Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 21 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #401

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It appears from the photo that if you moved the propane tanks forward you would have room to put the batteries in a case and no longer need to cut the back out of the propane tank cover, but then it also appears that you could no longer have room to turn the handle on the front jack

Oh well! Back to the Drawing Board
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #402

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
At first glance that scenario is really scary - but is the photo shown only a suggested solution or is that actually on a trailer being sold? Who determines safety issues on all these trailers (PK or any other brand)? Are there permits or inspections? Any group like Underwriters Laboratories? This is a bigger question than just PK and batteries. Is it up to us consumers to know all about this (I have ordered a Snoozy and am wondering about any possible safety issues there)? Presumably, the owner (Chandler) is experienced and wants to put out a safe and good product.

Moderator's note: the following posts that address Melanie's question about safety inspection/requirements are being moved out of this thread to Who vets the safety issues on these little campers?
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #403

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
In prior postings I remember hearing other brands have the batteries up front or on the backside... can owners post some photo's of their setup?

Im still leaning towards venting my 2 batteries from their present location under the rear dinette just because of the increase in tongue weight. I currently travel with my 90+ pound generator in the entry way and thats why my tongue weight is close to 290lbs with 2 full propane tanks and a full 7 gallon water jug in the bathroom, plus a gallon or so of water in the porta potty. I would prefer not driving with the generator in my Rav4...I guess the extra 7 gallons of water could stay in my tv...I just dont know how I feel about it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #404

Name: Kris
Trailer: Previous 2012 Park Liner, New Parkliner Ordered
Alabama
I have the trailer for sale. I took the camper to Parkliner in Gibsonville, NC for the battery repair. Chandler and his technician did the repairs. I did not do them myself. He told me that this was how they were mounting the batteries on all of the new models and that it is a common mount in these types of trailers. I am completely honest and transparent about any issues with the camper (hence the ad). I love the camper and do not even want to sell it. I lost my job, sold my house, and finally selling my camper. I think anyone buying any type of camper should be prepared for maintenance issues along the way. It just goes with the camper life...
Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #405

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I can see a couple of changes that would make this whole battery thing be ok. One is to make a fiberglass or plastic cover to cover both the batteries and propane tanks like Bigfoot does. You wouldn't need the standard propane cover. The other get rid of metal battery hold down straps and go with a plastic type of hold down or composition of some sort. Most automobiles have a clamp at lower lip of the battery.

As for worry about contacting the propane tank with a wrench when removing a battery a simple non-conductive shield would protect that.

The cut away off the shelf propane tank cover looks like a band aide and an engineered solution.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #406

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
A non-conductive shield would be good, provided that people think about using one before they apply the wrench to it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #407

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree a buyer should be doing their own homework as used ones start to come up for sale. There is also the Door Hinge issue that Mark and Brian have pointed out. Link

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post419657
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #408

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
A non-conductive shield would be good, provided that people think about using one before they apply the wrench to it.
I was talking about one mounted by the factory, it only has to be above the batteries by a few inches.

Also the general rule is to remove the negative connection first.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #409

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I agree with removing the negative first. That being said, you are preaching to the choir. My concern is aimed more towards those who may be a tad more "electrically challenged" out there.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #410

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
I enjoy seeing light at the end of a tunnel, especially when that light appears to be getting bigger rather than smaller. I received email today from Chandler in response to an email I sent him last night in which he stated, "Park Liner will pay for the repairs to the wheel wells on your trailer." There was some other conversation not germane to this particular thread but I am encouraged.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #411

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Good for Chandler.
That is good news.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #412

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Great news, Brian.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #413

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The Light at the End of the Tunnel?

At Disneyland, from the opening day on, there has been (what was called a "B" ticket) ride called "Mr. Toads Wild Ride" At the very end, the rider is taken down a long dark tunnel and a small light appears at the end of the tunnel (Sound Familiar) but as you keep going down the tunnel the light gets bigger and bigger and eventually becomes a Locomotive that passes directly over you. So much for "The Light at the End of the Tunnel".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #414

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
...I received email today from Chandler...I am encouraged.
can't decide which one i like the most...

: )
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #415

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
In prior postings I remember hearing other brands have the batteries up front or on the backside... can owners post some photo's of their setup?
Scamp has been putting there batteries the same way on the front in a box for years. Between the trailer and the propane tank. Lots of photos on the Scamp website of the set up. Most Bolers are also on the front. Most of the Trilliums I have seen are also on the front. I have seen some of the 15' & 17' Escapes with the battery on the front same as Scamp does but also have seen some mounted on the rear bumper - seems to be when two batteries are being run.... may be wrong on that ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #416

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Escape 17B battery box on rear bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
battery box.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #417

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Nice setup Glenn, that might be the ticket for many looking at moving their batteries outside. Would also make wiring a bit more straight forward since the battery bay is already rear-streetside berth area.

Thx,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #418

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Rear battery set up on the Escape 17' requires a frame modification, that space is not normally there.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #419

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
In regard to the extended frame on the Escapes, it might be more accurate to call it a factory option rather than a modification.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #420

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Would moving the battery back 3 feet further behind the axle increase sway?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner