Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #197

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I wonder why they weld the axle? Dexter makes a bracket that bolts to the axle and is then welded to the frame. This makes axle replacement much easier. While Dexter warrants the axle they make it clear that if the axle has been welded, it's at the customer’s expense to remove it. Raz

It may be a lack of space to install the frame bracket. If they install the bracket directly under the frame member it would require raising the trailer ride height enough to get the bolts or nuts between the trailer and bracket. They could mount the bracket outboard and retain the ride height, but may run into clearance issues in the wheel well. Offsetting the bracket inboard runs into floor ledger issues. Optionally they could omit the bracket and drill and tap the bottom of the frame member, but then couldn't have access to install a nut on the bolts for safety locking.
Welding really is not a bad solution in real life. The factory welded flange bracket was welded before the rubber dampers were installed. Welding that bracket to the trailer transfers a lot less heat to the dampers due to the few inches of distance away from the dampers, and the large heat sink of the bracket itself. If the welder keeps the welds length to about an inch, and allows cooling time between welds the temperature can be controlled to a safe level. The axle manufacturer can't control the welding method, so simply does not recommend welding.
As to permanency of welding versus bolting, bolting is certainly easier to remove, but as stated in Franck's above post, a 4" whiz wheel cuts them out in a heartbeat. A drawback to bolting would be having to match the bolt layout and spacing when buying a new axle if you wanted a different manufacturer’s product. With welding you have a "clean slate" to work with allowing you to dial in perfect wheel well clearance.
When installing my new Flexiride I did use a bolt on method since I wanted to raise the trailer. I welded a 2x2x1/4" tube about a foot long to the bottom of the trailer frame. Into the tube I drilled bolting holes through the bottom matching the Flexiride bracket. There was room inside the tube to insert the nuts and lock washers for bolting. Flexiride voids warranty for any welding on their axle due to the bonded rubber inside.
The original Scamp Alko axle brackets were welded to the frame similarly to the Parkliner.
Russ

Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #198

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
It may be a lack of space to install the frame bracket. If they install the bracket directly under the frame member it would require raising the trailer ride height enough to get the bolts or nuts between the trailer and bracket.
No, the Dexter brackets are called "side mount hangers" for a reason: they only add the thickness of a plate (less than 1/4") between the frame and the axle's brackets, and the bolts run horizontally through the hangers and the side holes on the axle's brackets.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #199

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
A drawback to bolting would be having to match the bolt layout and spacing when buying a new axle if you wanted a different manufacturer’s product.
In the worst case, with the original axle bolted to side mount hangers, the hangers could just be ground off of the frame - just like removing a directly welded-on axle - leaving the same situation as if the bolt-on brackets were never used.

Likely benefit and no downside... bolt-on seems like an obviously preferable choice to me.

This all has not much to do with the Parkliner tire clearance problem, because changing the position of the axle assembly would require removing the welded side mount hangers (mounting brackets) even if a bolt-on approach had been used.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #200

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Have we ever heard what the specific replacement tire is and did it solve the clearance problem ok ?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #201

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I don't want to wade through all the previous posts, but did anyone mention checking the nominal section width of various 205/14 tires, including brands in both radial and bias ply?
How about tire pressure? (low pressure can increase section width)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #202

Alberta
Tire models do vary from standard specs somewhat. The width in operation also changes with wheel width.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #203

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
The last post regarding this problem was back on May 14. It's now mid-August. Has the quick fix (different tires) worked? Is that the end of it? Or has ParkLiner implemented a better permanent fix (re-designed the wheel well, changed to a new axle with better flex travel, improved location of the original axel, etc.)? We're getting close to making a purchase decision, and we'd prefer not to pay for a new ParkLiner if it still has an old problem.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #204

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Dale. Glad you have joined us.
Hopefully the ParkLiner fellas will be back shortly.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #205

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well Thom posts quite a bit and hasn't mentioned it again, I think the smaller tire size probably has solved the issue. Mine was fine, but it seemed to be an issue with the later models.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #206

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
By "later models", do you mean the ones produced after yours Deryk? That's how it sounds! don't you mean "earlier models" i.e. before yours?

Frankly confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Well Thom posts quite a bit and hasn't mentioned it again, I think the smaller tire size probably has solved the issue. Mine was fine, but it seemed to be an issue with the later models.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #207

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Not to bump deryk, but since I'm here, I'll jump in. From what I gather from reading the full thread, ParkLiner started with FlexiRide axles, and those campers seem fine regardless of tire profile. But then somewhere along the way they switched to Dexter Torflex axles. The combination of the Dexter axle with wide-profile tires (205 series) can cause the tire to rub the sculpted edge of the wheel well - sometimes, anyway. I believe the quick fix was simply changing to a more narrow-profile tire (185 series?). If I'm wrong on the facts or my perception, I'll let ParkLine or deryk clear things up.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #208

New Jersey
Registry
Yes frank, my ParkLiner is 003, so mine is an earlier model then Thom's being 035.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #209

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Well now, that IS interesting!

Thanks Deryk for clarifying that. This getting old stuff isn't for sissies...

Frank
Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #210

New Jersey
Registry
lol no problem frank...I had to read over what I wrote cause I might have been a touch "out of sorts" when I typed it lol

Tags
parkliner