Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #301

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
In addition to GPJ's post and #297 above, here is 8-22 update for further reading if interested.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post412876

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I guess not everyone is reading these threads. Cameron said "As for the customers, the warranty process went as follows: Send in your pictures. Take your ParkLiner to the nearest tire shop. We will ship them the correct tires, and then cover the costs."

So to my mind, the issue is resolved.

All my best to you.

Frank
Well... it would be great if that tire swap had resolved the issue...but it has not on at least one PL (my PL#35). And i doubt it has resolved the issue on any of the same generation rigs to the point of no-rub. Looking at how close the clearance is i just don't see it as the final solution. Something more needs to take place such as an axle swap or ??

Thom
Signed;
A happy PL owner that knows there are still issues to be worked out.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #302

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Jared; nice work there. I've got an old Timken bench top milling machine, haven't used it since I bought it, got it along with an old Atlas lathe.
I would love to have one. My drill press gets me by, with some care.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #303

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
looks like someone is building a steam powered bike?
Gas. That's the tank, I made it from a brass 105mm howitzer shell.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #304

Name: Jane
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
I was at Parkliner in August and ordered one. Since I live on a dirt road the tire rubbing is quite an issue for me, so I asked Cameron what they are doing. They are staying with the 13" tire and as of last week, are changing the mold. I hope this will take care of the issue.

I'm new to this site, plus I'm new to any site like this....so since I don't know how to start a new link I'll ask my question here. I have a 2012 Rav4 to pull it. The tow bar Toyota put on is way to low and it will need an extender to miss the bumper too, it looks like. Deryk, I see you have a 2012 Rav4, and maybe others know the answer - any suggestions for the tow bar? Thanks! Jane
jayteehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #305

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Jane, where we have a bunch of Parkliner owners ready to answer your questions. I'm sure one of them will know the height of the ball for the Pakliner. Meanwhile check out this site for draw bars Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924
Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #306

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Woohooo Jane, to FiberglassRV, we're glad youre here
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #307

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Hi Jane, and Welcome! I wish you many new wonderful adventures with your ParkLiner!

I have a 2008 Rav4 and they do squat. I tried air bags but not thrilled with them so I got a weight distribution hitch and Im happy enough with it. She sits just about at regular height when towing. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ndy-57523.html

We are limited to 350lb tongue weight Did you go with the 1 propane tank or 2? Are they mounting you battery(batteries) on the tongue? I was told thats what they were doing for battery venting. Im curious what the new tongue weight is going to be.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #308

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteehike View Post
.....the tire rubbing is quite an issue for me, so I asked Cameron what they are doing. They are staying with the 13" tire and as of last week, are changing the mold. I hope this will take care of the issue.
Welcome to the site, and congrats on your trailer order. Lots of fun times ahead.

Glad to hear about the mould changes, in my mind it was the only proper remedy to the situation, and hopefully it works good, and Parkliner has good success.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #309

Name: Mark
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayteehike View Post
I was at Parkliner in August and ordered one. Since I live on a dirt road the tire rubbing is quite an issue for me, so I asked Cameron what they are doing. They are staying with the 13" tire and as of last week, are changing the mold. I hope this will take care of the issue.
I didn't know that PL had gone to a 13" tire. Interesting news for us PL owners who were given replacement 14's and STILL have rubbing issues!
Birmingham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #310

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1 View Post
I didn't know that PL had gone to a 13" tire. Interesting news for us PL owners who were given replacement 14's and STILL have rubbing issues!
You & Me both! Now that the "Season" has come to a close (except for the October PNW NOG) i am going to be contacting PL&Crew with all the updated pictures of the tire rub issue on our #35. Both the Dexter dealers/repair centers stated that bolting a new Dexter directly below the existing axle/tube would be the easiest solution/fix. Going down to a smaller tire would be a drag IMO. I'd put 15's on there if i could (OK 17's to match our van's : )

Thom
Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #311

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
You & Me both! Now that the "Season" has come to a close (except for the October PNW NOG) i am going to be contacting PL&Crew with all the updated pictures of the tire rub issue on our #35. Both the Dexter dealers/repair centers stated that bolting a new Dexter directly below the existing axle/tube would be the easiest solution/fix. Going down to a smaller tire would be a drag IMO. I'd put 15's on there if i could (OK 17's to match our van's : )

Thom
Are they saying to leave the existing cross tube in place and just cut off the ends of the axles? That would add some additional ground clearance which I would like too. Any idea how much additional clearance that might add? 4" maybe?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #312

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Are they saying to leave the existing cross tube in place and just cut off the ends of the axles?..
They stated that the ends/arms are removed easily. Then bolt the new axle under the remaining/original tube/frame. They didn't actually state any particular ground clearance in inches, but looked at it, thought for less than a minute and said mater-of-factually that it would certainly eliminate any tire rub issues! : )
Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #313

Alabama
Quote:
They stated that the ends/arms are removed easily. Then bolt the new axle under the remaining/original tube/frame. They didn't actually state any particular ground clearance in inches, but looked at it, thought for less than a minute and said mater-of-factually that it would certainly eliminate any tire rub issues! : )
I like the sound of all that. Did they give you any ballpark costs?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #314

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I like the sound of all that. Did they give you any ballpark costs?
Didn't get to that point. Though i read in another's post that the axle itself is ~$150-200??

I would think the cost for PL would be a toss up between 3 x 13" wheels + 3 x 13" tires verses a dexter-bolt-on solution and labor to mount...?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #315

Alabama
Quote:
Didn't get to that point. Though i read in another's post that the axle itself is ~$150-200??

I would think the cost for PL would be a toss up between 3 x 13" wheels + 3 x 13" tires verses a dexter-bolt-on solution and labor to mount...?
I have had zero luck in getting PL to respond. I'm not at all happy about that.

I will try to find a local Dexter dealer and see if they are willing to do the same modification. If so, this certainly does seem like the way to go.

Also, I have contacted a couple of places that may be wiling to do a fiberglass mod. Of course, they haven't seen the trailer in person, so that's the next step. By using the method you found for the axle and a fiberglass mod, I do think you could easily get to 15" tires.

I'm so glad you posted this! I have been very concerned about how I was going to proceed...I really hope this works out for both of us.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #316

Name: Sheila
Trailer: Casita Spirit 17' Deluxe
Michigan
Is PL out of business?

I have been trying to contact them for weeks!!! I'm a patient person but this is stupid!
sheilasabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #317

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Call them, they have an 800 number. Or maybe sending an email from THEIR website? Contact Us AND, they have a Facebook page. Use the power of Social media to get a response?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #318

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
ParkLiner should do the right thing as Oliver did when they discovered an issue in ALL the original 17 footers sold with a 3500 pound Axle. They simply recalled every unit, replaced the axles with 5200 pound ratings and outfitted everyone with 3 new upgraded 15" wheels and tires. The new wheels were 6 bolt pattern to accommodate the larger brakes that were on the larger axles. I'm sure this cost Oliver a ton of money and fixing the tire rubbing issues with Parkliner would too, but ParkLiner should man up and do whatever it takes to make their existing units safe and problem free and most of all, their customers HAPPY. THEN they can work on the solution to keep future units from having the same problems.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #319

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Final solution (hopefully)!

Quote:
I have had zero luck in getting PL to respond. I'm not at all happy about that.

Also, I have contacted a couple of places that may be wiling to do a fiberglass mod. Of course, they haven't seen the trailer in person, so that's the next step. By using the method you found for the axle and a fiberglass mod, I do think you could easily get to 15" tires.

I'm so glad you posted this! I have been very concerned about how I was going to proceed...I really hope this works out for both of us.
After many months of no response from ParkLiner, I finally got fed up. I even sent a certified, return receipt requested letter on Aug 19, enumerating my various problems. These include the tire rub issue, battery box issue, and the fact that the door won't latch unless you pick up on the side of the door opposite the hinges when closing the door. Believe it or not, once the door is latched and locked, unless the (optional) deadbolt is engaged, you can wiggle the door and it will readily pop open. My letter was signed for on Aug 22 by "Chris Finlan". To date, I have received no response.

Feeling that I had no other options and apparently no warranty either, I dropped my ParkLiner off to my local body shop (great reputation) last week to have the wheel wells re-sculpted. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Greensboro, NC.

The shop called last night to let me know that my PL will be ready to pick up on Monday and I'll post before and after photos as soon as I can. We love our ParkLiner but we have completely lost our faith in the company and with Mr. Palethorpe.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #320

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
After many months of no response from ParkLiner, I finally got fed up. I even sent a certified, return receipt requested letter on Aug 19, enumerating my various problems. These include the tire rub issue, battery box issue, and the fact that the door won't latch unless you pick up on the side of the door opposite the hinges when closing the door. Believe it or not, once the door is latched and locked, unless the (optional) deadbolt is engaged, you can wiggle the door and it will readily pop open. My letter was signed for on Aug 22 by "Chris Finlan". To date, I have received no response.

Feeling that I had no other options and apparently no warranty either, I dropped my ParkLiner off to my local body shop (great reputation) last week to have the wheel wells re-sculpted. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Greensboro, NC.

The shop called last night to let me know that my PL will be ready to pick up on Monday and I'll post before and after photos as soon as I can. We love our ParkLiner but we have completely lost our faith in the company and with Mr. Palethorpe.
My door has the same issue. I don't use the lock on the handle as it's worthless. The deadbolt, which is an option I did get, does seem to keep the door secure. I think the only proper way to fix the door would be to use a completely different set of hinges that didn't have any flex to them. Since the deadbolt is a sufficient backup, that fix is lower on my list.

I also plan to file a complaint with the BBB. I still don't have resolution on the tires themselves, but that is another matter.

You can also file a complaint with the NC Consumer Protection office. They probably actually have more teeth than the BBB, as they would have authority to do take some actions whereas the BBB can only assist in resolving complaints. A quick Google search will turn up their webpage.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your new wheel wells! I had some concerns with resculpting since it appears the arch of the wells might be a key part of the support of the trailer. Ideally though, I would have liked to push it all "out" and end up with more of a fender flare.

Thom, you are so good at blazing the trail for the rest of us! I respect your opinions and I always look forward to your posts.

Tags
parkliner