Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 22 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #421

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
In regard to the extended frame on the Escapes, it might be more accurate to call it a factory option rather than a modification.

Everything installed during manufacture is factory option or factory standard. In this case there is an alteration or modification of the frame during manufacture:
Dual 6V Batteries (must be ordered early as frame is altered)
Some items can be added by the factory after production, this is not one of them.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #422

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
The Escape 17 is battery is placed on the rear bumper (there is a platform welded to the bumper assembly) and the the weight distribution in the trailer is such that this does not cause a sway problem. It is not an option; it is just the way Escape 17s are set up. I attached a different view of the set-up on our previously owned 2009 Escape 17.
Attached Thumbnails
battery on Es17.jpg  
LindaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #423

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Would moving the battery back 3 feet further behind the axle increase sway?
Yes it will decrease the speed at which sway will occur. Will it be enough to be noticeable, probably not.

Basic rules for sway.
Sway will occur at some speed.
The greater the percentage of weight and the further behind the axle the weight the lower the sway speed.

I doubt that a 35 to 40lb battery is going to make much difference, however if you carry a couple bicycles and storage box back there it could lower the sway enough to make a difference.

Just be careful on the percentage of weight you put behind the axle and how far you put it behind the axle.

There's a video clip that demonstrates this clearly, it's been on here several times. Sorry, I couldn't find it at moment.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #424

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I've already got s storage box back there with a few light things but I have 2 batteries that are about 45 lbs each...I'm kinda iffy about that idea. I noticed a difference when I added my 18lb rocket stove back there. I think Thom's idea of venting it where it is would be the simplest route.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #425

Registry
I found the sway clip.

Bailey of Bristol - Caravan Stability Studies
Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #426

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Would moving the battery back 3 feet further behind the axle increase sway?
Even with a pair of 6V batteries on the rear bumper of my Escape 17, I still have to fight to keep the tongue weight under 350 lbs with the trailer loaded to 3025 lbs. No sway problems.

Obviously, it depends on the design and balance of the trailer, but it works for the Escape 17.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #427

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Perhaps someone who knows more about physics, math and engineering could address the issue of axle placement and how that might affect load weight, sway, etc.
I have attached a photo of a 17ft. Escape and a Parkliner, same views. There is a difference when you see where the axle is (relatively speaking, since they are different lengths). I would guess that there are plenty of other factors that play in, but I think this must affect things like loads on the tongue and bumper area.
Attached Thumbnails
Parkline1.JPG   escape side view axle difference.jpg  

LindaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #428

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaK View Post
Perhaps someone who knows more about physics, math and engineering could address the issue of axle placement and how that might affect load weight, sway, etc.
I have attached a photo of a 17ft. Escape and a Parkliner, same views. There is a difference when you see where the axle is (relatively speaking, since they are different lengths). I would guess that there are plenty of other factors that play in, but I think this must affect things like loads on the tongue and bumper area.
As I believe I stated earlier the more weight behind the trailer wheels the lower the speed at which the trailer will go into sway. Take a look at 18 wheelers. There's one big difference the tow vehicle is made to tow and that's all. So it has a rear suspension and dual axles with 4 sets of dual wheels to take a lot of the trailer load.
Recreation towing doesn't have that, so the axle is set farther forward to reduce the tongue weight as compared to an 18 wheeler. If the axle is moved too far forward there's too much weight behind the axle. In your pictures I would say the Escape would behave better than the ParkLiner. However if the ParkLiner was loaded properly by the user there might not be any difference.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #429

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Today while driving on the freeway I spied a heavy open utility trailer swaying violently. It looked to be cutting a 12" wide path! I wondered how it was affecting the tow vehicle, so I changed lanes and pulled forward enough to check it out. The vehicle turned out to be a Chevy Avalanche. That truck was not affected in the least by the trailer! It did have very low profile tires with large diameter wheels. The trailer was commercially made and appeared to have proper axle location, but the users had loaded the heavier items in the rear. Trailer designers can't control how their trailers are loaded. Ideally every trailer user should have a basic understanding of the effects of load shifting. Shifting weight forward usually helps with the sway, but you can't exceed rated tongue weight for the tow vehicle while achieving that balance.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #430

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Rule of thumb for loading any trailer:

Put 60% of the weight of your load in front of the axle and you'll dramatically reduce any chance of fishtailing.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #431

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My rule of thumb is keep weight off the ends and concentrate weight over the trailer axle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #432

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaK View Post
Perhaps someone who knows more about physics, math and engineering could address the issue of axle placement and how that might affect load weight, sway, etc. ..
Where is Brian when you need him?

I will give it a try. This explanation is for single axle trailers. Dual axles are a bit more complicated to explain. The change in hitch weight due to placing any weight on your trailer can be estimated as follows:

1) Weight placed in front of the axle will increase your hitch weight. The amount of increase to your hitch weight can be estimated by taking the weight of the item you are adding, multiply by the distance between the added weight and the axle, and then divide by the distance from the hitch to the axle.
2) Weight placed behind the axle will decrease your hitch weight. The amount of decrease to your hitch weight can be estimated by taking the weight of the item you are adding, multiply by the distance between the added weight and the axle, and then divide by the distance from the hitch to the axle.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #433

Name: Betty Lou
Trailer: Ready to purchase.
Delaware
Truly makes me sad to read such posts regarding Parkliners. We recently made the 7 hr trek down to N.C. to see a Parkliner. As others have mentioned they are not quick when it comes to returning phone calls or replying to emails. It took us a couple of weeks to arrange a visit. It was our hope to visit on a Sat during business hours unfortunately we were told they would not be avail on Sat so it required us to use a vaca day and leave early on Fri morning to get there prior to closing. I will say that Cameron (don't know where Chandler was) truly was wonderful. He answered our questions and was very laid back which made for a very delightful experience as we picked out our options and made our deposit. We mentioned what we have read about tire rub problem and battery needing to be in a vented box. Cameron informed us that they are no longer welding axle and changing location of battery. We were told delivery date would be in time for Thanksgiving... We plan on picking it up ourselves and camp somewhere on route home. No exageration I am burning the 'midnite oil' trying to find out what PL owners or in our case, soon to be PL owners have experienced thus far. Cameron did tell us we could get our deposit back for any reason. Come to think of it we were never given a receipt for our deposit nor a copy of the paper work we did regarding options. Again, we can not say enough good things about Cameron. He was wonderful to talk with and clearly is passionate about PLs. He also spoke very highly about Chandler. They are a small company and are still needing to work out the kinks. I will say though that my concerns now are less about returned ph calls and PL's need to improve in the area of customer service and more about the safety concerns others have shared pertaining to axle/ tire rub and battery overheating. Curious that when I mentioned to Cameron about tire rub and asked if we had an option to have axle raised his response was that they no longer are welding axle but that it could easily be raised after market if we wanted to. We really enjoyed seeing the PL that we toured which was one that was brought in for some updates. I hope and pray that PL can work out the known challenges they have b/c the Parkliner really is a great design... Certainly NOT saying that the other companies are inferior b/c they certainly are not ... We just happen to like the design and layout of the Parkliner. BL and Bev (two sisters)
BL Chiffons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #434

New Jersey
Registry
Betty Lou, I wish you 2 alot of luck and Happy Adventures!

I love the design and layout of my ParkLiner...that part fulfils my needs. The customer service and the fact that they do not return my multitude of calls and emails over the last 5 months since Mimi first posted about her batteries discharging while they were sleeping.

I made my last call to ParkLiner today. I told them if they do not return my call within 24 hours I will be filing with the BBB and the North Carolina Consumer Protection and anywhere else I can complain about them. I feel 5 months with no response back from them is more then patient...they havent built hundreds of units, they may have built 50?

I wonder if the reason is that I bought mine used (10 months old, a 2012 born in feb2012, I purchased it in dec 2012) Clearly this is a design oversite on their part and even though I purchased it used the manuf should correct this safety oversite. They have responded to 2 members here in 24 hours and have made a few of the upgrade moving the batteries to the tongue...they still do not return my calls or emails.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #435

Name: Rod
Trailer: 1984 Dolphin
Wisconsin
Last week I e-mailed Parkliner and asked about them and was e-mailed back with in 48 hrs. I was told everything I asked.
Ace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #436

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I made my last call to ParkLiner today. I told them if they do not return my call within 24 hours I will be filing with the BBB and the North Carolina Consumer Protection and anywhere else I can complain about them. I feel 5 months with no response back from them is more then patient...they havent built hundreds of units, they may have built 50?

Deryk what puzzles me just a bit about your (and other owners) situation is I assume that there is some sort of electrical inspection that the PL trailers need to pass as most other manufactures under go. The question is who does those inspection and what agency assuming their is one oversees it? Is there a sticker on your trailer that may give you some clue as to who it is? Have you check the state rules regarding trailer manufacturers in the state the PL is built?

Seems to me that contacting the agency responsible for the inspection of the trailers may result in a faster resolution of the issue as they after all passed yours and other trailers through the system - even though the batteries were installed incorrectly. Might get a faster resolution to the problem through them than perhaps a Consumer Protection agency.... then again maybe not!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #437

New Jersey
Registry
Carol...hmm didn't notice any inspection sticker but will check this weekend.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #438

Registry
Quote:
Carol...hmm didn't notice any inspection sticker but will check this weekend.
Trailer inspection at the manufacturer must be a Canadian thing.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #439

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Trailer inspection at the manufacturer must be a Canadian thing.
Byron that may be but I seem to recall seeing compliance stickers on RV's coming out of the US as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #440

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
RVIA is a sticker applied to those US units that belong to the trade association, not required. Approximately 98% of US manufacturers belong, I do not think Parkliner nor LilSnoozy and possibly EggCamper belong as of yet, as they grow they may have to. Here is a list of standards that members are suppose to adhere to
http://www.rvia.org/?ESID=Standards

Tags
parkliner