Parkliner Potty Questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Do your homework before you spend the money. I seriously considered it but the problem is the chamber that the manure accumulates in is not overly large and it takes a certain time period for the manure to compost(and temp).

Being that the chamber is small it can fill up and need to be dumped into a compost pile (not sure if every town allows for this type of composting) or put into a 5 gallon buckets with vent holes in the lid to allow it to complete the composting process, or buy WAG bags that have a chemical powder inside to complete the breaking down process to legally put it in the trash.

The larger home composting units with a big drum can be used daily but the smaller ones are just that...smaller. Composting process is stopped when its cold out...

I would rather dump a porta potty then try to get half composted manure out of the drum into a bag or a 5 gallon bucket.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #22

Name: Mary
Trailer: Parkliner; TV 2012 Nissan Murano
New Jersey
Well I think the porta potty would be best for me. It's also nice that it slides away and makes more room for the shower. The interior height of the Parkliner is its most attractive feature to me, with both sons at 6'2". In the long haul, who knows if they will go with me, but they'll be comfortable if they do. I'm thinking of what I can do without such as AC and a furnace as I don't plan to go places with extreme temps. On the other hand, it's nice to have in case you need it. I'm considering the ice box too, paying $1000 for a 1.9 cu ft fridge doesn't seem worth it. I read about block ice and think I can manage. I've traveled with my kids with just an everyday cooler and we did fine. I plan to try going off grid some of the time. Does the air conditioner run strictly on 120V which means I could not use it off grid? The company web site does not specify this.

Sent from my XT907 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
MaryNJWildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #23

New Jersey
Registry
I like the 3 way fridge, mainly runs on propane since only 1 campground I go to offers some electricity (i run it on 12 volt there ) I think a fridge is a must have item..camped for years without it and love not needing ice.

I use a generator for air conditioning when needed(not once this summer so far lol) Yamaha EF2400iSHC EF2400iSHC | Yamaha Generators | yamahagenerators.com

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #24

New Jersey
This trailer certainly has everything I would need. Lugging around ice might get old esp since I'm not getting any younger.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Choices are always tough, especially if you are buying new...

One of the points I always consider when adding features or, as in your case, picking them, is how they will affect resale value. While certain things are forever, like your first love, (?) first time FGRV ownership isn't always that long lived.

As far as resale, many newbie trailer buyers, of newer model trailers anyway, almost always expect a small trailer to have a 2 or 3 way refrigerator, a furnace, a water heater and a stove or cooktop, as well as A/C. (They also seem to expect a garage, but that's another issue) Anything less will reduce your buyers pool and resale price.

While the refrigerator seems like a big expense, if you are going to use your rig off-line much there's nothing easier to use (and not worry about) than the lp operation of a 2/3 way refrigerator. And finding block ice away from your home sources just isn't always that easy. Cube ice doesn't last as long and, at $2-3 a day for ice, it adds up. In short, you will recover the extra cost of the refrigerator, and you will get to use it for all those years before selling.

Yes the A/C will require 120VAC, a very elaborate and expensive service to provide off-grid, meaning either huge solar/battery/inverter system or a generator, either of which will run another $1200 or so. Most A/C's are used only when hook-up power is available.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi, I have a new Scamp on order. I had the full shower/toilet option put in. I do not want to use it all the time. I plan to take a porta potti with me on short stays, so long as there are vault toilets in the state/USF parks I would dump there. The porta potti is really easy and does not smell at all. I used them for a long time in my cabin when i went up in the winter and did not want to turn the water system on just for a few days. They work well. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #27

New Jersey
All the advice I'm getting here is excellent, thank you! Scamp and Parkliner are really my only options. Scamp is less roomy by appears much less expensive. It's also a much more established business. To get bunk beds in a 16 ft Scamp it looks like the bathroom on the side is very small. I think that's fine since it would really be used only if absolutely necessary. I think I would mostly be camping in state and national parks.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #28

New Jersey
Registry
I pretty much shower in my ParkLiner every time I go camping...I want to wash the bug spray off before bed and the smoke from sitting around a fire all night. I regularly use the porta pottie..add the chemical and dump it and flush it out at the end of the weekend with no odor.

In the winter I use the pink anti freeze in both of its tanks so winter camping is doable...(just no showering lol...don't feel like re-winterizing it every other weekend lol)

Yeah Bob is right.... always in the back of your mind keep resale in mind if your buying new or next to new! I'm sure Harry, the former owner of my ParkLiner never imagined selling it (I don't either but who know's what the future will hold lol).

All the mod's I do I try to keep it reasonable that mostly anyone would like...or tolerate lol...when I added the tile backsplash I picked fairly neutral colours and I could remove it in probably a half an hour and they could have the fur back if that is what they wanted....I prefer being able to wipe it down because I periodically cook( bariatric patient, so I don't normally eat a lot so if alone its easy to bring simple stuff that reheats quick)