Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 23 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #441

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Interesting that Betty Lou was told that the mold will not change and PL has decided to bolt the axles onto the frames. We just passed about 5,000 miles on our trailer, and I am happy to report that we have not experienced any tire rub with our trailer. Our axle is welded to the frame, so I have concluded that the frame builder hit the dimensions just right when building our trailer frame; so when the shell was added, everything lined up perfectly. By bolting the axles onto the frame, they should be able to adjust the axle position slightly once the shell is in place to get the correct alignment and position. Our trailer appears to have room for suspension travel (and some long term sag) without future rubbing issues as well. I have not tested the limits by jumping any curbs or diving into potholes, but we all hit at least some of the bumps going down the road.
mrscottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #442

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscottyg View Post
We just passed about 5,000 miles on our trailer, and I am happy to report that we have not experienced any tire rub with our trailer. Our axle is welded to the frame, so I have concluded that the frame builder hit the dimensions just right when building our trailer frame; so when the shell was added, everything lined up perfectly.
Sadly it would seem that the change in how the axle is install hasnt fully corrected the problem. See the thread today Our New Parkliner. The party picked up their PL in September and has noted signs of tire rubbing in the well wheel. Sad to hear.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #443

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
RVIA is a sticker applied to those US units that belong to the trade association, not required. Approximately 98% of US manufacturers belong, I do not think Parkliner nor LilSnoozy and possibly EggCamper belong as of yet, as they grow they may have to. Here is a list of standards that members are suppose to adhere to
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Standards
So Jim are you saying that the States or Feds themselves dont have any regulations in regards to electrical specifications etc that the trailers must be built to? No inspection required?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #444

Georgia
If I remember correctly, the PL owners who had battery venting issues both indicated that they were plugged into shore power and charging a pair of deeply discharged batteries while sleeping.

The battery location by itself is not a problem; there have been several references of other trailer manufacturers and boat manufacturers that locate the house battery inside the cabin. The PD-4045 location by itself is also not a problem. It's the combination of these items in the same compartment that is the source of this problem.

When the lid to the battery/converter/pump/tank compartment is closed, and the cushions are in place, and you put a person or two sleeping on the cushions, it is very difficult for heat to escape this compartment. With two batteries drawing rated current from the PD-4045, the converter is going to start running hot. The cooling fan for the PD unit uses cabin air for cooling (front-in and front-out), so there is no forced air into the compartment. The PD unit chassis gets very hot at rated load, so it begins warming up the battery compartment. After a couple of hours, the batteries are running hot, so they begin to draw more current. The PD unit accommodates the higher current demand, its temperature rises, and the compartment gets hotter. Since the PD unit continues to get its cooling air from the cabin side, it can tolerate a much higher ambient temperature around its chassis. The compartment continues to warm, the batteries eventually get too hot, the electrolyte begins to boil, and the battery vents relieve the pressure.

All of this can be avoided if this compartment is properly ventilated and/or the charger current is adjusted to compensate for high ambient conditions. The easiest solution is to get some air to flow through the compartment so the heat does not get trapped and cause the batteries to overheat. We went this route versus moving the batteries out front.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #445

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
So what did you do?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #446

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
So what did you do?
Almost all of our camping has been in State Parks with Water and Electric hookups; so I bought this pair of expensive AGM batteries, and we have barely used them.

I top off the batteries at home before we travel, keeping the lid to the compartment cracked to let the heat escape.

If I ever decide what mod I want to actually deploy for a permanent fix, I will be glad to share it with the group.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #447

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscottyg View Post
If I ever decide what mod I want to actually deploy for a permanent fix, I will be glad to share it with the group.
Have you read the battery manufacturer representatives suggestion as to what was wrong with PL install and their recommendations for correct installation of their batteries to be operated safely under all conditions? It can be found under the Smoking Batteries Thread Post #156.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #448

Georgia
Thanks for the reference, Carol. Yes, I participated in that thread as well. Jim's post was helpful. I used his response and that of some other resources to determine the best solution for us.

Jim stated that batteries should not be located in an "enclosed space." In other words, never sit in an air-tight box with a charging battery.

The volume of air in any of these trailers is so small that a release of any gaseous contaminant can become dangerous in a very short amount of time without proper ventilation. Thus, we have some form of ventilation air moving through our trailer at all times. This serves the purposes of keeping the air fresh for our comfort and health, heating or cooling for comfort, and preventing heat buildup (or buildup of vented gases) in the battery compartment.

For indoor environments occupied by people, regarding Indoor Air Quality and contaminant levels: it is said that "the solution to pollution is dilution." That's how we roll
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #449

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I just filed with the BBB and the NC Consumer Protection. I honestly think all the ParkLiner owners whether you made your own fix for the Battery should file a complaint... if they get enough of them Chandler might get motivated to make repairs.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #450

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
OK, I've just quickly skimmed through all 33 pages of this thread. Probably missed a few pertinent pieces of information in the process. Barring that - there are a few things that come to mind with respect to the axles.

The flexrides can be welded in the middle before the cartridges are inserted without potential damage to the rubber, the Dexters can not. Flexrides have a shorter torsion arm than Dexters. That may be a factor in why some scrub and others do not. Flexrides have a greater recommended down angle than Dexter; 24 degrees vs 10 degrees. The arcs created during motion will differ.

Comparing pictures of the various axles with tires off - taken from the side of the trailer may give some insight to the problem and possible solutions.
At what down angle were the flexrides set at? What is the down angle of the Dexters. How were the trailers that have the problem configured. E.g. Make? size? down angle? tire size? rim offsets? Etc. Are the bodies placed in the same position relative to the frame? Axles to frame? Axle to body?

Knowing the details one can go back to the axle manufactures web pages and determine the range of motion. Dexter engineers will give you printouts of this type of information including tire sizes.

Attached is an example of what Dexter gave me for one of the possible axle configurations on my boler American. Note the recommeded 3" clearance around tire diameter on page 2.

I believe I went with this configuration because there was only 0.10" front to rear tire shift between full load and no load. Using the 10 degrees as recommended gave 2.4" up and down movement between no load and full load and 3.34" total for shock load. Doing the math, there is a bout a 1" bounce range to absorb shock.

One should also read the disclaimers on the 5th page as they state a number of variables.
Scan029.pdf

I believe I did catch mention of the tires changing shape at different speeds, pressure and temperature. I seriously doubt that would matter if the 3" recommended clearance was initially provided. The question now becomes how best to fix a design flaw.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #451

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Parkliner issues being fixed

Hello everyone my name is Aaron and hopefully I can help clear up some of these Parkliner Issues. I have been with Parkliner for a year now and I am the company trainer. So just to let everyone know the tire rub issue is being addressed. The master mold HAS been changed and campers with this issue are being fixed. The fiberglass dept is moving the front of fender wells forward to stop rubbing issues. Also in all new Parkliners the Battery/Batteries are being put on the Front of the Camper in a fiberglass battery box. Also campers with the battery issue are being fixed by relocating batts and installing a new battery box on front of camper. Sorry for the lack of communication on our part but we are trying our best to keep up with new builds and rectifying issues on campers that are on the Road.
AmcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #452

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I just filed with the BBB and the NC Consumer Protection. I honestly think all the ParkLiner owners whether you made your own fix for the Battery should file a complaint... if they get enough of them Chandler might get motivated to make repairs.
Deryk,
I have a feeling that you have no warranty with Parkliner since you bought the unit used. Most original manufacturer warranties do not transfer with the second owner. AFAIK Scamp, Casita, and Escape warranties are only with the original purchaser. For example, the person who bought my 2012 Escape with another year on the warranty was told by Escape that it was not transferable. That maybe the reason you have not had a response.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #453

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Aaron, thanks for the post, but I encourage you to keep an ongoing presence here on this forum. I am looking for a fiberglass trailer, probably new, and I have been so discouraged by the reported lack of communication Parkliner has had with customers that I have been tempted to cross you off my list. On the other hand, I really like the layout and the overall build of the Parkliner, and your company is less than an hour from my North Carolina home. I will be watching to see how the tire rub and battery relocation issues are resolved.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #454

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Deryk,
I have a feeling that you have no warranty with Parkliner since you bought the unit used. Most original manufacturer warranties do not transfer with the second owner. AFAIK Scamp, Casita, and Escape warranties are only with the original purchaser. For example, the person who bought my 2012 Escape with another year on the warranty was told by Escape that it was not transferable. That maybe the reason you have not had a response.
I suspect Jim you are correct the warranty is not transferable for repairs but Deryk isnt looking for a repair he is looking for a fix of a major safety issue. One created by the manufacture due to their not following the battery manufactures installation instructions. What he is in need of and what Parkliner should be doing is more like an automotive recall for a safety issue that a fix happens for regardless of whether or not the vehicle is still under warranty or not and who owns it now.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #455

North Carolina
I will be checking the Forum at least three times a day if not more. I am hoping to help with any and all problems with Parkliners on the road and answer questions from new, established, and potential owners.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #456

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thank you for joining FiberglassRV Aaron. There are many of us on the forums following the Parkliner threads... both good and bad. There isn't anyone here that doesn't hope Parkliner succeeds, truly. Please pay attention to emails you receive. We ALL know how important Customer Service is for a new company. AND we're all pulling for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #457

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Aaron from Parkliner,
does Parlinker have a warranty? I could not find any mention of it on your website. If so, where can one obtain a copy of the terms and conditions of the warranty? A few owners mentioned here that they did not receive a paper document when they bought one, Thanks in advance.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #458

North Carolina
Yes all Parkliners have a two year warranty not sure about a paper copy but I will find out and post the info as so as I know
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #459

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Hello Aaron, Glad you have joined this forum......Maybe I have missed it somewhere,but I think it would be real good for you and for ParkLiner ,I think you should start a new thread that is an introduction of yourself and what kind of work you do as well as some of your interest outside of work.

This is a GREAT group of people we are all friends here that all try to help each other and give each other support with our campers and the things( upkeep,remodels) that is done with them.Because we are all friend(almost family) we are also a good support group for each other in Good times and Hard times.

I think that because you work for a fiberglass trailer company you already know a lot about fiberglass trailers,but IF you hang around here much you will learn even room about fiberglass campers and the wonderful people that own them.You will learn what they like,dislike need don't need and as you learn all of those things you can help your company develop and even Better camper than you have now. As well as help them develop a better understanding of the type of people that want and but fiberglass campers.

Again Welcome to the group and I hope we all get to know you better and that you in turn get to know us better too......because this is a great group of people.

Happy Camping............sure hope you are a happy camper with a love for camping and all things related to camping.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #460

North Carolina
Lynn Thankyou for the warm welcome and I also hope for this to be a good learning tool for me personally and also for our company as a whole.

Tags
parkliner