Parkliner Tire Rub issues? - Page 29 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #393

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Sounds interesting... wonder how much tongue weight is going to be added for 2 of those bad boy batteries up front along with 2 propane tanks.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #394

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post

Off topic, but a reply to your comment:

: ) He is. The second part of the email Chandler sent tonight was the battery box fix. He has a "Kit" that any automotive or trailer repair shop can install to place the existing _bench_ batteries at the tongue.
This is a photo posted on this site showing a Parkliner for sale with the batteries on the tongue.

It appears to me from the photo that the batteries are not in a box but rather are exposed to the road dirt and weather. I wonder if this is the fix being proposed by Parkliner. If it was my trailer, I think that I would rather have my batteries enclosed in a protective case.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #395

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
I noticed that also Dave and i agree with your observation. Here in the PNW i would never think of having batteries exposed to the elements. One good pour like we had last weekend (~6" in two days) and the battery system would be toast.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #396

New Jersey
Registry
Also what is the tongue weight going to be? I was at around 290lbs with dry water tanksand 2 full propane tanks...Im sure it lightens up some when Im going away for the weekend... but I come home with dry water tanks. Im not feeling comfortable with adding 87 pounds to my tongue since I have a 350lb tongue limit(400 per the hitch while using a wdh...I prefer not maxing it out lol).

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #397

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Are you guys saying rain water on them will conduct across the posts and that is dangerous or and you talking about them being exposed and the cold weather will do them in faster? I Don't know anything about batteries or DC current is the reason for me asking. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #398

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Having exposed battery terminals adjacent to propane tanks does not appeal to me from a safety standpoint and it appears if you put the batteries in a case they would not fit
Old 10-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #399

Trailer: Escape
Registry
You could at least get some plastic or rubber terminal covers to mitigate the inadvertent short circuit risk.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #400

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Ken,
The rainwater isn't so much the culprit, its the dust and road dirt, coupled with the moisture, which can create stray current paths between the posts and also to the frame. Besides becoming a "current vampire" slowly sucking the juice from the battery, it also invites corrosion of the battery posts and cable terminals.

I also agree with Steve that I'm not keen on the prospects of having the exposed battery posts in such close proximity to the metal propane tanks. For example, if you were to have a wrench on the positive battery cable, and were attempting to loosen it for removal, what would happen to your wrench if you should simultaneously touch it to the metal propane tank, (which is grounded to the frame simply by being in contact with it?) Your wrench is now an instant welding rod, and God forbid you should burn an electric arc induced hole into your propane tank, KER BOOM!
Not a well conceived design in my opinion.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #401

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
It appears from the photo that if you moved the propane tanks forward you would have room to put the batteries in a case and no longer need to cut the back out of the propane tank cover, but then it also appears that you could no longer have room to turn the handle on the front jack

Oh well! Back to the Drawing Board
Old 10-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #402

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
At first glance that scenario is really scary - but is the photo shown only a suggested solution or is that actually on a trailer being sold? Who determines safety issues on all these trailers (PK or any other brand)? Are there permits or inspections? Any group like Underwriters Laboratories? This is a bigger question than just PK and batteries. Is it up to us consumers to know all about this (I have ordered a Snoozy and am wondering about any possible safety issues there)? Presumably, the owner (Chandler) is experienced and wants to put out a safe and good product.

Moderator's note: the following posts that address Melanie's question about safety inspection/requirements are being moved out of this thread to Who vets the safety issues on these little campers?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #403

New Jersey
Registry
In prior postings I remember hearing other brands have the batteries up front or on the backside... can owners post some photo's of their setup?

Im still leaning towards venting my 2 batteries from their present location under the rear dinette just because of the increase in tongue weight. I currently travel with my 90+ pound generator in the entry way and thats why my tongue weight is close to 290lbs with 2 full propane tanks and a full 7 gallon water jug in the bathroom, plus a gallon or so of water in the porta potty. I would prefer not driving with the generator in my Rav4...I guess the extra 7 gallons of water could stay in my tv...I just dont know how I feel about it.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #404

Name: Kris
Trailer: Previous 2012 Park Liner, New Parkliner Ordered
Alabama
I have the trailer for sale. I took the camper to Parkliner in Gibsonville, NC for the battery repair. Chandler and his technician did the repairs. I did not do them myself. He told me that this was how they were mounting the batteries on all of the new models and that it is a common mount in these types of trailers. I am completely honest and transparent about any issues with the camper (hence the ad). I love the camper and do not even want to sell it. I lost my job, sold my house, and finally selling my camper. I think anyone buying any type of camper should be prepared for maintenance issues along the way. It just goes with the camper life...
Old 10-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #405

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I can see a couple of changes that would make this whole battery thing be ok. One is to make a fiberglass or plastic cover to cover both the batteries and propane tanks like Bigfoot does. You wouldn't need the standard propane cover. The other get rid of metal battery hold down straps and go with a plastic type of hold down or composition of some sort. Most automobiles have a clamp at lower lip of the battery.

As for worry about contacting the propane tank with a wrench when removing a battery a simple non-conductive shield would protect that.

The cut away off the shelf propane tank cover looks like a band aide and an engineered solution.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #406

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
A non-conductive shield would be good, provided that people think about using one before they apply the wrench to it.

Tags
parkliner