it and get plates before going to get the trailer. The seller said he had to dig up the Title and he would hand it over when I came to get the trailer (with the balance of the money). I think he just did not want to fork over the Title until I brought all the money. Thinking about it I probably would not either if I were the seller. But then I know I am honest, don't always know about the other guy.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I tried that when I bought my Scamp locally, wanted to get the Title upon payment of deposit so I could transfer it and get plates before going to get the trailer. The seller said he had to dig up the Title and he would hand it over when I came to get the trailer (with the balance of the money). I think he just did not want to fork over the Title until I brought all the money. Thinking about it I probably would not either if I were the seller. But then I know I am honest, don't always know about the other guy.
It does take a little spiritual discernment sometimes!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I just called my vehicle insurance company (Allstate) and told them I was buying a trailer and camping my way home from Backus to Chicagoland next week. They told me the trailer would be covered by my vehicle insurance for 30 days after the sale. Sometime before that I call them with the make, model, vin#, and cost. No problem.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote