Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 20 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #381

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
I know from posts that #'s 34(Brian's), 35(mine), and ?36or37?(Mark's) are welded to the frame. Though i've posted that the Dexter dealers/service centers in my area stated it wouldn't be much of a bother to bolt on a new Dexter axle directly under the existing Dexter cross tube and get clearance that way. All Chandler really needs to do at this point to get ours fixed and have clearance is to drop ship/pay for a new Dexter axle and pay for installation. Problem and complaints go away!

Thom

My guess is that the shoe string isn't long enough.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #382
DJO

Name: DJO
Trailer: Parkliner #40 something
Colorado
Registry
Man Brian, that fix looks good. What a relief that there is a solution. We really like our Parkliner but I am disappointed. Raising the axle sounds hopeful Thom.
DJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #383

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Question

DJO, aren't new PLs going another way? 13" rim size? or New Mold?
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #384

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Parkliner if I were in the market. It is not like there are any technically challenging issues involved here. The axle needs to be repositioned slightly and the battery vented, which I suspect Chandler is implementing right now.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #385

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaK View Post
...There are obviously plenty of positives and perhaps it would be good to hear about those from the owners themselves.
For Cari & I with our PL#35 we have the following "Ongoing" issue;
1)Tire Rub. This can be easily fixed:
  • a) Smaller wheel/tire size (as stated by new info from factory)
  • b) Increase clearance in wheel well by modifying fiberglass (As Brian has done and is in the works for new-PL-mold at factory)]
  • c) Some form of axle swap
Just saying...I still believe Chandler/PL can make good on this "fix".

So now the positives;
1) The Parkliner 15 is an excellent fit for us... This is because we use our Van Conversion as our Bed & Bath... And the Parkliner as an entertainment area, galley, and shower. In addition, for us, with all the RV show visits and looking in dozens of RV designs over the years, The PL for its size (12ft wall to wall) has the most spacious feeling & functional layout we've been inside.

2) Jalousie Windows all around. (A MUST HAVE for Cari & I with no exceptions. Trailers without them don't even get a second look.)

3) Custom locations of water fill & Fresh water tank

4) Fully self contained for extended off-grid camping

5) No on-board Propane

6) Ability to address waste in addition to standard methods

7) Anti-Trolley roof area is great for placement of vents and solar panels

8) Above shoulder level storage cabinets covering curb, street, & rear walls

9) It's Fiberglass . . . i could list more but you get the idea. And the above is not stated in any way as "Blind Loyalty" or even Brand Loyalty... The Parkliner just fits our needs. Plain and simple.

: ) Thom
Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #386
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Moderator's note: A number of off-topic posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep the discussion focused on the tire-rubbing issue being experienced by owners of some of the Parkliner trailers. Other issues with this manufacturer can be addressed in different thread(s), if needed.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #387

Name: Jane
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
I have received email replies from Cameron this week. On the tire rubbing, he said they are changing the mold to make room. I didn't think to ask if they were staying with the 13" tire or going back to the 14".

I wonder why he answers some emails and not others.....my camper is suppose to be ready in December.

Jane
jayteehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #388

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE the question about the converter, I don't know what converter Parkliner uses or how old the one in question happens to be, but I doubt if Parkliner would have any parts for it anyway, much less know how to repair one. That's just a sourced item anyway; I'd go to the converter mfg if it's still in warranty.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #389

Name: Jane
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
OOOps this isn't tire rubbing and shouldn't go here. Sorry...how do I move it to another place?

Jane

Moderator's note - several of the tangential topics have been moved out of this thread. Hopefully this makes all subjects easier to search, view, and discuss.

New topics are:

Propane - one tank or two? (General Chat)
Question about RAV4 set up to tow ParkLiner (Towing, Hitches, Axles and Running Gear)
jayteehike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #390

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

I wanted to chime in here to share the latest on our PL#35.

Chandler is having me contact a local marine-boat repair shop (fortunately we live in a boating community on the Oregon coast so that will be a non-issue) to do the repair on the wheel wells. Chandler stated his fiberglass technician would then contact the marine shop directly and give instructions for the fix/repair that any qualified fiberglass tech could complete. PL would be in direct contact with shop for all billing/etc.

I am thankful that Chandler has taken steps to help out and find a solution.

Thom
Old 10-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #391

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Smart business move because on several sites people are talking about their "experience" with ParkLiner and Im sure it can cut into potential sales since the majority of his sales are word of mouth and the internet

But glad he is doing the right thing.... now he needs to get a fix out for the battery venting issue.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #392

Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
.... now he needs to get a fix out for the battery venting issue.

Off topic, but a reply to your comment:

: ) He is. The second part of the email Chandler sent tonight was the battery box fix. He has a "Kit" that any automotive or trailer repair shop can install to place the existing _bench_ batteries at the tongue.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #393

New Jersey
Registry
Sounds interesting... wonder how much tongue weight is going to be added for 2 of those bad boy batteries up front along with 2 propane tanks.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #394

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post

Off topic, but a reply to your comment:

: ) He is. The second part of the email Chandler sent tonight was the battery box fix. He has a "Kit" that any automotive or trailer repair shop can install to place the existing _bench_ batteries at the tongue.
This is a photo posted on this site showing a Parkliner for sale with the batteries on the tongue.

It appears to me from the photo that the batteries are not in a box but rather are exposed to the road dirt and weather. I wonder if this is the fix being proposed by Parkliner. If it was my trailer, I think that I would rather have my batteries enclosed in a protective case.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #395

Astoria Oregon
Registry
I noticed that also Dave and i agree with your observation. Here in the PNW i would never think of having batteries exposed to the elements. One good pour like we had last weekend (~6" in two days) and the battery system would be toast.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #396

New Jersey
Registry
Also what is the tongue weight going to be? I was at around 290lbs with dry water tanksand 2 full propane tanks...Im sure it lightens up some when Im going away for the weekend... but I come home with dry water tanks. Im not feeling comfortable with adding 87 pounds to my tongue since I have a 350lb tongue limit(400 per the hitch while using a wdh...I prefer not maxing it out lol).

Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #397

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Are you guys saying rain water on them will conduct across the posts and that is dangerous or and you talking about them being exposed and the cold weather will do them in faster? I Don't know anything about batteries or DC current is the reason for me asking. Thanks.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #398

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Having exposed battery terminals adjacent to propane tanks does not appeal to me from a safety standpoint and it appears if you put the batteries in a case they would not fit
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #399

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
You could at least get some plastic or rubber terminal covers to mitigate the inadvertent short circuit risk.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #400

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Ken,
The rainwater isn't so much the culprit, its the dust and road dirt, coupled with the moisture, which can create stray current paths between the posts and also to the frame. Besides becoming a "current vampire" slowly sucking the juice from the battery, it also invites corrosion of the battery posts and cable terminals.

I also agree with Steve that I'm not keen on the prospects of having the exposed battery posts in such close proximity to the metal propane tanks. For example, if you were to have a wrench on the positive battery cable, and were attempting to loosen it for removal, what would happen to your wrench if you should simultaneously touch it to the metal propane tank, (which is grounded to the frame simply by being in contact with it?) Your wrench is now an instant welding rod, and God forbid you should burn an electric arc induced hole into your propane tank, KER BOOM!
Not a well conceived design in my opinion.
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner