Parkliner - Open Neutral at Air Conditioner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Parkliner - Open Neutral at Air Conditioner

I posted before that my Air Conditioner in new Parkliner doesn't work. I reset the GFCI and it still didn't work. The ac is wedged in and barely moves. It is almost impossible to get to the plug.

Brian M. in NY suggested that if I removed the 2 screws under the ac, it might slide out. I finally got around to it and after removing the screws the ac moved enough to get to the plug.

I plugged the ac directly into extension cord and ac works. Then I plugged it back into outlet and it didn't work. Then I plugged it into the outlet next to the propane detector and it worked.

I then plugged a circuit tester into the "bad" outlet and the tester indicates an open neutral (on both receptacles). From what I read, this means the white wire isn't connected. I don't think there is enough room to get to the back of the outlet.

Some questions:
  • How do I trace the wire?
  • Where is the fuse box and are circuits labeled?
Suggestions
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Gee Huck, I'm not home, but doesn't that dinette seat lift up and give you access there? Seems to me I've looked in there somehow, and there is space behind the AC unit, and access for that plug. If all it is, is the plug, it should be easy to fix. Unplug the shore power and disconnect the battery 1st.

It was finally hot this past weekend and I had the vent fan on with the AC low and it sure was nice in 006!

Best of luck!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Gee Huck, I'm not home, but doesn't that dinette seat lift up and give you access there? Seems to me I've looked in there somehow, and there is space behind the AC unit, and access for that plug.

Frank
You would think so, wouldn't you. If the ac vent screwed on instead of fastened with rivets, it would be a piece of cake.

Couldn't the open be at the other end or the wire?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #4

Name: Joel
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
I think rivets can be drilled out and replaced with screws. You should be able to access both sides of the screen to put the nuts on. I haven't checked the area to see what you may be confronting though.
Joel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #5

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
You would think so, wouldn't you. If the ac vent screwed on instead of fastened with rivets, it would be a piece of cake.

Couldn't the open be at the other end or the wire?
Huck, I'll be home in a couple hours and take a look-see. I could swear I have access to that plug somehow.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Huck, I'll be home in a couple hours and take a look-see. I could swear I have access to that plug somehow.

Frank
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #7

New York
If you can get the Ac unit out (I didn't look at that), this is what I see for access behind. I just lifted up the dinette seat to get this pic.

2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
If you can get the Ac unit out (I didn't look at that), this is what I see for access behind. I just lifted up the dinette seat to get this pic.
I couldn't see how the box was attached. Just not enough room to get your hands in there.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #9

New York
Check your personal messages Huck...

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
[*]Where is the fuse box and are circuits labeled?

Suggestions
Huck I don't know what type of converter you have but it possible that you have fuses inside of it - perhaps one of them is for the outlet in question.

I would start there before messing around with other things.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The switching or fusing of neutral conductors is only allowed by the NEC in limited circumstances . ( IE Gasoline dispensing pumps. Hospital operating rooms) The code also requires that the hot and neutral be simultaneously disconnected .If you have 120 VAC between the line (hot) conductor and the equipment grounding conductor but not between the line (hot) and neutral conductor at the A/C receptacle, you have lost the neutral (grounded identified ) conductor. Unless the A/C was improperly (illegally) wired at the factory ,the problem is not a blown fuse. I would check the neutral connection at both the receptacle and at the neutral buss
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Maybe you can call Parkliner and get them to authorize a local RV company to do the repair. It certainly sounds like a case for "Proof of Merchantability" of a product, otherwise referred to as the "Unwritten Warranty".

They can certainly use the positive press hereabouts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #13

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Maybe you can call Parkliner and get them to authorize a local RV company to do the repair. It certainly sounds like a case for "Proof of Merchantability" of a product, otherwise referred to as the "Unwritten Warranty".

Boy, tell me about it. After months of communication to get ours down for warranty repair next week, I get an email last Friday canceling the visit. Gee, great, a week of vacation time at a condo for nothing. The condo was just to wait while repairs were done, & I can't get out of it at this late date. They tell me they will fix these problems, but later. For me, that means more time & expense (at least a grand). It seems to me that if they kept the folks happy who owned these trailers, they would all be volunteer salespersons!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Huck
(post 8 ?) The electrical box is an old work box. You will have to get access to the front of the box to remove it. But if you get there you can get to the wires anyway.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #15

I don't think that Post #8 is Hucks trailer. Hard telling what his looks like.

And why is Parkliner installing "Old Work" boxes in new trailers anyway?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
by "old work box" think Eddie means the type of box that when installed has ears you flip out and tighten from front of box. Ive used them in my scamp, presume "new box" you would install by driving nails/screws in 2x framing......
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

I think you're referring to the Implied Warranty of Merchantability?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #18

Yep, that's another phrase for the same idea.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #19

Virginia
Good news. I spoke to Tom at Parkliner and he agreed to fix the air conditioner and the leak now and replace the fan and fix the door in July when they are scheduling warranty work.

So I went this morning and they jumped right on it. AC now works and since it is pouring right now, I will know shortly if the leak is fixed.

Aaron had to rewire the GFCI receptacle next to the propane detector and also had to fix the neutral wire at the receptacle used by the air conditioner.

And I also know how to take the air conditioner out. A combination of muscle and finesse! Remove the 2 screws under the front of the air conditioner and remove the piece of wood that holds the ac in place. Then pull and wiggle the ac until you slide it all the way out. Several choice words will likely help.

Parkliner is focusing on getting orders out on schedule, so are blocking out time in July to handle warranty work. If you need warranty work done, I would contact Parkliner and get on the schedule. They agreed to fix the ac and leak now because they were quick fixes and limited my use of the trailer. I am waiting like everyone else for the bigger items.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #20

New York
Quote:
Good news. I spoke to Tom at Parkliner and he agreed to fix the air conditioner and the leak now and replace the fan and fix the door in July when they are scheduling warranty work.

So I went this morning and they jumped right on it. AC now works and since it is pouring right now, I will know shortly if the leak is fixed.

Aaron had to rewire the GFCI receptacle next to the propane detector and also had to fix the neutral wire at the receptacle used by the air conditioner.

And I also know how to take the air conditioner out. A combination of muscle and finesse! Remove the 2 screws under the front of the air conditioner and remove the piece of wood that holds the ac in place. Then pull and wiggle the ac until you slide it all the way out. Several choice words will likely help.
Good for you Huck! That's great. Now if they can just keep the doors open long enough for me to get down there again.

I saw those two screws under the front of the AC unit and figured they would have to come out to remove the thing. I'm good at choice words too!

Used to be once in a while we would get Cameron or Aaron here on the forum. I guess Cameron is gone now, and I wonder if Tom & Chandler have any idea all these ParkLiner problems get addressed on forums for all to see?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner