Parking in a tight spot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
I believe somewhere I read about using a winch to pull a egg type trailer back into a tight parking space? Does anyone know of this or give me some idea on how it would work. I only have 5in clearance on each side if I manage to get it in straight. A real pain.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How big is the trailer? In your profile, under your name... it says RV Type: None...

If the trailer is going to be parked on asphalt/concrete or hard packed dirt, I'd recommend a tongue dolly.

I can move my 16' Scamp Deluxe around on asphalt with one.... and I'm not that strong. I can back the trailer through the gate with about 6" on each side, but need to jockey it around a bit once it's unhooked.

An inexpensive, easy solution...

Harbor Freight Trailer Dolly
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you've got a reasonably flat and firm surface this should work pretty good. Because I have a very sharp (90°) right at the end of my driveway I use one to put the trailer away and pull it out so I can hook up.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The one person i remember who winched in their RV was one of our Japanese members. He had to winch it into a tight parking area at his home in Japan. The trailer was a Casita. I would think a small 12 volt winch could do the job if area is flat.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
How's this for tight?
Click image for larger version

Name:	corral___1.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	10566

We have since taken those trees down and added a cover. It's still pretty close getting it in because of the angle of entry. A winch would not have worked in this case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	corralnewedit.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	10567

We used the dolly like in the above posted link for quite a while. It worked fine as long as there were two of us (one as a spotter). Since I camp alone, I wanted to be able to get the trailer in and out by myself (like when hubby is gone) so I got a behemoth of a power mover (12V) on ebay. That sucker is ugly and old, but it's got the weight that I need to be able to stop and hold it in mid-move to make sure my angles are correct.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 05:51 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
A useful alternative is to mount a front hitch ball (It doesn't have to be monster-sturdy). It may also be of aid at a campground someday.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
For you western canadians looking for a towing dolly I found a 600# one at a store called Bianca Amor's "Liquidation Supercentre" for $49.99, which is still a lot more that the Harbor Freight one, but a lot cheaper than the Princess Auto version at $64.99
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 AM   #8

Thanks to all of you who answered my request. I have went out of town for a few days and am now the proud owner of a 1999 17ft. Casita. Do you all think it will work if I mount a 12Volt winch at the back of my parking area and then use one of the harbor freight type dollys to maneuver while pulling the Casita back into a very tight gravel surface spot. I have about a 5 inch clearance on each side. I was not sure if the tow dolly would be strong enough and able to move on the gravel? What power of winch should I get, would a 2500 LB pull be more than enough or would I have to go to a big 7,000 lb one like they mount on the front of jeeps? I really have no experience with this, so all help appreciated.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...;highlite=winch

Look at this. I think the first one is what you are looking for.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Bob,

I've found that a riding lawn mower (if you have one, and depending on the size and the terrain) will also work quite nicely. I have an 18 hp Kubot garden tractor with a hydraulic 3pt hitch right now (oh boy what a difference!), but I have moved many trailers around for years with an 11 hp Honda riding mower.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #11

Quote:
http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...;highlite=winch
Look at this. I think the first one is what you are looking for.
Thanks so much !!!! The winch and dolly, EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!!

Only difference is that I think I will mount the winch on a steel pole cemented in the ground and then hook the cable to the trailer frame, and pull it back that way....
Old 10-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Dolly sources:
I bought mine at Princess Auto, but at a sale price.
Since then, I've seen them Costco, at a very reasonable price.

Riding Lawn Mowers
There's no chance I'm putting my Boler's 300 lb of tongue weight on my lawn tractor. It's a 20 hp John Deere, but it is not intended to take that kind of load. A garden tractor like Roger's is a very different thing, and a small egg with half the tongue weight of mine might be more reasonable even with a lawn tractor.

Having moved a 24' deck flatbed trailer with a small farm tractor, I agree that a tractor can be very maneouverable, and it's great to be able to see exactly what's going on in the hitch area.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:02 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
How about one of these Electric Motorized Dolly?

I used to move my utility trailer and boat trailer using my old-style Gravely mower (two-wheel, 8 hp) with a ball mounted on the sulky.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #14

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I've been forced to use a PowerCaster motorized dolly somewhat like that. The driveway has a couple of inclines which puts traction to the test. The amount and proportion of tongue weight on your trailer will determine just how much traction you will get.

If the driveway is wet I lose some traction to the point that I have to lean into it to get up the incline. If I added 100-200 lbs of weight on the tongue, as in a filled water can, I would have all the traction needed.

If I win the lottery I may install a moving system by Truma or a similar U.S. system. No traction problems whatsoever and you can move the trailer from 25 feet away by using a remote control, and with pinpoint accuracy to boot.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #15

Quote:
If I win the lottery I may install a moving system by Truma or a similar U.S. system.
I assume you mean a Truma Caravan Mover... I think these sound like great systems, but I've never heard of a North American equivalent. Do you have a specific brand in mind, Per?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #16

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Brian: If I recall it correctly, a search for Powerwheel-usa will get you to one. Check the Power-touch item. The main thing is the independent control of each wheel and that the traction is as good as it gets. As in the Truma version you can get real precision control from a remote.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
How about purchasing one of the trailer dollies that mounts to the front tongue "jack" of the trailer. They have a long handle that allows you to move and steer the trailer to where you want it. You'd need to be on a fairly level, hard surface to use this dollie but it's certainly an option. Ron
Old 10-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #18

Thanks, Per
The Powrtouch Trailer Mover from Power Wheel USA is the U.S. version of a European product. I think that this would be a great system to have - too bad the only available model is much larger (and thus heavier and presumably more expensive) than necessary for most of us... it's a lot of money and a significant weight.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #19

I would love to have a POWER HITCH, But $1500.00 plus is a little much to push around a little old Casita. So I just ordered the Harbour Freight 12V ELECTRIC WINCH ( PART # 43331-5vga AND the their TRAILER DOLLY WITH ALL-TERRANIN TIRES. Will report back on this thread after I have it all together and working (I HOPE)......
Old 11-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #20

Quote:
I just ordered the Harbour Freight 12V ELECTRIC WINCH ( PART # 43331-5vga AND the their TRAILER DOLLY WITH ALL-TERRANIN TIRES. Will report back on this thread after I have it all together and working (I HOPE)......
UPDATE: Just used my new 12volt Winch and Trailer Dolly (named in above quote) for the 1st time.
It worked well above my expectations. I was able to back my 17ft. Casita into a gravel space with lesst that 6 inches on each side, by myself. I just pulled it back a few feet then walked to the front and adjusted the direction of the traler dolly. It took a little while but all went well. With two people it will be a dream, and now I don't have to worry about backing into my Gas meter which is very close to where the trailer goes!!!!