Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #211

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Greetings all,
For my Parkliner #35 with a birthday of April 2013 and stock 14x205 bias ply tires replaced with the 14x185 LTradials... I have sent both Chandler and Cameron of Parkliner an update stating the replacement tires are still causing tire rub on the interior face of wheel wells. On my unit the curb side seems to be showing more wear for whatever reason. The rub patch is only about 2" x 3" or 4" but it is still rubbing. the 185's have maybe 900 or so miles on them?

At this point i've pretty much decided that it is a lost cause unless Chandler really steps up and helps us ~#30 generation owners with a fix...You can even tell him that Thom with PL#35 said so in the forum and is awaiting his return call !! (there i said it)

A word to any wise shopper... PLEASE, PLEASE ask Chandler how he is going to address this issue... The answer is apparently not as simple as swapping out rubber.

...Just sayin'

THAT SAID...as stated elsewhere i still pinch myself when inside the Parkliner! We love the general feel and usability of the design.

Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #212

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Thanks Thom.
I really, really, really appreciate honesty.

How can any of us make an informed decision if we don't know the facts?
And not only that, if there is a problem, that doesn't stop me from buying
some things. But I appreciate knowing what I would have to do to correct
any misgivings in any product after I purchase.

That's why I feel I can say with all due honesty, "I'm never wrong, just misinformed."

Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #213

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
It may be necessary to replace the axle with one that moves the tires outward. Perhaps a Flexiride, since they were working well. Thom, since you're happy with the trailer otherwise, maybe it would be best to simply get the thing fixed locally (before it can cause any damage to the wheel wells) and ask Chandler to cover the repair cost. Whether he agrees or not will tell folks a great deal. And whether he agrees or not, the unit needs to be fixed.

My Lil Hauley has a relatively small spacing between the tires and the fenders. When I expressed concern to Mr. Smoak he said the spacing was sufficient according to the axle specs and if I observed any rubbing he would cover the cost of locally raising the fenders. Happily it's that simple on mine... wish yours were, too. But I think the mfr should have just that kind of responsive attitude.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #214

Name: Linda
Trailer: Chinook
Washington
Changing the tire size will not help with this issue. A new mold would be the best fix.

Changing an axle on a ParkLiner is no easy task. The axle is welded to the frame and the cross members supporting the floor of the PL are welded to the axle. Not to mention the fact that manufacturers of torsion axles clearly recommend that they not be welded directly to a frame as this can do damage to the rubber components in the axle.

Fixing some of these issues is not going to be simple. They are structural problems, not cosmetic.

It will be interesting to find out if anyone has heard about whether or not (and how) the tire rubbing issue has been addressed by ParkLiner. Has anyone tried calling Chandler to ask him about this?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #215

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Above, Thom notes "At this point i've pretty much decided that it is a lost cause unless Chandler really steps up and helps us ~#30 generation owners with a fix...You can even tell him that Thom with PL#35 said so in the forum and is awaiting his return call !! (there i said it)"

So yes, Thom has called and is waiting to hear back. Many of us are waiting to see how he makes out. Certainly, if we order one, it will be a primary topic of early discussion!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaK View Post
It will be interesting to find out if anyone has heard about whether or not (and how) the tire rubbing issue has been addressed by ParkLiner. Has anyone tried calling Chandler to ask him about this?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #216

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Another issue here is wheel & tire size. Seems to me I heard these trailers were originally equipped with 13" tires, and then not long after they went to 14"? From my perspective, if they need to get back at the mold on a tire rub issue, I would like to see them go to a 15" wheel/tire combo. Given the ever increasing diameter of tug wheels & tires (our new one has 18" wheels), it would seem that bigger would be better just in general!

Frank
Old 08-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #217

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Personally, from a non-engineer (read not knowing what i'm doing in a plaque on the wall level of "knowing") I would have a local shop look at the rig and appropriately mount a new axle below the existing one raising the frame a whopping ~1.5" and be done with it.

In my original conversation pre-sale, i asked if the trailer could be lifted, he said basically it would ruin the looks. BUT i'm an off road guy : ) "Looks" to me is a Casita with 15" or larger wheels/tires and humongous open wheel wells with a matching after-market fender well trim as on our van...that's the look i'm after!

Thom
Old 08-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #218

Name: Mark
Trailer: Parkliner
Alabama
My experience with the tire swap has been different, but I would not say a better experience. Due to a variety of issues in communicating with Parkliner, I ended up buying my own replacement tires (to date, I have not received any reinbursement from Parkliner for the tires or the fiberglass damage despite being told it would be sent). I put on Kumho 857's in a 185R14. I have about 250 miles on these and don't think I have any rubbing while on the road. I do see evidence of some rubbing, but I think this occurs when I put the trailer in my storage spot due to the angle of the road/driveway. That said, any amount of rubbing seems bad but THAT said, it does seem minor.

Like Thom, I would like the Parkliner to have more ground clearance. Besides replacing the axle, I also think a wheel well redesign would be in order. I suppose a good fiberglass shop could handle that, but I just don't know how much money I am willing to spend on it.

So long story short, I just don't know what to do.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #219

Alabama
One other note regarding the fact that one side rubs more than the other in Thom's post. I noticed a while back that my axle is not mounted straight. The curbside is further forward by about 1/2". I would imagine it is the front side of Thom's wheel well that is rubbing more if he has the same issue. There may be a reason for this, but I don't know what it would be. It could be that the axle mounting is the real reason for the tire rub...if they were on straight maybe there wouldn't be a problem? A half-inch is fairly significant given the tight tolerances of the wheel well.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #220

Astoria Oregon
Registry
i realize this next bit is not to scientific

I can fit my thumb between the street side tread and wheel well, but can only fit my pinky (thickness) between tread and well on curbside... so there is a difference.

With the 205's i couldn't even fit my pinky in there!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #221

Alabama
I measured from the rear of the frame to the edge of the bracket for the axle. I thought it might just be a difference in the fiberglass in the wells, but no, it is actually that the axle is on at an angle.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #222

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
I measured from the rear of the frame to the edge of the bracket for the axle. I thought it might just be a difference in the fiberglass in the wells, but no, it is actually that the axle is on at an angle.
Mark,
Since you are saying the axle is mounted in such a way that it's not square, then we can say it is running out of alignment ? If so, and since this is welded in place, I am wondering if a good course of action would be to have a trailer repair shop look at it, and possibly they can put in on their alignment rack and tweak it into a straight position ?
I will admit here I am just thinking out loud and trying to visualize all this just from your words. If it could be corrected that way, that might be a fairly inexpensive and final fix to the situation.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #223

Alabama
I had the same thought. Then I looked closer...

If it were not welded on, that would probably work. Actually, if it were JUST welded on that would probably work. Besides just welding it on, they cut out a section of the front-to-back frame rail in order to fit the axle to the frame.

They would have to cut off the axle at all points, and that would leave tunnel shaped cut-outs on each front-to-back frame rail. If I were going to that expense, would have them repair the frame rails, and then attach the axle properly to the frame without welding.

I have no idea how much all of that might cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Mark,
Since you are saying the axle is mounted in such a way that it's not square, then we can say it is running out of alignment ? If so, and since this is welded in place, I am wondering if a good course of action would be to have a trailer repair shop look at it, and possibly they can put in on their alignment rack and tweak it into a straight position ?
I will admit here I am just thinking out loud and trying to visualize all this just from your words. If it could be corrected that way, that might be a fairly inexpensive and final fix to the situation.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #224

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
I noticed a while back that my axle is not mounted straight. The curbside is further forward by about 1/2"...
A half-inch is fairly significant given the tight tolerances of the wheel well.
Quote:
I would consider this a problem, even if neither of the tires rubbed at any time. Half an inch is significant to a tightly fitted wheel well, but it is also significant to axle alignment. Building a trailer, I doubt anyone I know would tolerate 1/8", let alone 1/2".

Maybe there's some sort of intentional plan to this which Chandler can explain.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner