ParkLiner hubs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
ParkLiner hubs?

I tried today to get a hub/brake drum off with no luck, but I think it's because I need to adjust the shoes in so the drum slips off. Everything looks real good, and there's a grease fitting in the outside end of the axle.

When we bought the trailer, it came with a number of manuals, but nothing related to the axle, brakes, bearings, seals etc. This makes me very nervous, as we're about to head for NC (long trip).

So, anybody know what kind of axle I have?

How about a part # from someplace for the hub/brake drum?

Same question for bearings and seals. I know the outer one is a 44649, fairly common 1-1/16" shaft bearing. Thjere's an odd washer that acts as a cotter pin over the outer bearing. Where do you get those? Finally, inner bearing and seal numbers anyone?

Again, I assume I just need to get underneath the trailer to back the shoes in to get the hub/brake drum off?

I would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Frank,
You have a 3500# axle. On the backing plate is a rubber plug. If you have a brake spoon or large screwdriver you can back the star wheel off until the drum is loose enough to come off. Your inner bearing is a 68149.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Frank, from what I've heard Parkliner used 3 different axles so far and one in particular is what resulted in the tire rub issue on some of the trailers. Is the "odd washer" the type that sets over the nut and has notches for the cotter pin to go through? I wouldn't think your trailer would have enough miles on it to have worn the drums so that there is a ridge on the edge to catch the shoes.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Frank,
You have a 3500# axle. On the backing plate is a rubber plug. If you have a brake spoon or large screwdriver you can back the star wheel off until the drum is loose enough to come off. Your inner bearing is a 68149.
Chuck
That's what I thought, thanks Chuck.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Frank, from what I've heard Parkliner used 3 different axles so far and one in particular is what resulted in the tire rub issue on some of the trailers. Is the "odd washer" the type that sets over the nut and has notches for the cotter pin to go through? I wouldn't think your trailer would have enough miles on it to have worn the drums so that there is a ridge on the edge to catch the shoes.
Bob, you would not believe how much room there isn't between my tires and the body. Can't squeeze two fingers in. That should be fixed by Memorial Day weekend. I'll shoot a pic of the washer after dinner (currently being served!). Weird.

Thanks,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
There's an odd washer that acts as a cotter pin over the outer bearing.
Frank
Frank,
Does it look anything like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Photo 1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	70622
This is a photo of the wheel nut retaining clip on our Dexter axle. There is no cotter pin. If you have a Dexter, the axle will be stamped Dexter Axle on the rear, center of the cross beam with a with a 9 digit serial number that will tell the Dexter folks all the specs of the axle including who originally ordered it and when. I imagine that number could provide all the necessary information for bearings, grease seals, etc. Of course, if it's not a Dexter, none of the above applies.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Frank,
Does it look anything like this?
Attachment 70622
This is a photo of the wheel nut retaining clip on our Dexter axle. There is no cotter pin. If you have a Dexter, the axle will be stamped Dexter Axle on the rear, center of the cross beam with a with a 9 digit serial number that will tell the Dexter folks all the specs of the axle including who originally ordered it and when. I imagine that number could provide all the necessary information for bearings, grease seals, etc. Of course, if it's not a Dexter, none of the above applies.
I think that's it Brian. It may be tomorrow before I can get back to it. We had some substantial wind damage at our place overnight, which will occupy me at least after work today, plus cost me hundreds of dollars to repair. Just what I didn't need!

Enjoy your day.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Sorry to hear about the wind damage. We had the tops blow out of three massive pines a couple of years ago which just missed our house and garage. I've really got to get the tree guy in here to cut some more down before we have a serious problem. Hope it doesn't affect your travel plans.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Sorry to hear about the wind damage. We had the tops blow out of three massive pines a couple of years ago which just missed our house and garage. I've really got to get the tree guy in here to cut some more down before we have a serious problem. Hope it doesn't affect your travel plans.
Thanks Brian. What happened is the 12X20 garage-in-a-box we bought from Tractor Supply years ago got caught by a gust of wind and in a word, was destroyed. In the process spikes holding it in the ground dragged across the roof of my son's car which was in there. I had a bunch of other stuff in there that needs to stay out of the weather, so basically it means I lose my garage space for my F-150 till we figure out what we want to do. And my son loses cover for his car.

Gonna give it some thought, but it will NOT interfere with heading for NC May17...

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #10

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Oh, man! Sorry to hear Mother Nature's been messing with you. Just glad it's not keeping 006 from heading south in 12 days!
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #11

New York
Boy Tammie, isn't that the truth. No warning either. We're not the only ones on our rural road that got hit either. Maybe a microburst? I just got finished with some clean up, and just got in from doing a few 006 things.

Thanks,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Fortunately the parkliner wasn't in there

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #13

New York
Weird cotter pin washer

Worked on a lot of trailer hubs over the years, never saw one of these:

Not a bad idea at all, just new. Took me a few minutes to clean up so I could see. I figured it out. So now it's a question of where to find new ones.

Got under the back of the trailer towards dusk, took some good flash pics of the center of the axle from the back, kinda thought something was there, but nope. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can find anything on it anywhere, front or back. Whatever this axle is, it should be labeled.

More soon. Evening stuff Wednesday and Thursday, but may even get home in daylight Wednesday. This weekend I think we'll hook 006 to Gail's Escape and take a little test drive someplace.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #14

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Fortunately the parkliner wasn't in there
Egg-sackly! Whew!
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Maybe a phone call to Parkliner can get you a service page for the axle or, at least, the exact axle model for your chassis and you can download something from the axle builders site???

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Maybe a phone call to Parkliner can get you a service page for the axle or, at least, the exact axle model for your chassis and you can download something from the axle builders site???
It would be easier crawling around on my back looking myself Bob. I'll call them and/or email them if that fails. But yes, I'm sure once I i.d. it, I can find a manual. Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #17

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Worked on a lot of trailer hubs over the years, never saw one of these:

Not a bad idea at all, just new. Took me a few minutes to clean up so I could see. I figured it out. So now it's a question of where to find new ones.

Got under the back of the trailer towards dusk, took some good flash pics of the center of the axle from the back, kinda thought something was there, but nope. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can find anything on it anywhere, front or back. Whatever this axle is, it should be labeled.

More soon. Evening stuff Wednesday and Thursday, but may even get home in daylight Wednesday. This weekend I think we'll hook 006 to Gail's Escape and take a little test drive someplace.

Frank
It's a tang washer: Round Trailer Spindle Tang Washer, EZ-Lube - 1" I.D.
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #18

New York
Wind damage

This is what I woke up to yesterday...

No fun. Will inventory busted stuff tonight after work, see if the company will send me replacement stuff at a reasonable cost.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #19

New York
Had good light this morning to look all over the front and back of the axle, nothing that gives me a clue as to what it is. It was hard to see, and I had to get to work, but I think it says 10 X 2-1/4 on the back of the brake assembly. That's very common for trailer brakes and does not help me i.d. the axle.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Frank, how do you remove the nut? do you bend the tabs on that washer?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner